Princeton research results: sweeteners are not equal when it

Options
http://www.princeton.edu/main/news/archive/S26/91/22K07/

Highlights below

"In addition to causing significant weight gain in lab animals, long-term consumption of high-fructose corn syrup also led to abnormal increases in body fat, especially in the abdomen, and a rise in circulating blood fats called triglycerides. The researchers say the work sheds light on the factors contributing to obesity trends in the United States."

"The rats in the Princeton study became obese by drinking high-fructose corn syrup, but not by drinking sucrose. The critical differences in appetite, metabolism and gene expression that underlie this phenomenon are yet to be discovered, but may relate to the fact that excess fructose is being metabolized to produce fat, while glucose is largely being processed for energy or stored as a carbohydrate, called glycogen, in the liver and muscles. "

"...demonstrated that rats with access to high-fructose corn syrup -- a sweetener found in many popular sodas -- gain significantly more weight than those with access to water sweetened with table sugar, even when they consume the same number of calories."

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    This is why once I've kicked my Dr Pepper habit and choose to have one again, I'll be getting the Dublin Dr Pepper (made with real cane sugar, so yummy!) I definitely see a difference in my weight loss whenever I've cut out soda completely.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    :noway: And to think I was drinking 4-5 cans (equivalent) of soda a day... :embarassed:
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    Yeah HFCS is less expensive and sweeter than sucrose, so in theory the companies should be using less of it... instead they use more!!! makes no sense, right?