After 10 lbs, MFP resets the calories lower???

Options
After I've lost the first 10 lbs, MFP asked to reset my calories. Originally, it was 1350, and I eat that plus I eat back exercise calories I earn for the day. Now, its set at 1280. Curious as to why, is it because of being smaller? Also, want to know if I should customize it, because I recently found paperwork that I had a scan done and my BMR is 1326. Isn't that too low for me????

My stats are:

Height: 5' 2.5"
Weight: 149
Goal weight: 130
BMR: 1326

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Carrying less weight adjusts BMR downward.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Your BMR goes down as you get smaller so unless you had that scan done at the weight you are now it wouldn't be correct. There are lots of online calculators that will give you a pretty good idea of your BMR. MFP just does math, it spews out numbers based on what you tell it.
  • Guamybear
    Guamybear Posts: 1,061 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't reset until 30lbs loss but I am bigger than you.. Took a whole 50 cals away.. that is like one almond Roca less..ugh!
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    yes it's because you are smaller.

Lots of small people lose with eating 1200-1300
    Lots of people claim you have to eat way more.
    I guess it might depend on what they're doing for activity

I'm 5'1" CW: 128
    When I was around 150 I still ate around 1300 to lose

I think I lose more when I eat 1200 (and exercise) but I don't want it coming off super fast.
  • ww1900
    ww1900 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    yep, less weight to carry = less work done = less energy used.

Maybe you could start carrying around a 10lbs weight in a backpack to compensate:-) actually, I wonder if anyone does that? maybe a 20 lbs lead scuba belt would help me
  • Zumaria1
    Zumaria1 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Mine didn't reset until 30lbs loss but I am bigger than you.. Took a whole 50 cals away.. that is like one almond Roca less..ugh!

I know right???? That's prob why I feel sad, lol. :grumble:
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    Your BMR goes down as you get smaller so unless you had that scan done at the weight you are now it wouldn't be correct. There are lots of online calculators that will give you a pretty good idea of your BMR. MFP just does math, it spews out numbers based on what you tell it.

Interesting, I didnt think about my BMR changing with a 10 lb loss, for some reason I thought it changed at much higher losses, such as 50 or 100 lbs. Good info to know.
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    It resets because you're smaller and therefore need less calories to function. I didn't reset mine until I was down 20 pounds though. You're still at a deficit if you don't reset, it just isn't quite as big so the amount of projected calories you'll be losing in a week decreases slightly. I just wasn't ready to decrease my caloric intake yet at that point, which is always an option you could try if you don't want your daily allowance to drop yet.
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    It resets because you're smaller and therefore need less calories to function. I didn't reset mine until I was down 20 pounds though. You're still at a deficit if you don't reset, it just isn't quite as big so the amount of projected calories you'll be losing in a week decreases slightly. I just wasn't ready to decrease my caloric intake yet at that point, which is always an option you could try if you don't want your daily allowance to drop yet.

Yeah that's true. Hey, just more incentive to keep working out to earn those extra calories:laugh:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Want to avoid the drop off? Throw on a weighted vest for anything you do.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    It probably depends on your activity level but it is probably not too low for you. I'm in the same boat. I always get really excited because YaY! I lost 10 pounds! Oh.. no.... its taking away my calories intake. Sad day. But I think as we lose weight, our body needs less. The plan is to eat at a deficit so that the weight continues to come off. Then, someday, I'll be eating to maintain instead of to lose.
  • Timehope
    Timehope Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    For a moderately active person, the formula for maintenance calories is about 11 to 12 calories per pound of body weight. (Note, this is higher than BMR, which is how many calories you need if you lie in bed all day.) This assumes you walk around a bit to get lunch, walk to your car in the parking lot, climb a few stairs, go shopping, make the bed, chase your kid around to pick up clothes, etc. If you exercise then add the exercise calories on top of that. If you use machines at the gym you will see they decrease the estimate of calories burned as you punch in a lower weight. (But most machines overestimate calories -- beware!) Thus, a 200-pound person would need 2200 to 2400 calories to hold their weight steady. Twin studies show some variation among body types, which is why the figure is a range.

The upshot: for every pound you lose, you should subtract 11 or 12 calories from your daily budget.

I know, I know, it's a little like taxes -- the more successful you are, the more you got to pay.
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    The less bodyweight you have, the less your body needs to fuel it. Mine went down significantly also.
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    As you eat back your exercise calories then your NET calorie intake will be above your BMR so all is fine :drinker:

Well done on your weight loss to date :flowerforyou:
  • Zumaria1
    Options
    As you eat back your exercise calories then your NET calorie intake will be above your BMR so all is fine :drinker:

Well done on your weight loss to date :flowerforyou:

Thanks!!! Thanks to all for the tips!!!