From actual exercise to results on scale... How long?

Options
Ok, this is gonna sound like kind of a dumb question, but... How long does it take for exercise to see results on the scale? If you've been generally good all week, and then do a lot of exercise on Sunday, should you be able to see that on Monday morning for a weigh-in? I was thinking of taking a step class at my gym on Sundays, as Saturday is my cheat day and I don't want it to turn into a cheat weekend :P

Replies

• ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Ok, this is gonna sound like kind of a dumb question, but... How long does it take for exercise to see results on the scale? If you've been generally good all week, and then do a lot of exercise on Sunday, should you be able to see that on Monday morning for a weigh-in? I was thinking of taking a step class at my gym on Sundays, as Saturday is my cheat day and I don't want it to turn into a cheat weekend :P

It's the calorie defict that gives the results, and all your step class is going to do is increase the defict slightly,

As long as your defict over the week is sufficient you will see results.

It's like someone saying they ran 2 miles and expecting to see results - 2 miles is only around 200 calories, it takes 3500 to burn a lb of fat.
  • Gunsentry
    Gunsentry Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    You calories in and out makes the scales move if you are trying to loose weight.

You can exercise and burn off say 500 calories but if you eat it back because you want a reward the scales are going to stay the same.

1lb fat = 3500 calories so you need to be deficit 3500 calories through the week to see a 1lb loss - you can be over on day and under the next to make the deficit as its the whole week that counts. That's why its normal to be deficient of 500 calories per day to meet the target.
  • misssmarita
    Options
    I know that 1 lb = 3500 calories and that you need a calorie deficit to lose... I was just frustated that my weight loss and deficit don't seem to match up :/ I know that there are plenty of other factors that could influence how much I lose, stress, water retention, etc., but it just sucks to not feel like you're getting back what you're putting in :(
  • hungryshay
    hungryshay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    You calories in and out makes the scales move if you are trying to loose weight.

You can exercise and burn off say 500 calories but if you eat it back because you want a reward the scales are going to stay the same.

1lb fat = 3500 calories so you need to be deficit 3500 calories through the week to see a 1lb loss - you can be over on day and under the next to make the deficit as its the whole week that counts. That's why its normal to be deficient of 500 calories per day to meet the target.

This hasn't worked for me. The last two weeks I've been 3,900 and 3,800 calories under. I've been busting butt at the gym doing cardio 5 times a week and strength training 3 times a week. The scale hasn't moved. Any ideas?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    I know that 1 lb = 3500 calories and that you need a calorie deficit to lose... I was just frustated that my weight loss and deficit don't seem to match up :/ I know that there are plenty of other factors that could influence how much I lose, stress, water retention, etc., but it just sucks to not feel like you're getting back what you're putting in :(

Do you know what your TDEE is, and what your deficit is?

and how much are you losing?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Your weight on the scale can actually go up after a workout. Working out increases cortisol levels, which leads to increased water storage. In addition, when your muscles are sore, they are repairing themselves, which also causes water retention. Don't worry so much about how fast it's going to be. And yes, I'm a complete hypocrite here because I had a freak out yesterday that the scales weren't doing what they were supposed to be doing. But now they're back down. Weight can fluctuate so much, and it's so frustrating. Breathe, realize you're in it for the long haul, and keep records.

I also see that you're eating about 1400 calories a day, and at your weight, that seems a little low. I might give this a look as lots of people have had success with it. I think I started this method back in November, and I'm down about 14 pounds since then.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12