I want to hear success stories from non-gym goers!

Options
Unfortunately bills got tight, and I had to freeze my gym membership for a few months. No biggie, I have an HRM and am looking forward to running outside/stairs and doing at-home weights...

I just want to see how successful people have been without a gym, and what they did to keep losing.

Replies

• zlrichardson
    Options
    All of my weight loss has been done outside of the gym. Simply watching my food intake and keeping a moderate amount of walking in has been the secret. Back in July I made sure that I had at least 10,000 steps a day on my fitbit every single day for the full month.
  • karensdream
    karensdream Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I have had bariatric surgery, and of course there was the usual post-op period when I wasn't allowed to do any exercise until I healed completely, followed by some other health issues (flu, upper resp. infection and asthma flare up)....so up to this point I have not been exercising except for the activity I do related to my job (nurse on a very busy unit). I do park out far from the building and take two flights of stairs twice a day. That being said I have still managed to maintain a steady weight loss and have lost 41lbs so far. I do have plans to start with a gym in the next week however.
  • megziejo
    megziejo Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    All my weight loss has been without a gym. Lots of walking and 30 day shred videos off YouTube.
  • FoodPwnr
    FoodPwnr Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Swimmmingggg
  • Cherie7575
    Options
    All of my weight loss has been done outside of the gym. Simply watching my food intake and keeping a moderate amount of walking in has been the secret. Back in July I made sure that I had at least 10,000 steps a day on my fitbit every single day for the full month.

Randomly, I love that you live in Aloha, not Hawaii ;)
  • Sportsgott
    Options
    I didn't step foot in a gym until after my first full year of my life style change. I did everything slowly adding a lil more every month so not to overwhelm myself and quit like them many times prior. Baby steps worked for me. The three month I focused on only drinking water and sub fruit for all snacks. Oh and no alcohol !! Then for the next 3 month I carried all that forward but now maintained my macros daily... Once I had a good handle on my diet, then I added in cardio. Started the C25K... Then 4 miles, 3-4 x a week. And now just past my year mark, I've started lifting 3x wk, cardio 5x wk. Creating new habits as I go, ease myself and my family into each change. It's a slower process then most prob want but it's exactly what I needed. It's not a race, right :)
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Food intake and workout dvds. Cheaper than a gym and you only pay once!!

Also YouTube has some pretty good workouts. some short and sweet (which I love!) and other not so! Have a look and see what works for you?

Walking is another one, I don't do it as often as I'd like as I get a bit lazy indoors/feel lonely walking on my own and when its raining I prefer to stay in my pjs...but still walking is fab.

No idea if that helps!

:flowerforyou:
  • BigJza
    BigJza Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    whats a gym?
  • BigJza
    BigJza Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    just work harder on the simple things...people at my work think im crazy for working harder then i have too..but it has paid off enourmously...gyms are not be all end alls...we all have the natural ability to exercise....ppl werent fat a 100 years ago...and there was no Ballys
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    before my prego stage and this site, I lost 24lbs and 40 inches. went from a size 32 to a 14 using beachbody Debbie seibbers slim in 6. I had no knowledge of eating right (didn't know what a calorie was, carbs, etc) I just stayed away from fast food, junk food, candy, soda, anything that had high fructose corn syrups or sucrose.

ETA: i only did the first disc start it up. never even see the other 5 lol. went from 30 min a day to 3 30 min work outs a day. took 6 months, but again, that was due to my lack of knowledge.
  • Izzwoz
    Izzwoz Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    See the tracker? All lost without setting foot into the gym. I am a lazy couch potato (for better or for worse), so this has all been down to what and more importantly, how much I eat. I started in August last year and have been between 1200 and 1600 cals (I am sedentary, working from home). The only exercise I have added is my daily dog walks (about half an hour at lunch, longer at the weekends) and the odd bit of Zumba on the Wii (and I do mean odd bit, like every other week or so).

Now that I am almost at goal weight I find myself considering exercise to tone up, and because I am lighter, my knees don't seem to object too much to the idea :-)

Disclaimer: I am not saying this is the ideal way, but it is my way and it works for me.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I work out at home, and I am well on the way

Let me know if you need ifo etc
  • Rockstar_JILL
    Rockstar_JILL Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight outside the gym. I do have a treadmill and a stationary bike at home so that helped me. I would walk, run, or bike depending on how I felt. In the summers I would swim as well. I also do lots of floor exercises and use my hand weights. It can be done on your own without the gym. I am down 82 lbs.
  • brittanykira
    brittanykira Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I haven't went to a gym since starting my weightloss journey. I started out just walking, then upped to jogging. Once the weather got too bad, I started doing some workout DVD's. 30 Day Shred and Extreme Shred and Shed by Jillian Michaels and right now I am doing the Biggest Loser Cardio Max DVD. I changed my eating habits by cutting back on portions and eating healthier!
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Most important "kit" is a mat and a timer(download from apps stores for free)

Adjustable dumbbells are great as well
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I don't do gyms, too expensive and haven't got the time.

I walk practically everywhere I can, average 4 miles a day. I did Jillian Michaels 30DS and now am onto Insanity and I am seeing big results!
  • Annieapple12
    Annieapple12 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I do belly dancing because I love it. I am also doing the 30 day shred at the moment and I do swimming and water aerobics once a week. I am also making a general effort to walk / cycle more rather than getting the tube or bus everywhere. If I have time on the way home I will get off the tube 2 stop early which gives me a 20 minute walk home. I am definitely much fitter than I was a month ago!
  • rahlpn
    rahlpn Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym. I have a set of hand weights I bought at Super K 10+ yrs ago (2-4-6lbs), a set of The Firm DVDs that are also 10+ yrs old (Cardio scupt and Ab sculpt), Jillian Michaels 30 day shred, and a Wii with Just Dance 4. I also ride bikes/hike on weekends with my husband and kids. I just do something different every day, I've even You Tubed Zumba workouts. I've lost 17 lbs in my first month. I'd call that a success!
  • marie_8888
    marie_8888 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    While I was in college I only worked out at home and always had great results. I went running or swimming a couple of times a week, but otherwise I did some workout videos available on youtube, there are tons of them. You can also get cheap copies of Insanity, P90X, etc on eBay. I found dumbbells at the salvation army for $2 and before that I used water bottles.
  • Agirard25
    Agirard25 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i do workout dvds, 30 shred off of youtube, run outside, jump rope, and do pushups and stuff....I had been down 30lbs in the spring, but unfornately stopped working out and am re-at it again!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!