looking for tasty recipes with out nightshades

Options
lots of recipes use peppers , mushrooms, tomatoes etc for flavor but after my surgery I can't seem to handle spicy foods or nightshades so I am looking for yummy veggie filled options that skip the nightshade family please help

Replies

• angelams1019
    angelams1019 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what nightshades are lol
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    plant family that includes tomatoes, peppers and mushrooms.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    um. mushrooms are not nightshades. musrooms are mushrooms. Nightshades are members of the Solanaceae family; most common ones are potatoes, tomatoes and (bell) peppers

I've sort of accidentally cut out potatoes from my diet: I started just eating less and less of them, at first because of their high calorie count and later because I noticed I felt so much better if I didn't eat them. I still eat them every now and then but... meh. However, I refuse to give up tomatoes and paprika, they're too yummy!

but, for the actual question: I substitute a lot with broccoli, cauliflower and (green) beans. Also, carrot, spinach, cabbage, pumpkin, celery... it's all tasty!
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    by mushrooms are musrooms, I mean: musrooms are fungi, they're not even plants.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fungi
  • dustwitch
    dustwitch Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Other nightshades are potatoes and aubergines (egg plant)

I was allergy tested in the immunology department at a local hospital a few years ago when I had a serious allergic reaction to a kiwi fruit and the tests said I was also allergic to nightshades - tomatoes, potatoes, peppers and aubergines, although I don't seem to have any noticeable reactions. I often wonder if I cut out all nightshades whether I might have more success with weight loss. Cutting out tomatoes is especially hard.
  • LissaK1981
    LissaK1981 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This dish I love for breakfast or lunch. Take butternut squash about a half of one and chop into fine hash size cubes (1/2 inch or smaller), pan fry in a little oil aprx. 1/2 tbs (coconut or olive) on low. Also hash cut some zucchini and yellow squash. When the butternut has absorbed all the oil and is starting to get tender add in the zucchini and yellow squash, Add a little water or low sodium chicken broth and simmer till everything is tender. I also like to add fresh herbs, thyme and ground rosemary. Also other veggies like broccoli, cauliflower. I also use onions, mushrooms and peppers but you can skip them, This is really good with sweet potato too. I also like to top with a little dollop of sour cream.