never heard the term "skinny fat" before joining this forum

Options
at first i thought people were talking about women who are skinny but with thick thighs or arms.

then i see pictures of what people are considering "skinny fat", and it's pretty much skinny people who don't have that beach body.

stop being insecure, people. any person who is fat or obese would kill to be "skinny fat"

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It means someone who is thin but still has a high percentage of body fat which is still unhealthy. Usually people who have dieted without any exercise to build lean muscle mass.
  • marci1027
    Options
    at first i thought people were talking about women who are skinny but with thick thighs or arms.

then i see pictures of what people are considering "skinny fat", and it's pretty much skinny people who don't have that beach body.

stop being insecure, people. any person who is fat or obese would kill to be "skinny fat"

this is SO true. i actually have a gird friend who just tonight referred to herself as skinny fat after i called her a toothpick. so annoying, lol
  • skyline2055
    skyline2055 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer at a gym I was joining call me skinny fat when he was trying to sell me training sessions. I was 5'5", and less than 125 pounds.
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I was skinny fat when I started my journey into this stuff. I couldn't squat the barbell as a 26 year old male, 6'1 and 175lbs...... very weak. I probably had 120lbs of lean body mass and 55lbs of fat on me!!

That's 31% body fat, classified as OBESE. OBESE as a 6'1 175lb man. That is skinny fat right there.
  • binknbaby
    binknbaby Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    The first time I heard it was from my fmr. trainer, and the way she used it was talking about people who are thin but they eat poorly and therefore have the clinical problems that many obese people have, such as T2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, etc. I didn't realize it could also refer to someone who simply wasn't "toned" until I came here and used the term myself (in reference to the way my trainer said it) and got jumped for it. LOL
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    It refers to an actual body composition, where people have a healthy bodyweight per BMI scales but a disproportionately high and/or unhealthy level of body fat (which correlates to low muscle mass and/or low bone density).

But I do agree that it's often used inappropriately as a dig here on the forums. But, it is an actual thing. Also called "Normal weight obesity."

Also, it wasn't invented here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fem1iucqnE
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Also, it wasn't invented here
    Yeah that was the (probably obscure) point of the second post in the thread. ;)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I had 29% body fat but had a BMI of 24 when I started. Obese is over 30% body fat. Skinny fat is used to describe someone who looks to be of normal weight but is carrying way too much body fat and not enough lean body mass.

I've lost only 15 pounds, but I've gone from a size 12 jeans down to a size 2.

That is what is meant by skinny fat--normal sized but still dangerously unhealthy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I had never heard of it before MFP either. I thought it was encouraging people to have ED's and starve themselves till they had no fat at all, what-so-ever. Or I thought it was an insult that people used to make themselves feel better.

But, with time people that are "skinny fat" explained to me that they were skinny fat and that it means being at a "normal" weight, but having excess fat or flab (not just the normal smooth layer over top the muscles on the curvier parts of the body such as the booty.

People do completely misunderstand it and overuse it, though. And that was why I misunderstood it initially because it was being used incorrectly (and the same people using it incorrectly seemed to think they had scientific data to back up their absurdity).
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    Interesting...
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I had 29% body fat but had a BMI of 24 when I started. Obese is over 30% body fat. Skinny fat is used to describe someone who looks to be of normal weight but is carrying way too much body fat and not enough lean body mass.

I've lost only 15 pounds, but I've gone from a size 12 jeans down to a size 2.

That is what is meant by skinny fat--normal sized but still dangerously unhealthy.

This. And it's all the joys of looking okay in clothes ( NOT naked) and all the health effects of being obese.

It is a term widely used, and not just for people without "beach bodies". I was 32% body fat. I was deficit in vitamin D, B, A, iron, folate, and had difficulty sleeping, breathing, walking up stairs, and high blood pressure.

I was told I was skinny fat by my DOCTOR.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I got that way after chemo and it has taken a year and a half so far to try to change my body composition. It's a lot of work, and I definitely qualified at 34% bf and 132 lbs. at 5'7"
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

This term has been around far longer than MFP. And you're wrong on your definition by way.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I've been called "skinny fat" by people who just wanted to hurt my feelings. The truth is I'm "skinny toned." I am thin and athletic, with a BMI of 20 and body fat at 22%, which is in the bottom half of the healthy female range. I think jealous and/or mean people like to come up with nasty names they can call people who aren't like themselves. It doesn't hurt my feelings, because I know I'm right where I want to be, but it does make me think poorly of them. It's pathetic really. Like that whole real women have curves garbage...all women are real women.

ETA: Skinny fat is a real thing, it just gets misused ALL the damn time. :tongue:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I was skinny fat when I started my journey into this stuff. I couldn't squat the barbell as a 26 year old male, 6'1 and 175lbs...... very weak. I probably had 120lbs of lean body mass and 55lbs of fat on me!!

That's 31% body fat, classified as OBESE. OBESE as a 6'1 175lb man. That is skinny fat right there.

Isn't that crazy how you can be at a "healthy" weight but still be obese?!

The American Council on Exercise provides the following ranges for body-fat percentage:

Essential fat
    Women10-12%
    Men 2-4%

Athletes
    Women 14-20%
    Men 6-13%

Fitness
    Women 21-24%
    Men 14-17%

Acceptable
    Women 25-31%
    Men 18-25%

Obese
    Women 32% plus
    Men 26% plus
  • Bumbeen
    Bumbeen Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Isn't that crazy how you can be at a "healthy" weight but still be obese?!

The American Council on Exercise provides the following ranges for body-fat percentage:

Essential fat
    Women10-12%
    Men 2-4%

Athletes
    Women 14-20%
    Men 6-13%

Fitness
    Women 21-24%
    Men 14-17%

Acceptable
    Women 25-31%
    Men 18-25%

Obese
    Women 32% plus
    Men 26% plus

I am around 14-15% BF now with ~150lbs of LBM.. I consider this a little better than the average individual, but not by much. It took me 2 years of learning and gyming and eating properly to get to this from my previous sad state. I hope the next 2 years I get to 175lb LBM.....
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    if that is what those people want, good on them. That is not what I want. No, not for you or him or her or them, but for me. I'm happy I gained weight and lost body fat, personally. For me, it has nothing to do with insecurity. For me, its more "look good, feel good..."

bodyfatdifference.jpg
  • umachanxo
    umachanxo Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    You do realize that you can be very thin and extremely unhealthy, right?
    You do realize that just because someone is thin doesn't mean they're muscle, right?
    You do realize that if they don't have muscle, they have a higher percentage of body fat, right?
    Hence, skinny fat.