Cheat Day?

Options
so I have read a few posts over the last few weeks and occasionally someone will mention a cheat day. I truly understand the concept. You have one day that you eat what you want and aren't supposed to feel guilty, right? However, is this only once you meet your goal? Or do you have a cheat day during the journey? Do you have limits on those cheat days? Call me confused on this subject. :huh:

Replies

• toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    It seems to me cheat days are pointless.
    If you restrict your calories by say...500 calories every day for 6 days=3000 cal.
    Then you have a cheat day where you eat whatever you want...you can easily eat 3000 extra.

I believe a cheat meal where you allow yourself an extra 500 calories or so makes more sense.
    Alternatively allow yourself a treat of a few hundred calories every few days.

If your diet is so restrictive you feel the need to cheat you might want to alter the diet.
  • CarrieAbbey
    CarrieAbbey Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I call them "me days". It's Saturday for me. I've been having them once a week for 2 years, it gives me one day a week not to worry about supper. I always have a healthy breakfast and lunch so I guess it's a "me meal". It keeps me sane and on track. I'm usually under everyday by 100-200 calories so thoughout the whole week I'm still under and I meet my goals. You need to have a good balance in your life. Good luck on your journey.
  • mowu
    mowu Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I can only speak for myself and how I do things. I have set up my caloric intake so that I on average eat about 250 calories below my TDEE a day.

But my calories are distributed so that I eat well below my TDEE on the 5 work-days and in weekends I eat pretty much whatever I want in what quantities I want. I don't log anything and I don't feel bad about anything.

Some would say that I am having two "cheat-days" every week - some would call it "calorie cycling". I call it having designed a programme that lets me keep sane and sustain me at a reasonable caloric deficit on average.

In general I don't think you can call it cheating if you plan for it - no matter how seldom/often you do it, and if you don't plan for it then it's not cheating, then it's slipping up, and you just have to get back into the groove afterwards.

(And planning can even be just allowing yourself to do whatever you want on a special weekend when you're going away and saying: after I get back I get into my ordinary schedule)
  • ljmiller11
    ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above. An all out cheat day doesn't make sense to me. Why work so hard all week and then binge. I prefer to allow myself a little treat once a week like a small desert or some extra carbs.I still feel like I've had a treat but don't suffer the guilt. I also book one meal a month with my partner where we go out to a restuarant and I'll pick whatever I want. Not huge amounts of extra food, just something I wouldn't usually have on a normal day like a cream sauce or large glass of wine.

Do what suits you but cheat days are risky if you don't limit the damage!

Good luck :)
  • collingmommy
    collingmommy Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    ive heard of it too, do i do it, no.. i log everything i eat, and im not going to say im perfect, not by no means, but i dont do "cheat" days. yea, i go out for supper with my hub and son. i always make sure that everything fits into my calorie chart. i dont go eating mcdonalds for lunch, and pizza for supper either, although what i eat from them two places would fit into my chart. i look at it like this, we are on a journey to loose weight and to keep it off, so we are training our bodies and our mind to make the transition. not just our stomaches/hips/thighs/ flabby arms!! lol.. although, i have heard that if you hit a plateau, you go go on a binger and just destroy a buffet .. then wait 24 hours before exercising, and you would break the wall.
  • fstephanie4
    fstephanie4 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Every so often I eat what I want regardless of calories. I might still work out but I go a little over i.e. scoff my face.

Now, to some it doesn't work and some people don't believe it. I find that it does work FOR ME. It makes me work harder, it also confuses my body.

Again I do believe I doesn't happen to everyone but it's always worth a shot, especially in a plateo <-- that's when I always do it. If I've stayed the same for a week or so.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to cheat on. I am making healthier choices. I have days where I may go over my calorie limit, but I just chose to do so - maybe as a break and maybe because real life made it too inconvenient. And in the long run I am eating less on those days than I was almost all days before I started being healthy, so it's all good.
  • kelly101386
    kelly101386 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have one day a week that I consider my cheat day, I eat around 2,200 calories in order to kick start my metabolism. I usually eat around 1,500.
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I'm maintaining my weight now as I have reached my goal so for me a cheat day is when we go somewhere that makes it hard to stay under my calorie goal so instead of getting uptight I just enjoy myself that day. I will sometimes gain a pound for doing it but it is so easy to get it right back off when I get right back on track. Life is too short to not enjoy the things we love from time to time. You have to experiment and see what works for you.

I did have cheat days while I was trying to lose also and yet I still reach my goal :}
  • kaylemartin
    kaylemartin Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I have a cheat meal, not day and I NEVER go over the top and eat excessively - would ruin me. I try to work it into my calorie allowance, or at least try not to go over by too much.

For me, this is a life saver, and it gives me motivation
  • SillyFitMe
    SillyFitMe Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For me....I am weary of cheat days because I sabatoge myself every week! This week, I've been at 1200 claories of clean eating with moderate to heavy exercise and today my co-worker brings in lemon cake and they want to go to 5 Guys for lunch and then I'll want wine because its Friday night and before I know it.....I have a 3000 calorie binge. :( I definitely need to rethink my definition of cheat.
  • Wantmy2dollars
    Wantmy2dollars Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    There is nothing to cheat on. I am making healthier choices. I have days where I may go over my calorie limit, but I just chose to do so - maybe as a break and maybe because real life made it too inconvenient. And in the long run I am eating less on those days than I was almost all days before I started being healthy, so it's all good.
    Very good way of looking at it. Last night I was doing the math in my head when it came to my son's birthday cake. while doing that math I realized that even with the cake I'm probably 2000 calories under what I was normally eating for the day.
  • Wantmy2dollars
    Wantmy2dollars Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Here are my thoughts on the cheat day...

Pros:

Sanity as in you know if you get through the week, you get something that can't fit regularly in your lifestyle anymore. You are not setting yourself up to fail by trying to tell yourself you are never going to have your favorite things anymore.

Fluctuating calories can help keep your metabolism in check. Your body is going to naturally adapt to whatever you do to it (like with weight training). It is an actual strategy that is used by some, but still within a plan.

Cons:

If you are not mentally ready for it, you could be sabotaging yourself. Are you going to be able to bounce back from it? Or are you going to have the mindset that you might as well do it again and start over Monday? Consider this.

To sum it up: Don't let it be a free for all. Still plan for it. You will feel less guilty about it, and have a better chance of returning to your good choices the following day, if you are not mindless about it. Know what you are going to do going in to it. If you are certain that you can handle it, maybe start off with a meal rather than day. Whatever you do, make sure that you have a plan set in stone for the next day!
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    It is a thought process and CAN work but if you are not losing weight this is the first thing you need to assess and see if you are eating back your deficit.

I will tend to eat less healthy food on the weekends but I'm still tracking it and fitting it into my calorie goals
  • eyvindur
    eyvindur Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think if you get used to eating the right stuff, you stop wanting to cheat. Lately, I don't find myself wanting wheat and sugar anymore, because I've broken my addiction.

That said, I will allow myself to eat more fat and red meat and stuff, but as ONE MEAL at a time, not a whole day. I usually have either pizza (without wheat) or burgers (again - no wheat) on Saturday night. I do take the calories into account, but I don't sweat it if I go over my daily allowance a bit. I do, however, make sure not to go overboard, so that I'm at least maintaining and not gaining on those days.
  • NaughtyForties
    Options
    Everyone has their own method and you'll end up doing what works best for you. For me a cheat day makes no sense as I do not plan living the rest of my life having one day when I binge or eat excessively or call it whatever you want. I like to know I can have whatever I want as long as I put in the effort beforehand.

So for me, I eat clean 99% of the time, if I feel like something then I have it. For example, if I feel like chocolate, wine, or a meal out so on and so forth, then I earn it first. That means I burn cals before I consume them so my net effect is always within my calorie goal and can have anything I want. No guilt, total freedom to eat what I want and know that I earned it.

Now that approach works well for me but we are all different and I see many who prefer to eat first and then play catch up burning afterwards. Do what works for you, even try not having a cheat day as if you're in this for the long haul that's a huge commitment to make going forward.

Whatever you decide good luck with it all.
  • mrslynch
    mrslynch Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've heard it's good for resetting your metabolism and such, but for me, it's really a mental thing. I don't go overboard by any stretch, but two meals during the weekend that I don't have to worry about logging and I don't have to worry about counting, where I make good choices, but not obsessive choices; I need it for my mental health. For example I have a pot luck to go to this weekend, how on earth would you count and log what you eat at a pot luck? Just eat from the veggie tray? How would that be enjoyable? Instead, I'll make that one of my "splurge" meals. I'll make good choices, but I'm not going to worry about weighing and measuring, or asking what the ingredients are. I won't overeat, but I'll relax a bit. So far, it's working fine for me.
  • mstduff
    Options
    A cheat day for me is one night a week when my husband and I have our date night. We go out to eat and I usually have a couple or three drinks. Even if I watch what I eat the booze usually tips me over the line.
  • mumblefrog
    Options
    I dont usually have a cheat day persay but I do sometimes have a cheat meal....like sometimes when Ive worked out hard and been really good Ill have a little treat or I will have an extra portion of dinner.....I think cheat days are a bad mind set, we are doing this for a lifestyle change not a diet! and in life once and a while you go over your calories for the day but a cheat day implys you are going back to your old habits for a day this could cause a gain as well could cause it to carry over a for a few days. so track everyting even if you go over and be accountable but allow yourself a small treat once and a while it wont hurt you. like if you were really good all week and you ahve a birthday to go to or a dinner out, Id try and get a work out in or try and make a healthy choice while out for dinner but have a glass or two of wine have a peice of cake if you dont do it conisitantly then I think thats just life but dont go to the birthday party or dinner thinking its my cheat day and go crazy and eat whatever you want and how much of it you want.
  • allisonlane61
    allisonlane61 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I am reading a pretty neat book by a female Dr (I can't remember her name, although I think it is Jennfer) who espouses the 5/2 rule: Try to eat clean and healthy 5 days a week, and then weekends, allow yourself those items you really like. In her case, it was bagels. She said she'd be the first person on the weekends at the bagel place, but as she went longer, even those weedled down.

I have a few cheats here and there during the week. I just eat the cheats in smaller quantities, usually at a restaurant. And I'll split it in half and take the rest for the following day's lunch. But I don't do the weekend cheat (since I cheat here and there). And my cheats aren't Doritos (LOL) or any processed junk--it's usually a bread or pasta or both.