Fruit and Sugar... I'm so confused.

Options
msbanana
msbanana Posts: 793 Member
I didn't realize we could see the MFP nutritional suggestion for sugar intake until this weekend. I've been going about my business eating all my servings of fruits and veggies because, well, I'm pretty sure that's what I'm supposed to do with the whole getting healthy thing... I went back and looked at my food diary for the last week and a half and I went over my sugars everyday- (Shut up about the chocolate cake- it was a birthday and I didn't know it had 1000 calories until after I ate it :noway: ) My question is how do you maintain the sugars and still get all your fruit servings? I'm allergic to a lot of fruit so maybe it's the kind I'm eating? The days I didn't go over my sugar suggestion I didn't eat much fruit... Any gurus have input? Should I even really be worried about this? Am I obsessing? I might be obsessing...:grumble:

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    the majority of your fruit and veggie portions should actually be veggies.

One thing to remember though, is that fruit sugar isn't quite so bad as white sugar, so going over in sugar by a few and having it be fruit, isn't really that bad. That doesn't mean you should have 4 or 5 servings of fruit a day, but it does mean that it's not the end of the world if you're over by 3 to 5 grams of sugar a day and it's mostly fruit.
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    find fruit you don't have reactions to. Our bodies process natural sugars differently than naughty sugars (like cake & candy). I'm a lot more relaxed about going over on sugar because of noshing fruit all day as opposed to a candy bar.
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    i was worried about the same thing. I think if you eat sugars from fruits and you go over, its not that big of a deal because its good sugars. If you are going over because of baked goods, processed stuff, thats a difference story. I believe the sugar from fruit is metabolized faster and differently. I obsess about it too. I try to just not go over a ton on any of the items.
  • lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Don't track sugars. If you are eating fruit and veggies, those sugars are metabolized much more slowly. Refined products like sugar, white flour, and juice are bad since they are convereted almost instantly to glucose in your blood stream. If you're not diabetic, you should only be worried about watching added sweeteners both natural and artificial.