Trader Joes! What to try?

Options
A friend is going for the first time and asked me what she should try? What is your fave from there?

Replies

• Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    up
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Cookie Butter!! My favorite snack on top of a rice cake, yum! They have a lot of great food (& wine) there.
  • robyn0123
    robyn0123 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    OMG!! i love everything there!! I can't live without their roasted red pepper tomato soup and I like their van soy milk with just the clusters vanilla and almond granola.
  • gdortiz
    gdortiz Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    where do I start!!??

Their frozen butter chicken is great …get the frozen Naan. The entire email will be like 600 calories. so good.

Their Asian stir fry dishes a long with their prepared frozen fried rice is awesome … meals can range for both between like 400 (yes) to like 650 calories.

They have a Cuban pork meal that is ridiculous. On the higher side of calories but fits into most plans …for dinner. Comes with rice and plantains.

The hummus wrap is super filling and only like 375 calories.

They also have Annie Chung Teriyaki bowls … for $1.99. They are $3-4 bucks anywhere else. These are vegan and only 400 calories. Perfect for lunch.
  • lazykerry
    lazykerry Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    They have a spicy black bean dip which is not actually very spicy but incredibly flavorful. I spread it on pretty much anything that might ordinarily taste bland or diety on its own.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    Uh. Everything. Love their hummus.

Not a diet food, but they have their own version of Oreos called JoJoes that are amazing.
  • Supermel
    Supermel Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Some great ideas
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm a major Trader Joe's enthusiast. :) There was a thread about it a few months ago, here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/804494-trader-joe-s-ideas

I'll just copy/paste my thoughts with a few updates…

For snacks, I love their kettle corn, wasabi peas, peanut butter & oats bars, lentil and potato curls, sea salt and rice crisps, sea salt pita crisps, and Everything pretzel thins (a new find for me - SO good).

I keep my freezer stocked with:

Tempura chicken
    Thai jasmine rice
    Vegetable fried rice
    Chile lime chicken burgers
    Bean So Green (a medley of peas, romanesco, broccoli, green beans in a garlicy sauce)
    Roasted red potatoes with peppers and onions
    Just...grilled chicken strips
    Italian Penne Arrabbiata
    Reduced guilt mac and cheese
    Pineapple tidbits
    Fruit Frenzy bars

Their frozen, breaded cod is pretty good, and I just had their coconut shrimp the other day and would definitely recommend it. Delicious. Love the whole wheat tortillas as well. Also, they stock frozen cubes of basil and garlic, made by Dorot. I LOVE this. Each cube of the garlic is a clove and it is such an easy way to add flavor or keep garlic on hand without having to keep the actual cloves.

Trader Joe's is always kind of an adventure because you never know when something will be there and when it will disappear for a few weeks or months or forever. Since it's all fairly cheap, I suggest just taking a chance on things that look good. Trader Joe's also has a fantastic return policy. You can bring something back and they will give you a refund, no questions asked. You don't even need the receipt, nor does the package have to be unopened. You can even bring back the empty packaging of a product if you disliked it.
  • Buzzatronic
    Buzzatronic Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Root chips and dried banana slices. Both are fantastic.
  • shellbatronic
    Options
    They have a "bistro salad" that has edamame and kale that's the bomb. I take out their dressing and add my own.
  • MUSTLOSENOW55
    Options
    I love their chicken sausages and gourmet chicken meatballs
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    The Hot Fresh Salsa, their chicken sausages and their brussel sprouts are something I get EVERY time I go.
  • cjackson001
    cjackson001 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I love the dark chocolate covered almonds!!!!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    they had a really good grapefruit scrub exfoliator once. wonder if it's still there. amazingly cheap for what you get and smells awesome
  • rincoglionita
    rincoglionita Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was just thinking about this this morning. Great timing!
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Their garlic aioli mustard. We can't eat our sandwiches without it!
  • skinnyjess6
    skinnyjess6 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Bump. haven't been there yet- been wanting to go!
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I love the dark chocolate covered almonds!!!!

me too. I have a few each night that I stay within my calorie allowance.
  • stina1980
    stina1980 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Bump!

I was going to post the same topic, we are going to San Antonio in a few weeks. They have a Trader Joe's, would like to know what to try.

Thanks!
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    My favorite is the dried pineapple rings. They are just pineapple, no sugar added. They are still a ton of carbs, but they are SO GOOD! I have them for an every once in a while splurge! Thank GOD I don't live near a Trader Joes!