eating junk and losing weight?

Options
I'm so confused .. i used to eat like KFC or McDonalds everyday for lunch i would snack on chips.. then we decided to do the biggest loser at work so the first week i lost 4lbs.. then i was up and down so i was good for 2 weeks straight then on friday i had a med fry from mcdonalds i woke up the next day the smallest i've ever been 138 then i ate healthy the next 2 days and went up to 142 .. then the other day i was like you know what im going to have a treat today i had 2 starbucks and a piece of birthday cake weighed mysef the next day and was back down to 138 why am i losing weight when i eat something not so healthy??

Replies

• ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    correlation does not equal causation. Sounds like a normal weight fluctuation from day to day, and the weight loss overall is a result of an overall calorie deficit.
  • bdamaster60
    bdamaster60 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    To be healthy, you have to eat healthy. To lose fat, eat what ever you want.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    BeerCat_zpsbac2f38d.jpg
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    correlation does not equal causation. Sounds like a normal weight fluctuation from day to day, and the weight loss overall is a result of an overall calorie deficit.

This. Try not to stress so much over daily fluctuations. You'll drive yourself crazy that way.
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Yeah at my work my coworkers were messing around and weighed themselves before and after eating using the restroom, drinking water and such and weight will fluctuate back and forth daily. Weigh yourself each week to get a better idea. Also if you have cravings like that you should find healthy alternatives! I have had a ton of fry cravings but I have learned to make sweet potatoes at home by baking them. If you soak them for 10 minutes deal them in tinfoil for 10 minutes and bake at 450 then cook for another 10 minutes, turn and cook another 10 minutes it makes crispy fries with chewy insides! Yummm you should definitely try them! :)
  • Star_Basil
    Options
    This may be TMI but junk food like McDonalds tend to sprint through my system so if I were to weigh myself the day following eating McDonalds I would probably be lighter as well.

Weight change like that you've noted is pretty normal and can be attributed to many things such as water weight, sodium intake resulting in water retension, hormonal shifts, bowel movements etc.
  • slim_goody
    Options
    i had that issue with the fluctuating weight. now i am losing again, with the helpful posts on here. i do have a weakness for cherry sours, and a bag from walmart is almost 1015 calories, i had two throughout the day today. luckily i burned over 1,000 plus cals exercising today, which left me with a deficit, so i was lucky. i cannot afford another night like this or it will be an issue. i eat helthy otherwise, but those things are like crack lol.
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    It could be that you eat over your calories & gain fat, but lose muscle, when you eat unhealthy food, or it could simply be a normal fluctuation in weight that coincidentally happens when you are "junk" food instead of whatever healthy food you like.
  • CloneSN
    CloneSN Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BeerCat_zpsbac2f38d.jpg

LOL! :drinker:
  • ThriftyChica12
    ThriftyChica12 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    To be healthy, you have to eat healthy. To lose fat, eat what ever you want.

this is true. depends on what your priorities are, your long term goals, and your desire to maintain a loss.

weighing no more than once a week keeps me sane. i often suggest the same to others :)
  • Kellyeee2013
    Options
    That is a lot of weight fluctuation. I would stick to weighing yourself in the morning ONCE a week on the same morning to have a better idea of your weight.
  • avasano
    avasano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    You can weigh as much as 5lbs more if you have to ...poop. It isn't that weird. Don't over think it. I would stay away from the cake and McDonalds but that is just me. ;)
  • barebon
    barebon Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Just did the same thing but I was eating way under my calories and it helped kick my body out of the idea that I was starving. This is my thought behind it!