Cheat day?

Options
Saturdays have been my cheat day where I can eat whatever I have been craving for the week that I couldn't eat. Normally, I'd eat things like yeasty dinner rolls or donuts (I know, terrible.), but I'm starting to see better results on the scale now and I don't want to set myself back a couple pounds for the new week to work off anymore. My question is, what do you guys have for cheat day if you have one and what are maybe some better alternatives that may be just as satisfying? During the week I cut out rice, bread, pastas, dairy and pretty much anything processed if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance guys!

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    maybe you should have a cheat meal instead of an entire cheat day. eat like you do the rest of the week for most of the day, but for lunch or dinner indulge in those treats. if you're still working out on that day and eating well for the rest of the day, it probably won't throw off your average weekly calorie consumption too much.
  • cielbee
    Options
    I have one meal a week where I don't *know* the calories. That can be going to a potluck, a party, eating out or eating at someone else's house. If I have some event happening during the week that involves food, I use that for my meal where I don't count calories. I usually put a calorie count guesstimate into the tracker after. I also try to be a little under my calories (50 - 100) the rest of the week to allow more calories for that particular meal/event.
  • JessAilene86
    JessAilene86 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion guys. I usually only do one meal for my cheat day, but I saw how many calories were in one dinner roll and now I don't even want to eat them. Haha I'd rather have none if I can only have one.
  • MelissaM528
    MelissaM528 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't have a "cheat day" but i'm a lot more relaxed with my eating on the Weekends. I usually stay in my calories though but I might eat fast food a bit more. With that said, I don't cut out anything in my diet because I truly believe that we should be allowed to eat ANYTHING and EVERYTHING in moderation. If I completely cut out anything I would probably act like a rebellious teen and then binge eat but if it works for you then go for it.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I dont have cheat days or cheat meals I had all diets at one time or another and gained my way to 370 pounds I have changed my life style now. What that means simply this is the way I live. If I am out to dinner one nite I dont pick thru the menu in fear I eat what looks good like NORMAL thin people they dont feel they are cheating if they overindulge one meal or one day or even one weekend if you are away why should you ruin the weekend constantly worrying about your calories.
    That said I do log whatever I eat as close as I can I do maintain my exercise levels to not have a double downer and I do not say oh I was bad so I will pack it in.
    I have been living this way for over 4 years and I dont ever feel I am on a diet. The first time in over 40 years I am living healthy and exercising so live well and avoid the negative I AM CHEATING because it is a negative thought
  • JessAilene86
    Options
    The first week of my diet change was definitely the hardest because I had a constant headache, which I'm guessing is related to a lot of the processed foods I was eating, but afterwards, I have to say I couldn't feel any better. I just try and plan my meals accordingly to where they aren't bland or boring and half the time I don't even realize that I'm not getting a rice as a side or garlic toast with my meal. Starches are definitely a weak spot for me.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    i work my *kitten* off double all week, come the whole weekend, i whoop it up!
  • tiffastar
    tiffastar Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Agree post above about lifestyle change.
  • JessAilene86
    Options
    I dont have cheat days or cheat meals I had all diets at one time or another and gained my way to 370 pounds I have changed my life style now. What that means simply this is the way I live. If I am out to dinner one nite I dont pick thru the menu in fear I eat what looks good like NORMAL thin people they dont feel they are cheating if they overindulge one meal or one day or even one weekend if you are away why should you ruin the weekend constantly worrying about your calories.
    That said I do log whatever I eat as close as I can I do maintain my exercise levels to not have a double downer and I do not say oh I was bad so I will pack it in.
    I have been living this way for over 4 years and I dont ever feel I am on a diet. The first time in over 40 years I am living healthy and exercising so live well and avoid the negative I AM CHEATING because it is a negative thought

It is definitely a lifestyle change for me, not so much of a diet. I am just trying to get in a good mind set and a better habit of eating well, and I feel that my cheat day prevents me from saying the heck with it and go back to eating like that three square meals a day. I am already finding myself picking the better choices and I'm hoping eventually I won't feel the need for a "cheat day" because I will just want to be healthy in general. I see what you mean about not calling it a cheat day and feeling negatively about it, but you've clearly come a long way with your weight loss. I hope that I can have the same mind set as you eventually on this, but for now I'm going to try and be wary of it until I feel like I have better self control.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    When I was eating 1200-1400 I NEEDED a cheat day, now that I'm eating 1800 I don't need to, and I'm losing faster. Maybe play about with your numbers then you can fit the odd treat into your day :flowerforyou:
  • JessAilene86
    Options
    When I was eating 1200-1400 I NEEDED a cheat day, now that I'm eating 1800 I don't need to, and I'm losing faster. Maybe play about with your numbers then you can fit the odd treat into your day :flowerforyou:

Thank you for the suggestion! I'll definitely consider that.
  • xveer22
    xveer22 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I don't have an actual cheat day. It's just once or twice a week I can't control my binging and than I'm above. It slows down the process, but I've accepted that. Still trying to be under calorie intake everyday...
    Lately I've bought an extra dark cholatebar which you can break in mini tiny pieces so I can eat 5 pieces, while that would normmaly be one piece. That helps a lot as well, your brain works that way.
    And I eat almonds, delicious and have proteins in it as well.
  • trollsb
    trollsb Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    If you add up all the under calories from the week you might be surprised what fits in the budget?
  • Spurrowell
    Options
    I have cheat days, but what I found out is that I was buying the most for my money, and the cheat day lasted two or maybe three. Plus I didn't do any portion control. And I ate all day everything I couldn't during the week--Three strikes, right huh?. So now I have cheat day but I limit how much I eat, Which foods I eat and I only buy enough for 1 serving. So kinda like Kangoojumps be good all week come the weekend whoop it up--moderately.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I have two meals a week, on the weekends, that are whatever I want, but still under 1500 calories. this is not a cheat DAY but a meal to eat what I want. this is according to Jackie Warners book, and so far, it is working for me.
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    i don't do a whole cheat day, but I do do a cheat meal!! I also think its easy to go overboard (so no full box of donuts)....but I think its really important mentally!
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I don't have scheduled cheat days.
    Periodically I will have a cheat meal, for example yesterday was my birthday, I ate a lot Sushi. Maybe a cheat meal is a better idea. I think having them once a week seems excessive to schedule it.
  • Mjhnbgff
    Mjhnbgff Posts: 112
    Options
    I don't do cheat days or meals--can't handle it. Plus, I'm trying to change the way I eat for the rest of my life and I have accepted that I need to eat healthy most days and maybe have a treat now once in a great while to celebrate a special occasion. A weekly or even monthly cheat day will eventually turn to two days andbefore I know it, I'm back to eating whatever I want every day of the week. I have been down that road enough times to know the outcome. Plus, I feel so much better physically and emotionally now that I'm eating healthy. I can eat without guilt now and I feel good knowing that I am taking care of my body.
  • JessAilene86
    Options
    Okay, correction folks, when I said cheat day, I meant cheat meal. And also, no one is suggesting anything or answering my questions..
  • tigger2009
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day but I am more relaxed on weekends too but aware of what I am eating. I don't post what I eat on weekends just during the week. I don't plan a cheat meal but sometimes it ends up being one without me knowing in advance! I am trying to stick to my food lifestyle. Refuse to call it a diet. Myfitnesspal keeps me honest though! Going to see a hockey game this weekend so I am sure there will be some cheat time! now if I could just get off my **** and exercise I would loose weight faster!