Dammit!

Options
I couldn't resist a tiny bit of a sneak peak this morning and weighed myself in. I'm down, but only a TINY, TINY bit :( Feels like kind of a drop in the ocean when I think of how far I am from my goal weight. What do you do in moments like these, when you don't feel like all your hard work is paying off? And what are your biggest NSVs? I seriously need a motivation boost right now, I feel SO deflated :(

Replies

• alaskaang
    alaskaang Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Don't know how long you've been at it, but it takes time. Also, weight can fluctuate on a daily basis. It's the overall trend that matters. If you are going to weigh frequently, you have to be able to take some ups and downs. Something as simple as more sodium than usual one day can be water retention of a couple pounds.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    i just weigh myself once a week. i measure every two weeks. i lost one pound this week, but its still a loss. i wanna lose the weight so i have to keep going. concentrate on eating well and exercising hard you will be fine. dont give up and remember why u are doing this
  • nataliescalories
    nataliescalories Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Just try to hang in there. Make sure you're getting the correct caloric intake for your body. Take measurements--it really does help. I just did measurements to compare the past two weeks here are the numbers (because you asked for NSV): 1.25 inches lost on each arm. Hips down 1 inch. Waist down 2 inches!. Thighs down 1.5 inches each. Now, I have an extra long journey ahead of me, but that's a big boost. I also get my body fat percentage and lean body mass measured monthly with either a Bod Pod or Dexa scan. There are so many ways to measure success. I'm training just to walk 5ks and finished my first one ever last weekend. My next one is in another week and my HR has dropped 30 points while I've shaved 3 minutes off per mile. Now, I'm only able to do 19 minutes a mile right today, but that's 3 minutes better per mile than three weeks ago.

You will get there! I'm sure things have already improved that you haven't even noticed yet!
  • WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Just hang in there. Numbers don't matter, as long you're seeing results from your body, you'll know you're doing great.
  • kaylinn9
    kaylinn9 Posts: 112
    Options
    Four weeks for you to notice your own body changing.
    Eight weeks for your friends.
    And twelve weeks for the rest of the world.

Give it four weeks minimum before you judge. :)
  • angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    You will get there!! You just have to keep remembering that regardless of what that stupid machine says, you're making changes that are healthy for you. You're doing something good for your body....You're doing things that are going to benefit you for the rest of your life. If you ask me, as long as you KNOW you're making healthy choices and being kind to your body, thats a NSV every day.

Hang in there! Don't let yourself be discouraged....If it the scale is whats making you discouraged, get rid of it. You don't need a scale to tell you you're losing weight. And you certainly don't need a scale to tell you you're getting healthy. :flowerforyou:
  • DispatcherLangmaid
    Options
    I agree it is hard, try not to weigh yourself. I just remind myself I want to be HEALTHIER and lose weight. I weigh in every 2 weeks and measurement after 6 weeks.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Four weeks for you to notice your own body changing.
    Eight weeks for your friends.
    And twelve weeks for the rest of the world.

Give it four weeks minimum before you judge. :)

I agree with this, when I first started dieting in July I told no one about it incase I failed. Then around November people started making comments. The important thing is this don't weigh in every day, you'll lose your sanity, weigh in once a week and measure every two weeks. Even when you're not losing, especially if exercising, you could still be losing inches.
  • misssmarita
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I do wanna weigh in once a week, that was the plan, but I just couldn't resist a sneak peak. I do have three days left of the week, so I hope to lose a bit more before my official Monday weigh-in. And I've never really been one for measuring. I get that sometimes you can see results there when you don't on the scale because you lose fat while gaining muscle, but I just don't find it motivating at all. What I find motivating is weight off on the scale, but more than that, feeling more fit in day-to-day activities. Unfortunately those results take longer. But I take a lot of comfort in the fact that I'm gonna keep going. Before MFP I would have thrown in the towel :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I couldn't resist a tiny bit of a sneak peak this morning and weighed myself in. I'm down, but only a TINY, TINY bit :( Feels like kind of a drop in the ocean when I think of how far I am from my goal weight. What do you do in moments like these, when you don't feel like all your hard work is paying off? And what are your biggest NSVs? I seriously need a motivation boost right now, I feel SO deflated :(
    Read this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/350212--why-scales-lie?hl=why+scales+lie

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • mikelose
    Options
    Just try to hang in there. Make sure you're getting the correct caloric intake for your body. Take measurements--it really does help. I just did measurements to compare the past two weeks here are the numbers (because you asked for NSV): 1.25 inches lost on each arm. Hips down 1 inch. Waist down 2 inches!. Thighs down 1.5 inches each. Now, I have an extra long journey ahead of me, but that's a big boost. I also get my body fat percentage and lean body mass measured monthly with either a Bod Pod or Dexa scan. There are so many ways to measure success. I'm training just to walk 5ks and finished my first one ever last weekend. My next one is in another week and my HR has dropped 30 points while I've shaved 3 minutes off per mile. Now, I'm only able to do 19 minutes a mile right today, but that's 3 minutes better per mile than three weeks ago.

You will get there! I'm sure things have already improved that you haven't even noticed yet!

:flowerforyou:
  • Snitch1
    Snitch1 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents: Don't fall for the old phrase " Muscle weighs more than fat." A pound is a pound, whether it is muscle or fat.

Also, as others have suggested, sodium is a real problem when you weigh yourself frequently. Just one order of fries can add two-four pounds of water retention for at least 12 hours.

The most accurate weight is first thing in the morning, after you relieve yourself (urine and defecation), and completely naked, before eating or drinking anything
    (This is how patients are instructed to weigh themselves when they have chronic heart disease, and water weight is a huge factor in their health.)
    Also, it is important you weigh yourself either naked, or the same clothes every time, and at the SAME TIME every time. Just eating breakfast, with salt on eggs can cause you to retain any liquid you have drank, and any liquid from fruits you may have consumed.

Also..the scale can really become your enemy. I had a period of no weight loss, but then i decided to take my measurement's and had lost over 20 inches. it was a wonderful feeling! I knew my clothing had begun to feel looser, but wanted my scale to move. Well, it did not. So I had to learn to rely on NSV's (Non Scale Victories)-like fitting into a size smaller outfit, but the scale has not moved.

So, don't expect miracles..it takes weight time to be put on, and it will take maybe 2X as long to get it off.
    Also, don't get all caught up in weighing yourself. It is a hard habit to break, but you can do it.
    Take your measurements every month. Don't just take bust, waist, hips..take them all.
    I take:
    Neck
    Upper arms
    forearms
    wrists
    bust (largest part of cup)
    under bust (the band size)
    waist
    hips=10-12" below waist
    butt
    upper thigh's-(the largest part)
    calves

I hope this will help you.
    If I can be of any more help, send me a FR.
    Enjoy yourself!
    Snitch