Not sure what I am doing wrong....

Options

Replies

• imjenjen00
    Options
    if you are going to the gym you will be building muscle which is heavier than the fat you are loosing, so go on looks as well as the scales.

GAH!! Muscle is NOT heavier than fat. A pound of muscle weights exactly the same as a pound of fat. Muscle just takes up less space on your body.

Don't be silly. How could 1 lb of muscle take up less space than 1 lb of fat, unless as a general statement (without knowing weight or volume) muscle was heavier?

hahahahah, you're not serious are you? is this real life?

My thoughts exactly.
    **facepalm**
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Well my goal was 2 lbs a week and when I submit my entries at the end of the night, it says I should lose 16 lbs in 5 weeks, coming out to 3.2 lbs a week. High, and a little unrealistic I think, but I'd still like to know how it is so off... I lost 1.2 lbs in a week. My journal should be open, feel free to take a peek and let me know what you think.

Oh mercy - if I went by that stupid what you'll weigh in 5 weeks thing I would have lost at least 100 lbs by now. That thing is just plain mean.

1.2 lbs in a week is fantastic. Also - don't look at your loss EACH week. Take the average of a longer period. Some weeks you'll lose less, some more, some not at all, but as long as you're losing on average you're okay.
  • mikejholmes
    mikejholmes Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Which is heavier, a pound of bricks, or a pound of feathers......
    ;)
  • cayadear
    cayadear Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSrW3FJpqX7hAEstTghRQZAWRopzqn623STu5QDymduTxgDPfif
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You did not gain your weight over night you cannot expect to lose it over night. Stick with eating healthy and working out and it will come off.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    OP, you are undereating, eat more ©.
  • LoonyR
    LoonyR Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    wow, lol...a pound is a pound but muscle is heavier PER VOLUME then fat!! look it up peeps
  • glistug
    glistug Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well you shouldn't get discouraged over losing a little over a pound a week. I'm no expert, dietician, fitness trainer, or anything like that, but I do think a persons weight can fluctuate up and down from day to day for may reasons, water retention for one. And I don't know about yours, but my scale can also vary by a pound or two wither way.

Be encouraged that you are moving in the right direction, losing rather than gaining. In time, those single pound losses add up too.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    if you are going to the gym you will be building muscle which is heavier than the fat you are loosing, so go on looks as well as the scales.

GAH!! Muscle is NOT heavier than fat. A pound of muscle weights exactly the same as a pound of fat. Muscle just takes up less space on your body.

Don't be silly. How could 1 lb of muscle take up less space than 1 lb of fat, unless as a general statement (without knowing weight or volume) muscle was heavier?

muscle-and-fat.jpg

Exactly.
  • bcattoes
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279938-5-lbs-of-muscle-vs-5-lbs-of-fat-picture

Well now I'm really confused. Do we have 1 lb or 5 lbs?

Pretty sure the word you're looking for is "denser". 1lb of muscle is DENSER than 1lb of fat. Not heavier.

So, nothing is heavier than something else. Hmm, it's odd that word heavier even exists.
  • FitGuyWillDoIt
    FitGuyWillDoIt Posts: 111 Member
    Options

The best way to put it is that muscle is denser than fat like iron is denser than jelly. Iron looks better too. This is why an athlete like Randy Moss can weigh 200 lbs. and be lean & ripped at less than 10% bodyfat while an average person can also weigh 200 lbs. and be at 25% bodyfat.
  • bcattoes
    Options

The best way to put it is that muscle is denser than fat like iron is denser than jelly. Iron looks better too :happy:

Why is this better than just not assuming someone is so stupid that they think 1 lb =/= 1 lb and instead assuming that they are talking about same volume of each? IMO assuming people aren't stupid is better.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    MFP lies. Not on purpose, of course. But all the figure it gives you are averages and you can't use them as gospel because everyone is different. Just because the screen says "if you ate like this every day in 5 weeks you'd weight X", doesn't mean it's true. The same thing when it claims you burned 150 calories when you only walked a mile. (The net calorie burn of walking is about 50 calories a mile, btw.)

There are so many ways MFP can be off.

First of all, it can be off because it doesn't get your BMR right. The BMR it calculates for you is just an average based on other women your age and weight. But that doesn't mean it's your BMR. Yours could be higher or lower. If it's lower, then the amount of calories MFP things you need to maintain will be too high. So it will not give you enough of a deficit or it will think that the deficit you do have will lead to more weight loss than it does.

Another way it can be off is with the exercise database. I see exercise burns posted in my news feed from MFP that are ridiculously high. I know the database isn't subtracting off your BMR calories which are already accounted for. If you don't subtract them off, then you are counting them twice. This is why a lot of people only eat back half their exercise calories. Or they subtract off 60-100 calories an hour from what their HRM or MFP tells them. (HRMs also don't subtract off your BMR calories.)

It can also be off because of human error. If you don't record every lick, bite or sniff, you could easily be missing 50-200 calories a day. If you don't measure your food, your portion sizes could be bigger than you think. Also, if the package says there is 1 oz of food and that's 200 calories, there could be as much as 18% more than that by law so it could be that you are eating 236 calories. Do that a couple of times a day and it adds up!

You may also have put in too high an activity level when you first set MFP up. This is why a lot of people just put in sedentary and then record anything they do that's out of the ordinary and only if their loses show they need to do that.

What it's not likely to be is gaining muscle -- it's very hard to gain muscle when you eat at a calorie deficit. Some experts say it's impossible. Not sure I agree that it's impossible, but it's definitely hard.

The other thing is, losing 1.2 pounds a week is actually a pretty fast clip. If it was me, I wouldn't want to be losing faster than that because the faster you lose it, the harder your body fights to put it back on once you are in maintenance from what I can see. As an example, in some study of Biggest Lose participants -- people who are losing weight 2-3x faster than that -- they found their metabolisms were much more wrecked by their dieting than typical dieters who lose it slower.
  • Dawnhasajeep
    Dawnhasajeep Posts: 180 Member
    Options

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/279938-5-lbs-of-muscle-vs-5-lbs-of-fat-picture

Pretty sure the word you're looking for is "denser". 1lb of muscle is DENSER than 1lb of fat. Not heavier.

So, nothing is heavier than something else. Hmm, it's odd that word heavier even exists.
    Please do not breed.
  • fstender
    fstender Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Try changing your diet...I think just because your staying within your calorie goal always isn't very good...I think it does matter what your diet looks like to be the most effective. I challenge you to eat really well this week....no or little sugar, no starchy foods (rice, noodles, bread ect) and watch out...you will be so amazed! I had this problem too..infact i was gaining weight...Then i started the DASH diet...only on day 5 and i can so see a huge different. Also...Get rid of the scale...maybe weigh in twice a month...so much can be a factor with day or week to week weighing...the longer you have in between weighing could be better mentally for you...Just food for thought...( all calorie free...haha) Good luck!
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Why is this better than just not assuming someone is so stupid that they think 1 lb =/= 1 lb and instead assuming that they are talking about same volume of each? IMO assuming people aren't stupid is better.
    I agree that assuming someone is stupid (rather than simply ignoring their casual misuse of terms) may not be the best approach. But I'm not sure feigning ignorance or purposely being difficult over 3-4 posts is the best way to prove that point.
  • kennethmgreen
    kennethmgreen Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing most people who are capable of typing likely understand that five pounds = five pounds. Reminding them that five pounds = five pounds probably isn't necessary (despite how cool the muscle and fat pics are). I think most people understand what posters *mean* when they say "muscle weighs more than fat." It may not be technically correct, but we know what they mean. They're using phrases like "weighs more" and "heavier" without context (like volume), or in short hand. Or maybe they are confusing weight and density. But we know what they are trying to say, right?

If the urge to correct someone about muscle and fat is too powerful, we could suggest (as others have already) something like: "because muscle is more dense than fat, given the same amount of space in your body, muscle will weigh more." Or perhaps simply saying "one cubic inch of muscle weighs more than one cubic inch of fat." That's just adding the prefix "one cubic inch of" to both words. We could even start a movement for the prefix, call it OCIO. Then, anytime someone posts "muscle weighs more than fat," someone could post OCIO and move on. Or maybe go the suffix route, appending "given the same volume" - call it GSV. Someone could make T-shirts. Either way, we could link to the FAQ (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/390247-does-muscle-weigh-more-than-fat) and have more time for fun stuff like juggling.
  • Rhozelyn
    Rhozelyn Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Also, with the whole muscle thing, its pretty much physically impossible for a woman to gain more then 1/2 lb a week, without some kind of steroid.

Lol
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12

It takes time to get through, but I didn't start losing till I read this and followed it, eating more calories than I thought I should be but following the formula. It works.

This is working really well for me too.
  • toni119922
    toni119922 Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Please do not breed.
    ^^^This. :laugh: