Is it worth the money to get your metabolism tested?

Options
There is a place in our town that does metabolic testing to determine your caloric intake. I was wondering if anyone has done this and if it really is worth the money. If you have been eating too little and your metabolism is slowed, will it show that? I was not sure what all it entails and if we should try it. I would appreciate any feedback on it. Thanks

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    looking forward to seeing answers to this
  • jalara
    jalara Posts: 2,622 Member
    Options
    bump
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In a word, YES!!

I just had my metabolic rate tested (well, it was a re-test) on Friday. My resting metabolic rate (RMR) was found to be 1919. According to MFP, my RMR is 1350 or so (it was also around 1350 when calculated using fat-free body mass). My progression has stalled for a long time (several months). Well, no wonder, since I've been eating almost 600 fewer calories than I need to on a daily basis (I usually eat back all my exercise calories)! I feel like an idiot, because I KNEW that it had tested higher than 1350 a couple of years ago, but I let an equation tell me what was better. I checked with the trainer, who verified that the direct test is more accurate than a calculation (maybe if Banks reads this, he can correct me if I need correcting). So, now I'm going to eat the higher number. I expect I'll gain for a few weeks (until my body realizes it's getting the fuel it needs and doesn't need to hold on to every last little calorie it can get), but when my body realizes the food isn't going to go away, I'll start dropping again. Finally.

I also had my Exercise Metabolic Rate tested (again, a re-test). This is the third time and I've really seen progression. I am in Stage 3 - the final stage. This means that my Aerobic Base (the point at which the exercise calories burned come from fat and carbs in equal amounts - i.e., 50/50) and my Anaerobic Threshold (the point at which the exercise calories burned come only from carbohydrates) are right next to each other, so my cardio is at its best.

Another great thing that I got from this test is the actual amount of calories burned per minute, based on heart rate (this includes total calories as well as fat calories). I have found that this number oftentimes is different than what my HRM says (which is based on VO2 max as well as height/weight/age/sex) - usually it's lower.

I highly recommend the metabolic rate test (assuming that the one you're talking about is like the one I took this past Friday). For me, it was worth every penny and then some! :happy:
  • jmarie9
    jmarie9 Posts: 108
    Options
    bump for later :)
  • Connie48
    Connie48 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the test, but I do feel like MFP calorie suggestion is too low, I would feel like crap if I ate only 1200 calories a day. I have a desk job (I think this is why MFP suggested such low calories) but I live on a farm, when my day job ends, I go home to my "evening" job. I also ride horses, and am consistant with exercise. I quit coming here for quite awhile because I thought MFP numbers were off, but I decided to log my food anyway to see more than just calories.
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Connie, what did you put to get such low calories? You sound really active to me. If you set MFP on sedentary, it would probably put you at 1200 before exercise.

How much does a metabolic test like that cost? Do they just take a blood sample for RMR or what?
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What does the metabolism test entail? What do you have to do for it?
  • twilight1542
    Options
    I had a body composition test ( biometric..something) done last week. Afterwards I asked about metabolic testing. I was told that unles I was concerned about a possible thyroid problem or diabetes it wouldn't be worth the money ($15).....Since I've lost weight at a steady rate (thyroid working properly) & have no indicators for diabetes it would be a waste of time..... So if you're eating a healthy, well balanced diet, staying w/in calorie goals, exercising, and still not losing weight it might be worth it......Otherwise it might be a waste of $
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    $15 doesn't seem like that big of a deal lol

DrB - you lost 40 lb by your second deadline! That's incredible!
  • DrBorkBork
    Options
    Aw shucks, thanks, Alanna! I really wanted to be at 50 lbs lost, but the longer I stay on this path, the more I realize I'm in it for the long haul, and not immediate gratification. Maybe if I had started out eating more, I'd be there, but the point is to get to the final destination (goal weight) at all costs.
  • stratdl
    Options
    This is how my metabolic test went:

1. The trainer had me put on a heart rate monitor chest strap in order to measure my heart rate.
    2. The trainer then put a mask on me, over my nose and mouth. The nose piece had a metal clip such that it reminded me to not breathe through my nose at all and only through my mouth. I'd say that it "prevented" me from breathing through my nose, but I could have gotten air through my nose if I wanted to do so. It's imperative that the test be performed such that I was breathing through my mouth only.
    3. The trainer hooked up a tube to the mask so that the gases I was exhaling could be analyzed by the computer to which the tube was attached.
    4. For the resting metabolic rate test, I laid down on a mat in the evaluation office and breathed through my mouth for about 10 to 15 minutes with the lights off and in a very relaxed atmosphere (RESTING metabolic rate, you know? :smile: )
    5. For the exercise metabolic rate test, the trainer put me on a treadmill and I walked on the treadmill for about 12 minutes or so, starting off at 2.5 mph with 0% incline and gradually working up to 4.5 mph with ~15% - 20% incline. Again, for the EXMR, I had the mask attached and was breathing through my mouth the whole time.

The cost for this test was $130 (it was a re-test, so the initial testing would have been a bit more).

I had had biometric testing performed the week before (I had my body fat measured by a BOD POD - about as accurate as the water test and more accurate than calipers or impedence). By using an equation based on the BOD POD BF%, my RMR should have been about 1350 or so. By the actual metabolic testing, my RMR is 1919. Huge difference. If I were to go with the equation, I'd be eating too few calories for my metabolism.

Am I a typical person? I don't know. What I do know is that my weight loss progress had stalled for quite some time and I'd done all sorts of things to make it better, but nothing was working. I suspect now that my metabolism runs faster than the equations can calculate, so I was near (or in) starvation mode and my body wasn't going to lose anything more. Plus, I'd amped up my workouts with High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). That helped to boost my metabolism, too.

If you can afford the metabolic testing (like the kind I got) and you are very OCD about being sure that your RMR is "correct" (as I am), then I'd say "go for it". I don't know that a blood test can determine your metabolic rate, so I couldn't say anything about that.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do! :flowerforyou:
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    I had mine tested too - thread about it here ---> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/81552-had-my-metabolism-tested-and?hl=had+my+metabolism+tested#posts-1146543

In the 5 weeks since the test, I've gradually increased my calories to my RMR of 1800. Slowly, so as to not shock my system, and I've managed not to gain any weight at all. Haven't lost any weight either, but my workouts have increased and I've lost an inch on my chest and 1/2 inch on my waist. Those are the first losses I've had of any kind in 7 months. It's nice being able to eat normally too. My big struggle is eating enough (without eating processed food), but I'm getting better at it.

My test cost $70.
  • stratdl
    Options
    Thanks for the post, stormie!

My story is similar to yours, I believe. The difference (I read your other thread) is that my BF% is 29.1%. I don't think you'd think that to look at my (calipers say I'm 25.6%). I suspect that my body is hiding that extra fat because I've been too darned low for too darned long. I can't wait until I'm fueling my body properly and consistently!

...I also agree that it's kind of hard to eat all the calories I'm supposed to. It's quite a switch mentally!

:wink:
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    This may be a really dumb question, but is it possible to be eating too few calories on a consistent basis if you're not hungry? It would seem that you would experience ongoing hunger if you were under-eating by as much as some of you guys posting have said. Does your body just get used to it?

Thanks, Karin
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    Before I started MFP, and while eating very low calorie amounts, I never felt hungry. I could easily go two days without eating, the only crisis would come when my blood sugar went haywire and the roof of my mouth became extremely sore and blistery (no idea what's up with the latter). I'm sure the hunger hormones were messed up due to my utterly unreliable eating habits. After 10 months of eating regularly, I do feel hungry anytime I go more than 3 hours without eating. I don't ignore those pangs either, I eat!

That's why I don't always agree with people who say..listen to your body (ie: if you're not hungry, then don't eat). Sometimes you body (like mine) is all kinds of screwed up and is signaling garbledygook. :tongue: Our bodies can be trained...detrimentally, at times, unfortunately.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    in a word, yes! :) i found out i am well under (1303) the calculated 'guideline' for my age, height, weight, activity level, etc. (1450) because the calculators don't take into account that i am post-menopausal not pre-menopausal like most other women my age. it is such an easy test and so useful! i would recommend spending the money on it.
  • sean23
    sean23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    The test we are looking into is a metacheck that calibrates the air in the room for 2 minutes and calculates how much calories you are burning at rest. Its about $75. I am afraid it will tell us how much my wife is supposed to eat and she will do it and not lose weight, or gain like she has been doing. I guess if the test is accurate enough to tell you exactly what your levels should be, you have to believe in it despite what results you may get. She has been following WW to a T and just has quit losing and can't seem to start again. If we decide to try it, I will let you know how and if it works and what we find out. She is going to the Dr. for her yearly and going to have her check her thyroid again to see if its out of whack. Hopefully if thats not messed up then this test may explain her weight loss issues.
  • sean23
    sean23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Just an update. My wife has followed the same diet plan for the past three weeks that she lost weight on and has gained 5 pounds. Knowing that she didnt' eat enough to warrant all the weight gain, she went ahead and got her metabolism tested on a machine that shows amount of calories burned and figured her resting metabolic rate. To her surprise, she actually has a higher than average metabolism. The reason she is gaining weight is because she isn't eating enough. She tried bumping up her calories for 3 weeks and gained, but she only was adding about 100 per day. The test shows that she should be eating no fewer than 1400 calories and as high as 1700 calories and still lose weight. SHe can eat up to 2000 calories and maintain. Its hard to believe that she was eating 1200 calories a day and gaining 1 to 2.5 pounds per week. I have always read on here to eat more to lose weight. Now, since she has a test specific to her showing her what she needs to eat to lose weight, maybe now she'll be confident eating more. Its a hard thing to do to get someone who can't lose weight to accept eating more. We realize she will probably gain for a few weeks till her body adjusts, hopefully then, she'll get on track for good.
    I just wanted to recommend doing a metabolism test if you are struggling and nothing else is working. She was ready to give up and now she is hopeful again. I wanted to say thanks for all the good advice about eating more and fueling your body. I will update this and say how things are going. Thanks!
  • stratdl
    Options
    Hooray for you and your wife!

I can totally understand how she must be feeling right now - trying to change the whole mindset of eating more calories, since I'm going through that myself!

It takes time to get oneself to see that it's okay to eat more than 1200 calories! And eating exercise calories, too! Just make sure (as I'm trying to do, but MAN it's hard!) to eat quality calories (although a DQ bilzzard really seems tempting every now and then)!
  • AntiDentites
    AntiDentites Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know if those of you who had your metabolism tested, and had to increase your calorie intake, had any success with losing weight?