What is in your backpack???

Options
When you hike how much does your backpack weight and what is in it?

Replies

• Healthydiner65
    Healthydiner65 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    No hikers?
  • OutsideCreativ
    OutsideCreativ Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Like a day hike? Or a two week galivant through the wilderness?

A day hike I would imagine not more than a couple Nalgenes of water, a rain jacket and some trail mix... actually backpacking, I've taken as much as 30 lb of gear (too much!)
  • jahilmer
    Options
    Sorry pal, I was working all day yesterday so this is the quickest I could think about it and reply. I always carry bear spray, a knife, water sometimes, a phone, Kleenex/paper towel and I usually walk with a long stick that has a spear on the end. This last item is because there are a lot of dogs that run loose out here in the country and also we have cougar and I like late PM hikes. If I am all by myself, I pack a PBK 380 concealed which basically is James Bond's gun. Mostly I take this for my own safety and it is, unfortunately, not for bears. Jane In Montanan
  • kitinboots
    kitinboots Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Lots of water, sunscreen, food (this is not the time to avoid carbs), a hoodie and depending on weather a raincoat. Some money too just in case.
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to put my mace and a protein bar in, a phone, camera, ipod. and water.I also wear a hat with a rim and my face lotion has SPF 15!
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Extra boots, socks, Ka-bar, MRE, Gortex jacket and pants (works for rain or cold), e-tool on the side, first aid kit, extra shirt, camel bak, poncho and if I'm just hiking at a local park for fun, a couple weights.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the Mountaineers and they agree with the Boy Scouts in that we should always be prepared for a worst-case scenario. Even on a short day hike, you could slide into a ravine, break a leg, and need some emergency supplies (as just one extreme worst case scenario).

So I never go on even a short day hike without The 10 Essentials:
    Navigation (map & compass)
    Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)
    Insulation (extra clothing)
    Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
    First-aid supplies
    Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candle)
    Repair kit and tools
    Nutrition (extra food)
    Hydration (extra water)
    Emergency shelter (tent/plastic tube tent/garbage bag)

How much of this I carry depends on general weather, weather trends during that time of year, where I'm hiking (busy trails with lots of people vs. going where I'm unlikely to see somebody else), etc.

The minimum I carry for a short day hike is:
    * my combination whistle/compass/flint container that also stores waterproof/windproof matches. It also has a small signal mirror inside the cap to attract rescue teams. Pretty small so not sure how well it would actually work but it's there. And a small sandwich baggie with a few fire-starters. I only carry a map if really going into the back-country so it would be rare to need that on a day-hike. (navigation and fire)
    * of course one should always carry a water bottle. Mine has a filtration system so, in a worst case scenario, I can refill it out of a gunky stream. I also carry a few iodine tablets in a teensy plastic bag and a few NUUNs. (hydration)
    * a stick that is a combo sunscreen/lip balm. Not much bigger than a chap stick. I only carry sunglasses if I'm going up onto snowfields as, in my area, intense sun is usually not a problem and I'm usually hiking in areas that are dense forest. (sun protection)
    * small first aid kit, fits in a sandwich baggie (1st aid)
    * teensy flashlight with a couple extra AAA batteries (illumination)
    * small Swiss-army style knife with a couple, super-small container of dental floss, a few feet of duct tape rolled up (repairs)
    * small space blanket and plastic poncho (shelter)
    * some combination of a few of these: protein bar, granola bar, NUUN, Gu, nuts, Snickers, packet of Emergen-Cee (nutrition). Amount depends on length of day hike and how isolated the area is.
    * Insulation really varies. Is it a warm day in August and I'm not going high altitude and in an isolated area, then I typically don't carry anything extra and just hope that, in an emergency bivouac, that my space blanket and poncho will suffice. Depending on various factors, I might add some UnderArmour Coldgear, a water-resistant windbreaker, hat/gloves, a thin but warm Merino wool cardigan, wear my shorts with zip-on pant legs and pack the legs, whatever.

Everything fits in a small lumbar-pack and, except for the bottle of water, weighs just a couple of pounds. Of course, the insulation can vary and, if it's winter or I'm going into a more isolated area or whatever, might require that I move everything into a small daypack because of volume. However, the weight stays quite low because I've been careful to purchase light-weight items that pack fairly small to do the job. Never more than about 10-12# including weight of water of pack. But can be as low as 3-4# if just carrying the minimum.

Of course, if planning on something more technical, might need to pack some climbing rope, caribiners, etc., but I didn't think you were asking about that type of stuff, LOL.

ETA: fully-charged cellphone in a plastic baggie in case I get caught in a downpour. Typically turned off to preserve battery just in case I'm injured and need it to function for several days while searching for a signal.

Obviously, if you're talking multi-day backpacking trips, the weight and volume go up. If you're interested in keeping weight down, search out some of the ultra-light websites for tips. I am for as ultra-light as possible while still maintaining come creature comforts. I'm not an extremist like some but I've embraced the concept as much as I believe is practical.
  • jimmie65
    jimmie65 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Right now it weighs 30 lbs and is loaded with ankle and wrist weights.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    On a casual day hike I have a 2Ls of water in my hydration back, then a jacket, whistle, protein bar and maybe some frozen grapes and chapstick and poop bags for the dog.

It really depends on how far I'm hiking though and who I am going with. If I am going solo I tend to take more just in case, if it is a casual trail with friends I pack a lot lighter.
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    On my last backpacking trip we forgot a flashlight! not like I wanted to leave the tent after dark anyways but its now at the top of the list for my next adventure =P
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    The answer is: it depends. On where I am going, what the weather is, and what goal I am trying to accomplish. If I'm walking to Starbucks, I probably have my computer, the power supply and an assortment of electronics and/or cables packed in a ziplock bag. If not, the computer and teh peripherals stay home.

I have my head lamp and tail lamp for evening.nighttime walks, an MP3 player. I always pack my camera, an extra set of batteries, and a compact set of binoculars. I also carry a rainfly/packfly that stores in its own mini-stuff sack. My cell phone is usually on my hip, but I carry a small battery pack and a lightweight solar charger.

At least one carabiner and one stainless steel bottle of water (if I was backpacking I'd go to a lighter weight bottle). If I'm going to be gone for several hours, there will be two bottles of water. Usually a couple of granola bars as snacks. The pack may contain an extra layer of clothing that I have because I might need to put it on if things are too coll, or the ones I stripped off because I got too warm.

Without the computer, it is usually less than 10 pounds. With the computer it is closer to 20.

I often hike to the store to get groceries. The computer (usually) stays home, but it is not unusual for me to return with the pack weighing between 30-35 pounds. I have a very large pack that I've loaded with groceries before that returned home at closer to 55 pounds (pack empty weight about 6 pounds).

I often use trekking poles on these trips with the greater weight. It is easier on the legs and back and helps get other muscles involved in the movement.
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    When I did the Wonderland Trail (encircles Mount Rainier, Washington) my pack weighed-in at 60 pounds to start. As fuel and food was consumed the pack got lighter.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    I'm a member of the Mountaineers and they agree with the Boy Scouts in that we should always be prepared for a worst-case scenario. Even on a short day hike, you could slide into a ravine, break a leg, and need some emergency supplies (as just one extreme worst case scenario).

So I never go on even a short day hike without The 10 Essentials:
    Navigation (map & compass)
    Sun protection (sunglasses & sunscreen)
    Insulation (extra clothing)
    Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)
    First-aid supplies
    Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candle)
    Repair kit and tools
    Nutrition (extra food)
    Hydration (extra water)
    Emergency shelter (tent/plastic tube tent/garbage bag)

How much of this I carry depends on general weather, weather trends during that time of year, where I'm hiking (busy trails with lots of people vs. going where I'm unlikely to see somebody else), etc.

The minimum I carry for a short day hike is:
    * my combination whistle/compass/flint container that also stores waterproof/windproof matches. It also has a small signal mirror inside the cap to attract rescue teams. Pretty small so not sure how well it would actually work but it's there. And a small sandwich baggie with a few fire-starters. I only carry a map if really going into the back-country so it would be rare to need that on a day-hike. (navigation and fire)
    * of course one should always carry a water bottle. Mine has a filtration system so, in a worst case scenario, I can refill it out of a gunky stream. I also carry a few iodine tablets in a teensy plastic bag and a few NUUNs. (hydration)
    * a stick that is a combo sunscreen/lip balm. Not much bigger than a chap stick. I only carry sunglasses if I'm going up onto snowfields as, in my area, intense sun is usually not a problem and I'm usually hiking in areas that are dense forest. (sun protection)
    * small first aid kit, fits in a sandwich baggie (1st aid)
    * teensy flashlight with a couple extra AAA batteries (illumination)
    * small Swiss-army style knife with a couple, super-small container of dental floss, a few feet of duct tape rolled up (repairs)
    * small space blanket and plastic poncho (shelter)
    * some combination of a few of these: protein bar, granola bar, NUUN, Gu, nuts, Snickers, packet of Emergen-Cee (nutrition). Amount depends on length of day hike and how isolated the area is.
    * Insulation really varies. Is it a warm day in August and I'm not going high altitude and in an isolated area, then I typically don't carry anything extra and just hope that, in an emergency bivouac, that my space blanket and poncho will suffice. Depending on various factors, I might add some UnderArmour Coldgear, a water-resistant windbreaker, hat/gloves, a thin but warm Merino wool cardigan, wear my shorts with zip-on pant legs and pack the legs, whatever.

Everything fits in a small lumbar-pack and, except for the bottle of water, weighs just a couple of pounds. Of course, the insulation can vary and, if it's winter or I'm going into a more isolated area or whatever, might require that I move everything into a small daypack because of volume. However, the weight stays quite low because I've been careful to purchase light-weight items that pack fairly small to do the job. Never more than about 10-12# including weight of water of pack. But can be as low as 3-4# if just carrying the minimum.

Of course, if planning on something more technical, might need to pack some climbing rope, caribiners, etc., but I didn't think you were asking about that type of stuff, LOL.

ETA: fully-charged cellphone in a plastic baggie in case I get caught in a downpour. Typically turned off to preserve battery just in case I'm injured and need it to function for several days while searching for a signal.

Obviously, if you're talking multi-day backpacking trips, the weight and volume go up. If you're interested in keeping weight down, search out some of the ultra-light websites for tips. I am for as ultra-light as possible while still maintaining come creature comforts. I'm not an extremist like some but I've embraced the concept as much as I believe is practical.

^ Agree with this post.

I did a lot of backpacking in college, and this is pretty much what I did.
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Day hike or backpacking?

Day Hike:
    Water, food, sunscreen, camera

Backpacking:
    sleeping bag
    food
    cooking utensils
    rope
    water filter
    hydration tablets
    fire starter
    change of undies
    bear spray/whistle
    jacket
    flask of vodka
    wine
  • DrBroPHD
    DrBroPHD Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    3 days food
    water
    flash light
    spare batteries
    FN FNP9mm + 3 mags
    4 AR15 30 round mags
    Level 4 armor plate
    Knife
    3 smoke grenades
    and a gameboy advance
  • For a one day hike it is normally :

A clean pair of socks
    Lots of water
    Waterproof Jacket
    Lunch
    Maps
    Towel
    Mobile Phone
    Snacks
    Normally a pair of trainers (To change out of boots at the end)
    Camera

Backpack normally weighs about 15kg but that is because of the amount of water I carry, of course it gets lighter through the day!
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    3 days food
    water
    flash light
    spare batteries
    FN FNP9mm + 3 mags
    4 AR15 30 round mags
    Level 4 armor plate
    Knife
    3 smoke grenades
    and a gameboy advance

I have that pack, too. But I don't use it in the parks around here.
  • EstiloPanama
    Options
    I hiked around Glacier National Park with my fiance..very fun : )

We took water, the camera, snacks (like trail mix, beef jerky), sunglasses , knife, a map of the area and a wildflower guide...

Next time we go camping, we are NOT taking that huge professional camera he had us lug around. It's a point and shoot next time! That thing got really heavy!

Oh next time, we are also taking bear spray. That was my first real hike, and I still feel paranoid about bears. Hehe

Some suggest to take a first aid kit. Have fun : ) I can't wait for the weather to clear up. I would LOVE to go hiking again !
  • amberlykay1014
    amberlykay1014 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    Backpacking for Winter Camping: Gregory Deva 70 Pack

In & Under the lid:
    headlamp
    handwarmers
    nuun tablets
    lighter
    fire starter
    accessory cord
    Wet wipes towlettes
    biodegradable toilet paper
    trowel
    tissues

In the front stash pocket:
    down gloves to go over liners
    snack items, like beef jerky, cheese, granola...
    rain shell
    CLIF shot bloks
    extra beanie or balaclava
    lint or newspaper for fire starting

In the main compartments:
    0 degree sleeping bag
    sleeping bag liner
    air mat w/ repair kit
    stuff sack pillow filled with extra insulating jackets, vests, socks & baselayers
    (my fiancee carries the tent)
    cookset with MSR Dragonfly & Mountain House foods
    water filter
    nalgene
    HydroFlask with wine
    bear bag w/ cord
    MicroSpikes
    medical kit
    Lite Seat

We also always have:
    phone
    camera
    knives
    Joshua Tree lip balm
    ax for chopping wood
    Black Diamond trekking poles
    hydration reservoirs
  • Healthydiner65
    Options
    WOW! I was way off! Thank you so much. I wrote down numerous things to add to my pack.It will be day hiking but many hours! The High Sierras has hundreds of hiking trails.