Loosing belly fat

Options
This question is directed to men or women over 40. What is the best method to reduce the spare tire? I've been on MFP now for 31 days. I've lost 9 lbs by keeping my daily calorie intake to around 1550 while burning 600 to 1000 calories per day exercising. Aside from my pants feeling looser in the butt, I really don't see much of a change in the mid section. I am getting stronger from the circuit training and have more endurance. Some people say you have to loose fat proportionately, so I'll see it first in the areas with lower fat deposits.
Any input would be appreciated.

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    This question is directed to men or women over 40. What is the best method to reduce the spare tire? I've been on MFP now for 31 days. I've lost 9 lbs by keeping my daily calorie intake to around 1550 while burning 600 to 1000 calories per day exercising. Aside from my pants feeling looser in the butt, I really don't see much of a change in the mid section. I am getting stronger from the circuit training and have more endurance. Some people say you have to loose fat proportionately, so I'll see it first in the areas with lower fat deposits.
    You don't necessarily lose it "proportionately" - you lose it in the pattern which is predetermined by your genetics. Which, unfortunately for most of us, means that the belly is the last place you lose it.

Keep it up with the calorie deficit and it will eventually go away. You can't spot reduce it and no exercises or specific foods will target it or hasten its departure.

As an aside, I'd say that your calorie intake is most likely far too low. Huge deficits can screw with your metabolism and also cause you to lose a lot of lean body mass (muscle) along with the fat:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily lose it "proportionately" - you lose it in the pattern which is predetermined by your genetics. Which, unfortunately for most of us, means that the belly is the last place you lose it.

Keep it up with the calorie deficit and it will eventually go away. You can't spot reduce it and no exercises or specific foods will target it or hasten its departure.

As an aside, I'd say that your calorie intake is most likely far too low. Huge deficits can screw with your metabolism and also cause you to lose a lot of lean body mass (muscle) along with the fat:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html

^^this.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    Took me 23 years to develop a 60 inch waist. 3 years thus far to reduce it to 43 inches. That's real waist not jeans resting on butt waist.

I suppose I could have reduced faster but then I am a slave to the weekends and overindulgence. I can resist everything, except temptation.

On a different note and all this is still anecdotal but people on here use Intermittent Fasting (IF) and in the UK there is a huge buzz about IF and fat loss at the moment, the anecdotal part is not that it loses weight (wieght loss is proven) but specifically that it targets VIsceral Fat and this is the fat around organs and contributes more than anything to the spare tyre waist line. Expressions such as TOFI and FOFI are used, meaning THIN OUTSIDE FAT INSIDE and FAT OUTSIDE FAT INSIDE to describe the fat gathered on Internal Organs.

OTher than that the other responders to your post are 100% correct, there is no Spot Fat Reduction via traditional diets or exercise. Patience, diet, exercise (do compund movements rather than endless and fairly pointless ab exercises) will win eventually. And remind yourself, how long did it take to get your belly? When compared to a month I am pretty sure it is a long long long time.
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    Thank you for the above comments. Yes it took about ten years to go from 185lbs to 223. The thing is, I was able to get down to 178 lbs back in 2009 while I was living away from wife and kids, but I lost a lot of muscle and really didn't look or feel healthy. We reunited later that year and I slowly gained it all back. I had my testosterone tested which came back low and the doctor said that is typical for 48 year old men. Now we see on tv that low testosterone is the cause for weight gain and lack of motivation and strength. I'm already on prostrate meds and don't want to increase any prostrate issues by going on testosterone cream. Having said all that, what types of food would you folks recommend for me to feed muscles while shedding body fat?
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the above comments. Yes it took about ten years to go from 185lbs to 223. The thing is, I was able to get down to 178 lbs back in 2009 while I was living away from wife and kids, but I lost a lot of muscle and really didn't look or feel healthy. We reunited later that year and I slowly gained it all back. I had my testosterone tested which came back low and the doctor said that is typical for 48 year old men. Now we see on tv that low testosterone is the cause for weight gain and lack of motivation and strength. I'm already on prostrate meds and don't want to increase any prostrate issues by going on testosterone cream. Having said all that, what types of food would you folks recommend for me to feed muscles while shedding body fat?

Protein, protein, protein. Personally, I am a big fan of chicken thighs. Not really all that much fattier than chicken breasts, and a heck of alot tastier IMO. And I mostly have traded out my morning coffee creamer for Greek Yogurt and/or Protein powder.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    i do 250 sit ups a day, it works for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat 1g of protein per lb of LBM and make sure you are on a good progressive loading strength training routine - full body 3 x a week is probably best, like Stronglifts 5 x 5.
  • notthatthis
    Options
    make your protein intake about 40-45% of your calorie intake - eat protein 6 times a day and make sure the protein you get has the Essential Amino Acids, essential because the body does not make them. Eggs, Pulses, Beans are good sources and off course most meats just go for the leanest of cuts.

Eat your fats, 25-35% of calories, increase soluble fibre and insoluble fibre intake and with that massively increase water/fluids and then whatever calories is left have as carbs - exercise calories do perhaps up the percentage in favour of carbs.
  • GlassSlipperGurl
    GlassSlipperGurl Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    The only thing that works for me is to give up the wheat.
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    I pretty much have given up on the breads. Just can't see myself adding the calories for a food that leaves me hungry an hour later. God I miss bread!
  • JohnnyBravo64
    Options
    make your protein intake about 40-45% of your calorie intake - eat protein 6 times a day and make sure the protein you get has the Essential Amino Acids, essential because the body does not make them. Eggs, Pulses, Beans are good sources and off course most meats just go for the leanest of cuts.

Eat your fats, 25-35% of calories, increase soluble fibre and insoluble fibre intake and with that massively increase water/fluids and then whatever calories is left have as carbs - exercise calories do perhaps up the percentage in favour of carbs.

Great advice. Thanks!