Need to find new lower calorie Non-Dairy butter

Options
For cooking, I use Earth Balance. But. It is very high in calories (100 per tbsp). I have been using & love the Best Life Buttery Spread. But, it has been discontinued & I'm on my last tub of it. :( It tasted great & was only 50 calories. So what's out there that's lower calorie, dairy-free & tastes good.

Replies

• Jellytotss
    Options
    I use 'Pure' spread which is 60 calories per tablespoon.... I use the sunflower one, but they also have an olive oil one and a soya one, not sure what the calories are like in those alternatives though!

I use it for everything, on toast, cooking and baking all the time-it tastes good!
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I use 'Pure' spread which is 60 calories per tablespoon.... I use the sunflower one, but they also have an olive oil one and a soya one, not sure what the calories are like in those alternatives though!
    I haven't seen that one. Where do you find it?
  • Jellytotss
    Options
    I haven't seen that one. Where do you find it?
    [/quote]

Where are you from? Im from the UK so if you live elsewhere that could be why.... They have it here in tesco, asda, sainsburys that i know of, the smaller shops dont tend to stock it
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    I'm in the USA. I've not seen that or those stores here. Anyone else?
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I use Smart Balance with Flax. I am not sure of it's calorie content off hand.
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I eat real butter and work around it in my calories - I find my body responds better when my food has calories :) It kinda freaks me out to think what's been done to it to make lower calories! *laugh*
  • aakokopelli7
    aakokopelli7 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    It's over in the Organic/Health Food sections of food stores....not Walmarts, usually where they keep all the morning star, soy milks and Kifir drinks and things like that. I have a Kroger store and a Whole foods place that has it.
  • TamsinEllis
    Options
    Vitalite :D
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I eat real butter and work around it in my calories - I find my body responds better when my food has calories :) It kinda freaks me out to think what's been done to it to make lower calories! *laugh*

She said she NEEDED a dairy free butter. She sounds like she's lactose intolerant or vegan. I'm lactose intolerant. I would LOVE to have real butter, I just can't.
  • becomingtherealme
    Options
    Brummel and Brown makes a yogurt butter that is only 45 calories a tablespoon and is very good. I heard about it on a low cal recipe site and I really like it.
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    I'll look around for some of these. I can't use the Brummel because yogurt is dairy. I'm allergic to dairy, MorgueBabe was right. Real butter and margerines with whey are not an option for me.
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I use coconut oil in place of butter. I eat it on toast, use it to make grilled sandwiches, and to cook with :) just a thought
  • nursestewart
    nursestewart Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I know it is prob not what your wanting....BUT! Coconut butter is good. I does taste like coconut ... so it may not taste great on everything. It can be expensive but you can make it homemade and it is cheaper. It is great in oatmeal or on toast. Might not taste good on a baked potato. Hope this helps some. good luck on your quest. :)
  • quarisphere
    Options
    You could try Smart Balance Light... it's vegan. Their regular has 80 calories per tbs, so I think it's more like 40. Hope that helps!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    For cooking, I use Earth Balance. But. It is very high in calories (100 per tbsp). I have been using & love the Best Life Buttery Spread. But, it has been discontinued & I'm on my last tub of it. :( It tasted great & was only 50 calories. So what's out there that's lower calorie, dairy-free & tastes good.
    Any fat spread like butter or margarine has either air or water to make up the volume to reduce the calorie count, basically your paing a lot of money for air. Just use half the amount of any regular spread if 50 calories makes or breaks you.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Have you tried coconut oil?
  • PaveGurl
    PaveGurl Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I'll look around for some of these. I can't use the Brummel because yogurt is dairy. I'm allergic to dairy, MorgueBabe was right. Real butter and margerines with whey are not an option for me.

Right on :)

It's not uncommon for folks around here to "need" something... that they don't, so much, actually "need." the way it was worded, it sounded more along the lines of prefering low-cal to actual butter to me.

Since you're lactose intolerant, I vote for coconut oil, too. I go through tubs of it in no time flat in lieu of butter (I can't always get the butter I prefer to use, so coconut oil is my back up), and the medium-chain triglycerides are super-good for your arterial health/ bloos pressure/ et cetera.

Let us know what you decide!
  • Doberdawn
    Options
    For now, I've decided on Smart Balance Heart Right Light. It has a decent flavor. 1 tbsp. contains 50 calories, 5 g fat, 1 saturated, 1 polyunsaturated, 2.5 monounsaturated, 0 trans, 0 cholesterol, 80mg sodium, 0 carb, 0 sugar, 0 protein. As a plus, it also has 32mg of omega-3 and it has vitamins D, B6, & B12. No hydrogenated oils. It's made with 400mg of plant sterols and is narrowly 0 trans fat.