Conveniant food?

keyman
keyman Posts: 5
edited September 18 in Motivation and Support
how do you guys all do it? when you're on the run and busy like all of us are, drive-thrus are way too conveniant and available. I find it so when I'm so busy to stop and make healthy food, when I can just buy crappy food so easily. the only thing keeping me from doing it is this website, its the best motivation i've found in a while. i just wish healthy food could be as conveniant.

Replies

• keyman
    how do you guys all do it? when you're on the run and busy like all of us are, drive-thrus are way too conveniant and available. I find it so when I'm so busy to stop and make healthy food, when I can just buy crappy food so easily. the only thing keeping me from doing it is this website, its the best motivation i've found in a while. i just wish healthy food could be as conveniant.
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Subway has some low cal sandwiches... I also think there is a post listing some of the better choices at the fast food chains.
  • uwhuskygirl
    uwhuskygirl Posts: 320
    I go grocery shopping on Sunday night. I cut up all my veggies and wash all of my fruit right when I get home from the grocery store. Some times I'll even go so far as to individually bag (1 serving per zip lock bag) my veggies (a baby carrot and celery mix.) I try and portion everything out on Sunday so all I have to do it grab and go during the week.

If I really don't have time then I'll turn to a can of soup or a lean cusine.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Some fast food can be healthy - or at least less bad for you. I know Taco Bell has a Fresco menu, subway has a lot of good choices, and Jack in the Box has a Chicken Fajita Pita that is AMAZING. Just do a little research...
    Or you could plan ahead and keep snacks in the car/in your purse. Raisins, protein bars, nuts, dried fruit, etc. to hold you over until you can get home to make a decent meal.
  • keyman
    thanks guys! i am just starting out with this healthy eating thing so i'm just hoping my fast-food cravings will go away soon. until then i'm needin this encouragement from you guys on here to stop me from goin there!
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    How many calories are in a jumbo jack?
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Lol I didn't even know what a jumbo jack was until I looked it up. No jack in the box by us. Anyway no cheese = 600 calories. With cheese= 690. Guess I will never ever know what one tastes like either
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    I keep a bag of apples in my passenger seat...it's usually just me in the car. Then..when I'm kinda hungry, or want food, I eat an apple. Seems to work so far:) good luck!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Well, I find for me, the biggest thing is will power and self control, couple that along with doing good solid research on what fast food places offer healthy menu's and what on those menus are REALLY healthy can go a long way toward keeping you from making bad choices. I have to say, I do like subway, but even if you can't go there, find any old pizza joint, most of em have wraps, whole wheat is best, have em throw turkey, american cheese and mustard in a wrap with whatever veggies you like and there you go, instant (mostly, depending on the cheese and type of turkey they use) healthy meal.
  • elliott062907
    elliott062907 Posts: 1,508 Member

http://www.helpguide.org/life/fast_food_nutrition.htm

http://www.webmd.com/food-recipes/features/21-healthier-fast-food-meals

http://www.feelgoodfastfood.org/wordpress/?cat=10

Just to get you started
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    I looked up all my favorite fast food place's nutrition info and made a sheet for my purse listing what I could eat at each place along with the calories. This has really helped me.
  • how do you guys all do it? when you're on the run and busy like all of us are, drive-thrus are way too conveniant and available. I find it so when I'm so busy to stop and make healthy food, when I can just buy crappy food so easily. the only thing keeping me from doing it is this website, its the best motivation i've found in a while. i just wish healthy food could be as conveniant.

DWLZ.com has many fast food restaurant listings, and your right, it's too easy and soooooo bad for us. I use the site mostly to STOP myself from hitting the drive thru, by seeing just how many calories that burger I want to get has. Then I try to find something in the list that fits with my diet. If I can't, I'll stop in a grocery store find a TV dinner like lean cuisine or Marie Calendar(for dinner) to satisfy that "fast food" craving and get the comfort food fix, a complete meal under 500 cals.
  • RMUNTZ2
    RMUNTZ2 Posts: 152 Member
    My Mcdonalds belly is almost gone now.

I go to work early and would go thru the drivethru to get coffee and increasingly the worst McSkillet Burrito.
    I never put on weight this fast in my life.

To stop this, I stock up on healthy foods, so I have them available when I get home and meal bars in my car (they melt in summer) and at work so I will not have to go to fast food for breakfast or lunch.

Rob
This discussion has been closed.