Hello from a "new person"

I started logging with MFP over a year ago....but stopped immediately. Not that this app and website isn't totally fantastic, I just cannot stay motivated to stick with recording everything.

Does anyone have any tricks or tips on how you get into the groove and keep moving along with this app?

Replies

• dani_1977
    dani_1977 Posts: 557 Member
    not really tips to help lop everyday. but..

the more you log, the more it remembers your fav/recent foods. So you dont have to search so much

also prepping you food is also helpful. Sometime I can log my food for the next, because I know 80% of what Im eating.

it takes 6-8 weeks to make something a habit. By the time you have been logging in for 6-8 you have could lost 6-8 pounds or more.

feel free to add me
  • I'm new here, but in the past I used a different food tracking program. I often lose interest in logging all of my food because I don't want to keep logging all day long every time I eat something. One thing that helps me is I sit down the day before and plan out what I'm going to eat for the next day and then log it in advance. It helps me stick to my diet, and also cuts down on the time I spend thinking about what I'm going to eat. If there is any variations I can come back and make changes.
  • ehorn625
    ehorn625 Posts: 144
    Hello! I, too, will sometimes log in what I know I am going to eat but you have to be disciplined. I am motivated because I just went for a check up and I am the heaviest I have ever been. I have family history of high blood pressure. It scared/motiviated me enough to get back to change my eating habits.

Good luck!
  • I too have done this on and off for over a year or so. I don't either remember doing it. But I have done it now for 5 days and feel very accomplished. I having it on my phone helps me alot. Also, I work at computer all day long so I am able to do it. I also know that I have no choice if I want to lose weight i have to write it down. if you need friends to keep you motivated then lets be friends on here. Remember it does take time to get in a routine.
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    SUPPORT IS MY TRICK! I love that everyone on here is so supportive because we're doing the same thing. Also, 2 of my friends are doing this as well, so we help each other. I work in a pizza place, so I told some of my friends in the kitchen and they only give me the healthiest things (usually grilled chicken for my protein).
    My other motivation is every time I lose weight. I never thought keeping a diary and working out would be so easy. I only go to the gym for 20-30 minutes on days I don't work. I keep them short so I can motivate myself to go again. I know it won't take long and I can eat a nice dinner when I do. If my workouts take 90 minutes or so, the next time I will make excuses not to go.
    I eat a lot of lean cuisine and smart one meals because it's a small dose of something you couldn't normally have like pasta or roast beef and mac & cheese. Granny Smith apples with all natural JIF peanut butter are also delicious and fill me up for quite a while.
    Lastly, I keep busy. If I keep busy, not only am I moving around more, but I am also not eating because I am bored or eating when I am not hungry. It keeps me going.
    I never knew I could stay at 1200 calories a day and still be full when I went to sleep.

I hope your journey goes smoother this time around. Feel free to add me and good luck! :)
  • lovemitch125
    lovemitch125 Posts: 257 Member
    I'm new here, but in the past I used a different food tracking program. I often lose interest in logging all of my food because I don't want to keep logging all day long every time I eat something. One thing that helps me is I sit down the day before and plan out what I'm going to eat for the next day and then log it in advance. It helps me stick to my diet, and also cuts down on the time I spend thinking about what I'm going to eat. If there is any variations I can come back and make changes.

I do this too, but I also bring my smart phone everywhere and record with that. My friends and family have gotten used to it especially when we go out to eat. I type in the restaurant and I just look for something delicious that's low in calories. It helps A LOT!
  • amberklucas
    amberklucas Posts: 14 Member
    Thanks for all of the helpful responses!! I never really thought about logging it the day before! Such a great tip! I always have my phone but I hate getting it out and punching in all of my food constantly.

I've never had trouble losing weight until I got married and got the big 3-0. It's made losing weight so much harder for me because I get discouraged so easily.

Again, thanks for the tips! I know that I can use all of the advice I can and you've all helped tremendously!

I might add a couple of you because I only have two friends using this app now. :)
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    My computer automatically comes to this site, so I'm here every day. Also, once I eat something, I log it because I know if I don't do something while I'm thinking about it, it may not get done at all.