Goals by moments; goals by meals.

Options
hey, everyone.
i've been getting acquainted with this site, 'liking it more+more as i go along.

one thing, so many members have such big time goals! (3 month challenge, etc.) - 'can't go there. i've been losing since mid-january. a succession of goals-by-moments, by meals. the worst times are at night. going to sleep hungry can be excrutiating pain. strange, tho, how much better i feel in the morning, when i win that final battle of the day.

after that, plateaus are the hardest. i was at a plateau when i decided to search for a free website to track 'my habits'. MFP is more than i was hoping for. love the nutrient tracking part, and the customizing parts. 'makes it feel 'like home.'

so. lost 15, 85-to-go.
will i do it? - well, at this point, it's kind-of live-or-die.
i've got a lot to live for, so ... 'better keep at it.

thanks to MFP creator, Mike, and the members. i enjoy reading about you (less likey to be eating. lol) :blushing:

Replies

• MTGirl
    MTGirl Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I can't comment on the other threads, but my Summer Challenge thread is really just a small group of us who report daily/weekly or when ever we can. We set weekly goals, or not. Kind of informal. You are welcome to join us with your moment, meal, day goals as you like! We've got quite a nice bunch of women, no men have seen fit to join us :laugh: We're just trying to do the best we can.

We set it up seasonally, just because it seemed like the thing to do at the time. I look forward to each season change and have goals for activities that each season brings. Just how I'm wired I guess! Welcome to MFP - congratulations on your progress!

Edited to ad: Here's the link to the new thread (just started) http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/87630-summer-challenge if you decide to check it out. There is also a link to the previous Spring Challenge in the first (and so far only) post.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Hey! Welcome! I don't do challenges to lose a certain amount in a certain period of time. The goals that I set for myself on a weekly basis are to exercise a certain amount of time, to drink so many glasses of water, etc. You'll notice on my signature that I am working towards a goal for June when I go to see my sister... but if I get anywhere near it - I'll be happy. I don't compare my weightloss to others... because I don't like to put myself in a position to feel down because someone else is losing faster than I am.

But if you want a friend to root you on - feel free to add me as a friend!

Sonja
  • tmpral1
    tmpral1 Posts: 5
    Options
    hi sonja, your pic is adorable, and your msg interesting+inviting. thank you. i agree with you - your husband is a hunk. o.wait. do people still use that term?! - i mean, he's good-looking. you make a beautiful couple.

how many are you home schooling? ages? - my kids are grown now, but when they were growing up, we had several friends that were home schooling. it's a great option.

and your dogs? - descriptions? - i have a dog and 2 kitties (they're gown cats, but kitties-to-me!) - i adopted them last year. i like animals. we had various pets as the kids were growing up. no regrets. about the kids, or the pets.

SLEEP.
    i track my sleep. it's really important, you know. i thot my sleeping was 'way off, decided to track it, since i've been tracking so many other things. nice surprise, i actually get a close to normal amount of sleep, usually! just knowing that is, somehow, comforting. with your busy life - make sure you get enough sleep. if you can. o.no. i feel like i'm talking to my daughter, she's 33. for years, she used to tell me what to do! (you know, since she knew everything.) - now that she has her first (a girl) - she actually listens to me - she even ASKS for my input, on occasion. (lol) with a 2yr old now, she's been long-convinced of the value of sleep.

my husband passed 3 years ago. he was only 60. he had a rare, terminal illness. i floundered without him. finally, about mid-winter last year, i seemed to pass a milestone, i began feeling really interested in the future. it wasn't long after that (and a visit with my doctor) that i decided i needed (and more important, wanted) to get the weight off, and get stronger again. in time, that's what brought me to MFP.

you're in love with your husband. that's what it's all about, kiddo. and, yes. getting healthy is important for your marriage. great incentive. i get sooo hungry at night, but i do not want to eat at bedtime! it's so much easier to ward-off those hunger pains, when you've got those loving arms around you. count your blessings. and enjoy your life.
  • sonjavon
    Options
    Hi there! So nice to "meet" you! I still use the term "hunk" LOL - he is. Moreover - he's just... my best friend. I waited a long time for him to come along - but it was totally worth it!

I have one son. He is my pride and joy and as I tell others... when you reach perfection, you stop trying. In my eyes, my son is perfect. I didn't set out to be a homeschooler... it never crossed my mind to tell you the truth. When I sent him to Kindergarten, I really felt that there was a possibility that he could be dyslexic - there were just thought patterns that were very similar to mine (I'm dyslexic - though I have overcome all of the "big" challenges of it). We began the process to get him tested in the school system - but it took until 2nd grade. What I didn't know is that there would be no "diagnosis" - just a qualification for special services. The services he ended up receiving were doing nothing to help remedy his learning differences. Even though he received special reading instruction - there was no help in Social Studies, Science and Math - all of which require....reading. His 2nd and 3rd grade teachers were not understanding and honestly were downright unkind to him. They told me all the time that he needed to be placed on medicine for ADHD. I knew that was not his problem. I turned into a stark raving mad crazy woman and just spend 2 years angry and ticked off. They were hurting my baby. At the end of 3rd grade my husband and I had him independently tested. Indeed, he was found to be dyslexic with ADD tendencies... he needs to have information presented to him a little at a time. I knew that wouldn't happen at school and I was tired of fighting. So we decided to homeschool. BEST decision ever! We had so much fun!

This year, he decided to try going back to school for part of the day and having me homeschool him in Math and Reading. He's been on the honor roll all year. His driving force for returning to school is that he loves to play football and our youth league ends in 6th grade - so next year he wants to play for the school.

My dogs (in order of adoption).... There's Charley, he's a 4 year old Beagle/Golden Retriever mix. Picture a black and tan beagle with a golden retriever head. Molly is a Weimaraner - she's 3 and has more energy than any dog living in my house should have. She's beautiful and sweet and has severe separation anxiety. Beanie is my old girl - she's 9 years old and at best guess is a pitbull/yellow lab mix. She was my first foster dog and we were told that she was a redbone coonhound... not so much! LOL! Like I said, she was my first foster dog - after having her for a couple of weeks, I couldn't let her go. I knew that she belonged with me.
    I also have 2 foster dogs... Rocky is a small lab mix who is almost 3. He was purposely bred for research but due to his skittish temperament was never able to be used (YAY). Normally dogs bred for research would never be adopted out - but the rescue I work with had some connections. I've been working to rehabilitate Rocky for a almost a year now. He's very scared of people. The day I brought him home was the first day that he ever had his paws on grass. After all this time he will occasionally lay down on the same sofa with me - as long as I don't look at him or move too fast.
    Bella is our other foster - she's about 3 as well. She's a (picture this...) pit bull/boston terrier mix. She's very short, very stocky and has the most delightful personality ever. She is also the laziest little princess ever - preferring to stay in her bed in the morning until I bring her breakfast.
    I'm passionate about dogs and animals in general. (can you tell? lol)

I am trying to get more "regular" sleep. I had mono when I was younger and it seems like the slightest little thing can completely throw me off schedule and then I end up getting so run down that I get sick.

Trust me - your daughter will call you more and more as her daughter gets older... we all need mama advice - even if it's just to "back up" what we already know! I talk to my mom every day and usually more than once. She's actually here on MFP too - though not active on the message boards.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband. That's very sad. I'm so happy that you're looking towards the future though! MFP is a great place to be. It really helps to stay motivated,

I guess I'm spoiled - I don't go to bed hungry... ever. If you're hungry - you should eat - just have good choices handy. One of my favorite late night snacks is Fiber One cereal and milk or yogurt - it's low calorie and high fiber... cures any hunger I have. Are you eating all of your recommended calories?
  • tmpral1
    tmpral1 Posts: 5
    Options
    hi again, sonja,
    thanks for writing about your son and animals, and hubby, too. very interesting how things go. kids do best when parents are resourceful and pro-active, that's certain.

i've just made my last food entry for the day, getting ready to wind things down. got to get 'my livestock' taken care of for the evening. fix a pot of tea. i watched "Doc Martin"/pbs this evening, one of my favs. it makes me smile. i'm hoping the scale will register a loss in the morning, it's due to, soon. i'm keeping the calories down, heavens know. another day, another ... . :yawn:
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Welcome! One day at a time! You will get there!
  • sonjavon
    Options
    hi again, sonja,
    thanks for writing about your son and animals, and hubby, too. very interesting how things go. kids do best when parents are resourceful and pro-active, that's certain.

i've just made my last food entry for the day, getting ready to wind things down. got to get 'my livestock' taken care of for the evening. fix a pot of tea. i watched "Doc Martin"/pbs this evening, one of my favs. it makes me smile. i'm hoping the scale will register a loss in the morning, it's due to, soon. i'm keeping the calories down, heavens know. another day, another ... . :yawn:
    I wasn't worried about you keeping the calories down - just wondering if you're eating enough!