Steak Tips

Options
I've never cooked a steak before. :noway:

But I'd like to try.

I don't have a grille. I do have a George Forman. What about pan frying? Broiling?

Any tips out there on how to cook a good steak? And maybe what seasonings to put on it so that it's mighty tasty but that don't add tons o' calories?

THANKS! :bigsmile:

Replies

• karlowe
    karlowe Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    tenderizer and montreal steak seasoing. then marinate in about half the amount of the soy sauce that you use of wortershire sauce for at least 2 hours. cook on your foreman according to how you prefer your steak . peppercorns are also good if no montreal.
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    George Foreman's are great for steak. Just throw it in, put some salt and pepper, maybe garlic powder or onion powder on it, just watch it and as it gets how you think it looks good, flip it and repeat. :)

I broil my steak. I just use McCormick's steak seasoning and some garlic powder. On 400, leave it in for a good hour - depending on the thickness (if it's like a 6 oz. steak, this is a good amount of time. If it's thinner, cut that time - just watch it and cut into it to see how pink/dark it is), flipping sides halfway through.
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Get your self some good meat, season with garlic powder and pepper, put in a skillet sprayed with pam or a little extra virgin olive oil. Cook on medium until doneness you like. In my old days, I would use butter on the pan, adds great flavor to the steak, but still tastes great with out. Happy Cooking :-)

I like to pair this with potatoes. Mashed sweet potatoes are really good with steak! I haven't tried the mashed cauliflower, but that might work as well.
  • sazziecee
    sazziecee Posts: 143
    Options
    I like my steak to taste like steak... lol (unless I am indulging in a peppercorn sauce, mmm)

So I just brush it with oil add salt and pepper to mine and fry it on a griddle pan on medium heat

I eat rump steak or sirloin and like it medium-rare which takes 3 minutes on each side.

mmm steak! Fillet steak is my fave but so expensive
  • sazziecee
    Options
    double post sorry
  • sazziecee
    Options
    triple post! my laptop went crazy!
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    How do I know if I'm getting a good piece of meat? What do I look for?
  • katie30
    katie30 Posts: 55
    Options
    You want the fat in the meat to be marbleized throughout. You don't want a lot of really big chunks or veins. Nothing that has already started to age (turn brown). Tenderloin has the lowest fat content and is also the most expensive. The most common, middle of the road cut is going to be a NY strip. Personally I recommend making the switch to bison if it is available to you. Less fat, less calories and more iron.

As for cooking, season with garlic powder, pepper, and a little kosher salt. If you like spicey, buy yourself a jerk seasoning and rub in. Coat a pan with diffuses olive oil, and cook each side for about 2 minutes. This will give you rare. Presuming you don't like it that rare, pop it into a 325 degree over for about 10 minutes per degree of doneness.