Hail the Chia Seed

Options
If you have not tried chia seeds, then you should. They are very awesome. I have been adding a teaspoon here and there to baked goods and foods that I eat anyway and it's been great. They counteract my "protein problem" beautifully and keep things moving along in the right direction. My favorites have been the banana chia seed muffins and last night I put a teaspoon in my healthy cookie recipe. Yum!

So many benefits from one small change.

I've also read that they can be used as an egg substitute in baked goods by adding water. Has anyone tried this with success?

Any other wonder foods that you use regularly?

Replies

• ShakeyMD
    ShakeyMD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I just started using them today. I added them to my water and just drank them from my water bottle. A little bit of a strange feeling as the little gel "balls" went over my tongue, but it wasn't a problem. They do fill you up, from what I've read. I'm more interested in the omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants that they are supposed to have. I was just diagnosed with fatty liver disease so I'm opening up to a whole new world of organics and such. :)
  • atrebor18
    atrebor18 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I add them to my yogurt for breakfast (reminds me of sprinkles actually) or I put them on my cracker with almond butter. I like them in smoothies too. I never thought about baking with them, thats a good idea.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I just started using them today. I added them to my water and just drank them from my water bottle. A little bit of a strange feeling as the little gel "balls" went over my tongue, but it wasn't a problem. They do fill you up, from what I've read. I'm more interested in the omega 3 fatty acids and antioxidants that they are supposed to have. I was just diagnosed with fatty liver disease so I'm opening up to a whole new world of organics and such. :)

Don't bother for the n 3, as ALA conversion to EPA/DHA isn't very efficient in humans
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    I haven't tried using it as a substitute for eggs in recipes but I've used flax as a replacement and it worked out great. I might pick up some chia seeds next time I go to vitamin shoppe so I'll try baking with them.
  • darlin930
    darlin930 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have put them in my oatmeal for breakfast. I also use them in salads and in yogurt. Great idea using them to bake with! Thank you for the wonderful idea!:happy:
  • nje444
    nje444 Posts: 62
    Options
    Had this for breakfast this morning: http://pinterest.com/pin/247557310739262237/

I made it last night so it was waiting for me when I got home from the gym :)
  • sailinjen
    sailinjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I use them in yogurt and on salads...there is a recipe on the back for chia gel...I guess you make that and then add it to whatever....they do get stuck in my teeth!!!
  • Juliejustsaying
    Juliejustsaying Posts: 2,332 Member
    Options
    I stick with flaxseed meal ever since the health food owner told me they swell up in your stomach...that freaks me out.
  • mydoc3
    mydoc3 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I always add them to my smoothies and oatmeal. I used to add them to my water but haven't done that in a while.
  • lelaspeaks
    lelaspeaks Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I mix them in with my oatmeal during my 10 AM snack every day!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    They aren't really very high in protein. You'd have to eat an awful lot of them to cure a 'protein problem' (if that means too little protein). I thought most people eat them to add fiber. You'd probably be better off with hemp if you want to add protein.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Do they really make a difference in your diet? How can you tell?
  • moustache_flavored_lube
    Options

Don't bother for the n 3, as ALA conversion to EPA/DHA isn't very efficient in humans

What he is saying is that plant based sources of Omega 3s are inferior to fish based sources. taking fish oil is a better strategy.

That being said I eat chia seeds they are a healthy addition to your diet.
  • NJL13500
    NJL13500 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Haha! I do mean that it is more of a fiber benefit. I've been eating a lot of protein since I've been doing heavy lifting and the chia seeds seem to be a great way to make sure things don't get backed up.
  • suzafied
    suzafied Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    If you have not tried chia seeds, then you should. They are very awesome. I have been adding a teaspoon here and there to baked goods and foods that I eat anyway and it's been great. They counteract my "protein problem" beautifully and keep things moving along in the right direction. My favorites have been the banana chia seed muffins and last night I put a teaspoon in my healthy cookie recipe. Yum!

So many benefits from one small change.

I've also read that they can be used as an egg substitute in baked goods by adding water. Has anyone tried this with success?

Any other wonder foods that you use regularly?

Yes I have used it as an egg substitute. My boyfriend is allergic to eggs and so I will take 1/3 cup of water and a Tbs of chia seeds. I mix them together and let it sit for about 10 minutes. It turns into a jelly and then I used that as a 1 egg substitute. I have made cookies and baking and it turns out great!
  • suzafied
    suzafied Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    One of my favourite snacks is.....

Put vanilla yogurt in a bowl, add in hemp hearts and chia seed with some cinnamon. I put it in the freezer as I cut up an apple (I cut it into pea sized pieces) then I take the yogurt blend out of the freezer and mix in the apple..

Its yummy and very filling...

You can also add rolled oats into the mixture, it will make it VERY VERY filling, but you do add the extra carbs and calories.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I grow my own.
    ChiaBritney_zps33071c7b.jpg
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I eat mine in my oatmeal and love them!
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I have them but usually forget to use them! I do put them in my salads when I think about it and occasionally my yogurt. I tried to do the pudding thing once but I didn't like the way it came out at all.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I just started eating them this week. Needed something to help curb my protein back-up problem too. I've been adding to my oatmeal in the morning. I love how they can take a small amount of oatmeal turn into a huge, filling bowl without a lot of added calories and adds a lot of nutrition!

Does anyone know if I can use them in place of oil in baking? Or only eggs?