My trainer suggested I get a HRM

SraArroz
SraArroz Posts: 238
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
Any suggestions? I'm so new to all of this, and my budget isn't very large, but I agree that this could be a good thing to have. Are they hard to use? Is there HRM for Dummies? LOL

Replies

• lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    You can get basic ones that count your calories for you at Walmart from $20-$30. I got mine (Oregon Scientific) on Amazon for $75; Polars go anywhere from $90 up. Just depends on how many features and what brand you want. But if you just want something to count calories, start w/Walmart and shop online - it has a better selection than in store, and has free site to store shipping.
  • SraArroz
    SraArroz Posts: 238
    I'm looking at the sites and some don't look like watches... is there a difference? Is one better than the other?
  • ClarkOMan
    ClarkOMan Posts: 54 Member
    I was trying to figure out just where to post, but Woot.com had a nice inexpensive HRM with a chest strap Saturday for $35 (29.95 +5$ s&h). I know i'm a little late :( If your not in a hurry they have them from time to time. I got my Sportline HRM from Wal-Mart last year for cheap. I like it but would like to have more features. I'd really like to have a Polar brand, I'm holding out for one, but I'm too cheap to shell out the cash just now. The one I have is very easy to use. It counts steps, has a hi lo target alarm, calculates distance, and time. It was nice to start out with.
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Try to get a watch with a chest strap; their more accurate because the chest strap gets a constant read on your HR whereas the watch alone only takes random samplings. Hope that helps!
  • Laceylala
    Laceylala Posts: 3,094 Member
    Get a Polar F6. They are about $90ish, but you can find them on ebay for less sometimes. And Amazon. Simple, easy to use and comfortable.

If you find one you like for less I would suggest that you get on amazon.com and search for it. There are many many HRM's that have reviews on amazon and the only ones that get consistent good reviews are the Polar HRM's.

Good luck!
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    I just bought a Mio Motiva petite this weekend. It was about $100 and a chest strap HRM would be more accurate, but I like this one because I can wear it all day. I'd be too fussy with a chest strap. So far, I really like it. It's a little complicated, but the instruction manual is very clear, and after a little practice I felt like I understood the general principle of the thing.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    I would consider doing some research on heart rate training before spending money. You also need to determine exactly what features you want.

If all you want is a device to measure heart rate--to determine if you are training at the right intensity or recoving properly during interval workouts, then a cheaper model will work fine.

If you want anything resembling a reasonably accurate calorie count, then you need to invest in a Polar F6, Suunto T1c or higher model. Anything else is more than likely a waste of money.

If you want a "relative" calorie count, that is not accurate but which might reflect changes in your workout "output", then a cheaper model might do.

But if you start out with "I don't have much of a budget", you are probably going to waste your money.
This discussion has been closed.