High Volume Low Calorie Meal Ideas?

Options
kimmy_1432
kimmy_1432 Posts: 40 Member
Does anyone have any ideas for high volume low calorie meals? I'm looking for things that are going to be super filling and that can really fill up a plate. I'm so new to trying to eat healthy and I'm so unimaginative that I really can't come up with any ideas, other than salad. I like crock pot meals and casserole dishes as well. My portion control is pretty much non existent so trying to find some recipes I won't feel so guilty about getting seconds. Thanks guys!

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Check out the "show us your meals" threads they have lots of idea.
  • BigJza
    BigJza Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/stuffed-pepper-soup.html

one of my favs...also had tons of leftovers to boot
  • Hoss_77
    Options
    If you like crockpot meals then you can make some really tasty soups that are really low in calories. I just sling in a load of veg, then spices, pepper, garlic etc (try to avoid too much salt going in), then you can end up with a huge bowl of soup with under 300 cals in it, and it's immensely filling so you'd be doing well to go back for a second bowl!!
  • BigJza
    Options
    If you like crockpot meals then you can make some really tasty soups that are really low in calories. I just sling in a load of veg, then spices, pepper, garlic etc (try to avoid too much salt going in), then you can end up with a huge bowl of soup with under 300 cals in it, and it's immensely filling so you'd be doing well to go back for a second bowl!!

crockpot cabbage rolls or lazy man cabbage rolls are awesome and low cal as well..just use extra lean meat
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have any ideas for high volume low calorie meals? I'm looking for things that are going to be super filling and that can really fill up a plate. I'm so new to trying to eat healthy and I'm so unimaginative that I really can't come up with any ideas, other than salad. I like crock pot meals and casserole dishes as well. My portion control is pretty much non existent so trying to find some recipes I won't feel so guilty about getting seconds. Thanks guys!

Portion control is an essential part of healthy lifestyle. If you do not modify your way of thinking you will continue the" yoyo life" and I know what I am taking about because that is the way I lived pretty much since I was your age. Don't wait to get to my age to change things, do it now. MFP is great support and will help you through this journey.
  • BigJza
    Options

Portion control is an essential part of healthy lifestyle. If you do not modify your way of thinking you will continue the" yoyo life" and I know what I am taking about because that is the way I lived pretty much since I was your age. Don't wait to get to my age to change things, do it now. MFP is great support and will help you through this journey.

well said...portion control is the #1 obstacle by far. Willpower and knowledge will get us there!
  • DaveHuby
    DaveHuby Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I often use whole Portobello mushrooms as the base (holder) for food.

They come in at about 18 calories each and really fill the plate.

Oven bake with one or two sprays of 1 cal oil then fill with chilli, Bolognese etc.
  • BigJza
    Options

Oven bake with one or two sprays of 1 cal oil then fill with chilli, Bolognese etc.

really like the sound of that
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options

really like the sound of that

Me too.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    veggie stir frys!

any of these are fairly filling but not calorie dense

beansprouts, sweet peppers, sping onions, sugarsnap peas, baby sweetcorns, mushrooms, mange tout, thinly sliced carrot, broccolli, pak choi, chinese lettuce, asparagus, savoy cabbage... plus any other sub 40cal per 100g veg you like :)

Thinly slice your fave veg, wash and stir fry in a non stick wok(pref) or big pan with a bit of fry light spray or oil mister,

Fry with crushed garlic and soy sauce (plus fresh ginger if you have it) also can add stuff like low cal blackbean or chowmein stir fry sauce.

Takes 15mins from prep to plate and you can have mountains of the stuff.

I also sometimes stirfry in a whole egg (or egg whites if you're extra good) to give it a foo yung texture and if you need some meat serve with grilled chicken, king prawns, cod in fact any lean meat.

I used to do these stir frys with noodles but they're so filling you don't need them, but if you really want them just cook up 20g dry weight and chuck em in and stir fry through.

OOOh and butternut squash wedges!

peel and wedge a butternut squash, spray with fry light or an oil spray then season with black pepper, loads of paprika a hint of cayenne and a touch of sea salt (unless you're trying to avoid it) then shove in a preheated oven (average heat ie 200C) for 20-40mins depending on how thick the cut (don't worry if the edges look a bit black, they kind of caramelise but still taste good)

I prefer these wedges to potato wedges and have half the calories of potato and count as a portion of veg!!!!

potato cals per 100g = 78
    BNS cals per 100g = 38

Also I know you mentioned salad but I use salad as a mountainous base and then cook half a portio of my usual pasta meal eg spag bol and then pile on top, makes me still feel like I have a massive plateful, but really I'm just having a half portion of pasta and 30cals of salad.

I'm a big portion girl so know how you feel, hope that helps x
  • mattcoop
    mattcoop Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Chunky soups make the fest filling meals because they are so saturated with texture and liquid.... even in hot weather time, try to use them. dry foods like sandwiches always make you eat more than you should because they do not have as much weight per calorie
  • GypsySoul_74
    GypsySoul_74 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    when i'm hungry for a bigger meal, i either add raw or cooked vegetables right into the food as i prepare it (to sandwiches, soups, pastas & casseroles and things like that) or serve foods (like chicken, burgers, fish, omelets--things that come in one piece) over a bed of lettuce, arugula or spinach. sometimes i add fruit too (to salads, cereals, pancakes, etc.) if i feel like the flavors will work--i even like to bake apples & pears plain, with nothing added--the sugars caramelize in the oven and they make a lovely sweet dessert :)

you said you like to cook in a crock pot--so do i! there are TONS of things you can do!! see if you find anything in these articles that appeals to you:

http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes_menus/collections/healthy_slow_cooker_recipes

http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/recipes/quick-recipes/dinner/seven-easy-slow-cooker-recipes/

http://www.bhg.com/recipes/healthy-eating/healthy-recipes/healthy-slow-cooker-recipes/

as others have mentioned, portion control is important, but you need a bridge to help you get there. when you're used to eating larger quantities of food it is really hard to suddenly switch to much smaller quantities. making the choice to prepare lower-calorie entrees with better nutrition is a great step :) this is really going to pay off for you!!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Also Hairy Bikers diet recipe Jambalaya

serves 6 341 cals per person so 2046cals for the lot so if your only cooking for 2 just do a third or half the recipe.

* 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
    * 100g chorizo (we like picante)
    * 1 tbsp olive oil
    * 1 large onion, roughly chopped
    * 4 slender celery sticks, cut into
    * 1cm slices
    * 2 small green peppers, deseeded
    * and cut into 2cm chunks
    * 5 large ripe vine tomatoes
    * (about 475g)
    * 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
    * 1 tbsp paprika
    * ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
    * 1 tsp dried thyme
    * 1 tsp dried oregano
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 200g long-grain rice (we often use
    * the easy-cook version)
    * 450ml chicken stock, made with
    * 1 chicken stock cube
    * 100g cooked peeled king
    * prawns, thawed if frozen
    * 6 spring onions, sliced (including
    * lots of green)
    * flaked sea salt
    * freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

1. Cut the chicken thighs into bite-sized pieces, removing any excess fat, and season them with salt and pepper. Skin the sausage and cut it into 5mm slices. Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan or non-stick sauté pan and fry the chicken for 3 minutes over a medium heat until lightly coloured. Add the chorizo and cook for 30 seconds more, then transfer the chicken and chorizo with tongs to a large plate or tray.
    2. Tip most of the oil out of the frying pan and chuck it away. Return the empty pan to the heat and turn the heat down to low. Stir in the onion, celery and green peppers and cook for 8?10 minutes until well softened, stirring occasionally.
    3. Meanwhile, skin the tomatoes. Cut them in half and remove the green stem ends, then roughly chop the rest of the flesh - no need to deseed.
    4. Stir the crushed garlic, paprika, cayenne, thyme, oregano and bay leaves into the frying pan and cook for 20?30 seconds, stirring. Increase the heat and add the chopped tomatoes and any juice that has collected on the board. Cook for 5 minutes or until the tomatoes are well softened, stirring regularly.
    5. Return the chicken and chorizo to the pan, add the rice and cook for about a minute, stirring. Pour over the stock, season with a pinch of salt and lots of black pepper. Bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until the rice is just tender and most of the liquid has evaporated or been absorbed by the rice, stirring occasionally. The rice should still be pretty saucy at this point, so if your rice takes longer to cook, you may need to add a little more stock.
    6. Stir in the prawns and spring onions and cook for about 2 minutes more or until the prawns are hot, stirring regularly, then serve.
  • ang3h
    ang3h Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal. I make a massive bowl of it every night for dinner and it generally falls under 400 calories. Fills me up sooo much and takes like an hour to eat!

I use rolled oats because they seem to soak up water better than steel cut oats. The oats themselves are where the bulk of the calories come from, but you can stretch that 1/2 cup into 3 cups if you add enough liquid. I add a low calorie thickener (PB2, chia seeds, egg whites) so the oatmeal stays.. well, oatmeal-y instead of being watery. I toss in frozen or fresh berries and/or half a banana, cocoa powder, chopped almonds, cacao nibs, carob chips, anything I am in the mood for at the time..
  • Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Make massive stir fries full of colourful vegetables and protein. Fry it in coconut oil..add ginger garlic, chili...lots of chili- lots of water. You'll be full!
    Same with casseroles, curries soups and stews.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    If you replace pasta, rice or potatoes with vegetables you can eat a lot more for the same or lower amount of calories.

I like using broccoli or cauliflower.

And you can do this for most dishes. Grilled chicken and mashed cauliflower, steak with broccoli, pastasauce over zucchini...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Vegetables!

One large courgette (120g or more) is probably about 40 calories. Slice it thinly with a potato peeler or cheese parer, and griddle on a ridged pan, then toss in lemon juice.

Chop leeks, peppers (any colour) and mushrooms. You can stir fry in a little oil, or for even fewer calories, blast them in the microwave with a spalsh of water.

Cauliflower and brocoli - boil or roast.
  • LuLuSUPER
    Options
    Bump for later. Im looking for alternatives due to my nut allergy I have to cut other corners :)
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    You can't go wrong with Weight Watchers Taco soup. It is super easy to prepare and around 200 calories for a pretty good size bowl.
  • babynew
    babynew Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make a bag of pintos in the crockpot. .. then use portions of it to make salads, spups, chili with lentils and quinoa. .. and even freeze a portion of it plain to use later.
    :flowerforyou: