Starting lifting and need workout schedule advice please

Options
I am looking to adjust my weekly workout routine and am wondering what your schedule looks like. I started the NROLFW routine this week and want to make sure that I don't end up overtraining. Once I get into it a little more I will listen to my body but for now want to set up my possible schedule. So for those of you that lift AND have quite a bit of weight left to lose (I have about 65lbs left to go) or are knowledgable regarding this situation, please tell me what your schedule looks like.

Currently I do a boot camp for an hour (which I won't be giving up) three days a week (M,W,F) that includes bodyweight exercises, cardio, etc (a little of everything).
I would like to lift 2-3 days per week.
And I would like to get in some cardio. Currently doing cardio kickboxing 2 days a week (45min). Thinking about adding a lunch time run in 2 days a week (30 min).
My goal is to burn fat while maintaining my lean body mass since I can't build muscle while eating at a deficit.

One question I have is that a lot of people that lift say that cardio isn't necessary (except for heart health). But is that the case for someone who has so much to lose? I'm thinking I need cardio to burn the fat, and muscle to eventually speed up my metabolism and make me look good naked once I have lost the fat. Thoughts? I'm really clueless...obviously!

EDIT: I just want to add that my primary focus is on measurements and body fat % rather than the scale.

Replies

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    At my current weight of 210, I still need to drop about another 30 pounds. That being said, I am primarily focused on lifting, and cardio takes a major back seat to that for me. It's not because I think people shouldn't run, it's because I reeeeeeaally hate running.

I am just keeping myself in my current deficit, lifting heavy 4x per week, light(er) 2x per week, and throwing in cardio whenever I don't feel like a bag of smashed *kitten* after my lift sessions.
  • jonesin_am
    jonesin_am Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    At my current weight of 210, I still need to drop about another 30 pounds. That being said, I am primarily focused on lifting, and cardio takes a major back seat to that for me. It's not because I think people shouldn't run, it's because I reeeeeeaally hate running.

I am just keeping myself in my current deficit, lifting heavy 4x per week, light(er) 2x per week, and throwing in cardio whenever I don't feel like a bag of smashed *kitten* after my lift sessions.

So you're lifting 6 days a week and still losing without doing much for cardio?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

So you're lifting 6 days a week and still losing without doing much for cardio?

Pretty much. The weight loss has slowed, but it's still there. I am in a fairly drastic deficit for my body weight though (currently 900). In all reality, I am just as confused as anyone else, because according to most 'common knowledge', my lifts should be down, I should be losing weight left and right, and maybe catching cancer at the same time, but it's not happening that way. I just pulled two different PRs this week, and my weight has been relatively stable for the last few weeks, though body fat is still going down and I am seeing veins in places I certainly never had them showing before.
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    Yeah I rarely do cardio at all, and am down 50 lbs. Watch your diet - thats all that really counts
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I am not sure about NLROLFW but I am doing Stronglifts 5 x 5. I have been advised though that when heavy lifting you should allow at least a days rest between lifting to allow your muscles time to repair which is also an important part of the process.

I have also been advised that whilst cardio is a good idea to still do, both on lifting and non-lifting days it should not be high impact like HIIT, but done at Active Recovery Heart Rate range, so as not to stress the repairing muscles. You can of course choose to do lifting and high cardio, or lifting on every day, but if doing heavy lifting then somewhere along the way one or other or indeed both will suffer and progression will be difficult.