"fat girl/boy complex" after losing a lot of weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• Gabriall
    Gabriall Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i failed to see the loss so badly that my self distructiveness and emotional binge eating caused me to put all 10 stone back on....well just over 3 stone down again, being veryverycareful to document in ways my eyes can not deny - measurements/photographs/clothing etc..
  • Alisha_countrymama
    Alisha_countrymama Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    Yes I have this...I have alot of skin issues now, saggy skin. It's bad. So I still look in the mirror and see a fat girl.
  • Nadbeaner
    Nadbeaner Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way after all the weight I have lost I feel more self conscious than I did before. We need to not beat ourselves up but instead look how far we have come! (o:
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Change is hardest on the mind, not on the body. That is why poor people who win multi million lottery jackpots are poor again in a short period of time and why so many people who manage to lose weight and get in shape go back to where they started, or worse.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    i still have fatboy complex terribly. i've lost 70 pounds over the last year and still feel as disgusting as i did at my heaviest. there are times i'll look in the mirror and still see my former fat self as i'm still far from my goal. really sucks, but i'm hoping to get over it soon

Yeah, I know how you feel. Losing weight hasn't changed my self-image at all, I still think I look the exact same, certainly no better, just a bit smaller.

I'm actually quite a bit more aware of how *weak* I am when it comes to strength. The number on the scale is OK, and I have no desire for it go down that much - but my body proportions are just all wrong.
  • dianebpotter
    Options
    Yes, and yes again. I have on several different times lost large amounts of weight by fasting etc, hence why I am here this time to do it right. I never ever really could see myself in the mirror differently, I was always still that fat girl. Reality was i had lost 100 pounds in 6 months, but other than clothing size changing, I never seen it . My friends and family kept telling me I looked so good, but I thought it was just pity for the fat girl. I of course gained it all back plus more, because I still never had * SEEN* the results and got frustrated because I was still fat.

I think that is why so many people suffer from eating disorders today, because of their own self image of themselves aren't clear they can't get pass seeing the fat girl /guy in the mirror no matter if they weigh 150 or 98.

I have gave this a lot of thought this time through because I want to be successful long term and not just temporary as before. Once I have lost at least 75 (half my goal of 150) I am going to attend counseling. I think this will not only allow me to help absorb the fact that I have worked hard to achieve this goal, I believe our journey is not just body but also mind. We have to do something to change our self image of ourselves so that all our hard work doesn't go unnoticed to us the main reason why are losing weight or becoming healthier or more fit whatever the case may be.
  • prokomds
    prokomds Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    I think it takes the brain some time to catch up with the body, no question. Readjusting your mind to being fitter is hard, but it's a good problem to have.

My suggestion is to take some pictures when you're feeling happy, feeling comfortable in your body (maybe an outfit that you're proud of, maybe when you're out with friends, whatever). Something positive that you can look at when you're feeling down. Look at how happy I was on that day - not nitpicking that you could still lose an inch here, an inch there. Find positive memories that you can remind yourself of in your bad moments. It's hard! It's definitely hard, but would you rather still be at your bigger size? You know you've made huge progress, you have to find a way to wrap your head around it and have some pride in that fact.
  • LauraDotts
    LauraDotts Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Taking pictures along the way is helping me. I still have a lot of weight to lose. So, when I look in the mirror I still see how fat I am. Seeing pictures of where I was and where I am now lets me see that, yes, I am 80 pounds lighter.
  • Evachiquita
    Evachiquita Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    As others have said, it's all mental at this point. Sometimes I do not feel like the fit person I have become. And I have friends and co-workers who tell me all the time how good I look and how awesome it is that I'm so active and racing bikes. But sometimes when I look in the mirror I still see all the weight I want to lose, especially compared to other racers and people in the biking/fitness community. Other times though I see a new fit, happy, healthy person who's constantly working to make her life better. All that being said, I want to wear a bikini for the first time this summer, and feel good in it. That is going to be the hard part!

Also just focus on all the positive things in your life. And keep telling yourself that you are attractive, beautiful (inside and out), amazing, smart, funny, and whatever else it is you want to believe about yourself. Positive thinking can go a long way! I know that yoga has helped me with my mental health the past few years, maybe you could give it a try? Or find some self-help books to read.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    Ha yah it can take such a long time. My doctor asked my weight last week and I went "334" without even thinking, even though I haven't been that for over a year.
  • SkinnyCapricorn82
    Options
    Same here...went from 217 to 140 and yeah still have that complex....I still grab the largest sizes in the stores when I go shopping...then I realize that I am actually a small-medium but when I hold up those smalls and mediums first thought is 'that will NOT fit'. It's been over a year...I thought that I would be over that by now :/
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    It's not just females that have this problem. My hubby is down 150 lbs and still thinks he is the same 400+ lb guy. It's hard. It's also a mental thing. If you find yourself wanting to continue to lose weight when you're clearly in the healthy range then I think you should talk to a professional about that. It's easy to spiral down into an eating disorder.