Running Question

Options
I'm sure this has been asked, but... hoping by reposting I'll get a quick answer.

I've started running. I love it. I did the C25K on the treadmill. Signed up for my first 5K for Mothers Day. I had my first 3 mile outside run last week. I've done it twice now. Feel great and not concerned. My question is this...

The next day the top of my thighs (muscles) are sore. I'm sure not enough stretching has something to do with it so I'm going to make sure to be better... but, is it best to wait until the muscle tenderness/tightness is completely gone before running my 3 mile loop again or is it okay to go for it? I know I'd get through it, I just don't want to cause any damage. I'm turning into a running addict and want to go running every night, but because my thigh muscles are sore I'm torn between going running or doing some other form of exercise.

Thoughts?

Replies

• BethTucker
    Options
    Running on a treadmill and running outside require your muscles to work in different ways. So if the majority of your training has been on the treadmill you are more than likely sore because of the transition to the road. You don't state how much you run , what your weekly mileage is or if you are following a formal training program. That information would help as to whether you should run through the muscle soreness or keep training. Cross-training is always a good idea and in addition to giving your running muscles a break it strengthens other muscles that aren't worked by running alone so you are more balanced. If you are running every day and are new, my instinct is that you are overtraining and not gving your quads a break. Which is to say that maybe your should back off and run every other day. I also enjoy running and trained avidly (stubbornly? ha ha) for a marathon last year. But I have found that cross training and backing off actually IMPROVED my running.

I hope this helps and good luck on your 5K.
  • biokim17
    biokim17 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with Beth. I have been running "small distances" (1-2 miles) over the past couple of years, and in the past 8 months have started training for a half marathon. Even when I was running the short distances, 3 miles or less, I was not giving myself enough time to heal, and I ended up injurying my foot. It took 4 weeks, and several trips to the doctor to heal. Rest is VERY important, even for the short runs. I have actually started giving myself two days of rest after my long runs ( 9 miles +), and one day rest after my shorter runs (less than 5 miles). I think the resting has greatly improved my running, and I find I'm not as tired on my long days. One other thing that helped me greatly was I started streching twice a day, whether I was running that day or not. It has made a huge difference in my muscle soreness.

Good luck on your 5K, I'm sure you will do great!
  • pamelapamela
    Options
    Heidi,

Feeling sore after your big run is completely normal! It happens even when you've stretched properly, it's called DOMS = delayed onset muscle soreness/stiffness. It's cause by the tiny tears in your muscle fibers when you're working hard, these tears don't hurt right away because your body is a defense mechanism and uses epinepherine and adrenaline to shunt this pain! That's why you don't usually feel it until the next day!

Running before your muscles go completely back to normal is fine.. as long as it's done in moderation! It's better to keep those legs moving, it'll actually help the soreness heal! But be sure not to hit it to hard, because your muscles fibers do need time to repair themselves (and grow!)

Good luck!
  • HeidiRodzen
    HeidiRodzen Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    To add more since some have questioned... I do cross-train. I use my elliptical every time I don't run (and scheduling definitely doesn't allow me to run everyday - even though I wish it did). I started out doing what I could on the elliptical, but now am going through the 12 programmed workouts (I just completed #11 tonight). I also do zumba a couple times a week and strength training twice a week. I've been very smart about this whole running thing. I didn't jump out the door trying to run 3 miles. I followed the C25K to a T on the treadmill. When I started running outside my first venture was 1.75 miles (and I didnt run the whole thing, I took a 1 minute walking break in the middle). I quickly learned how different it was than the treadmill! A lot tougher. I ran the 1.75 loop about half a dozen times before I increased the distance. I typically take a day off between running anyway, but I have the two-day syndrome... my body has a tendency to do pretty well the day after its the "day two" when I get kicked and by then I'm itching to get out the door.

I asked because I went to boot camp Friday night and really worked myself hard. I got up Saturday feeling okay and ran the 3 mile loop. Yesterday my legs were feeling pretty tight so I took a rest day and didn't go any exercise, only stretching. I wanted to run tonight, but weather didn't allow it. My legs are doing better, but still a little tender in the squat position. I did end up doing the elliptical and my legs felt fine and actually feel even better now.

I just want to make sure, since I'm relatively new to this whole exercising/fitness/running thing, that I can't/won't injure myself if I'm not back to 100% before I push forward.

Thanks to everyone that has responded so far!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    Beth is right, running outside vs treadmill does use the muscles in different ways. You will be sore in different places, sometimes places you didn't even know you had :laugh: You should try to take a rest day each week and try not to increase your mileage by more than 10-15% each week to avoid injury. If you have one area in particular that seems to be aching or more tender than others you can use the RICE method to help ease these symptoms.

RICE is rest, ice, compress and elevate. It doesn't hurt to take an anti inflammatory like aleve or ibuprofen if your able to if the pain is pretty nonstop but for the most part this will pass. If it hurts too much to do normal daily activities then you need a rest and if it feels alright until you run you may need to back off your running or slow your pace for a few days.

Good luck on your race!
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    When you say the tops of your thighs, do you mean in the big thigh (quad) muscle? Or do you mean more in the part where your thigh connects to your hip? My general theory (based loosely on fact!) is that if it's just muscle soreness, that's completely normal, but if it's anything in the joint / bendy areas, I'd be more cautious. You mentioned it hurts in the squat position, so I'm guessing you just mean the muscle -- in which case, working out again will actually help (in my experience.) Boot camps are notorious for that kind of muscle soreness! :happy:
  • robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem and I kept running anyway. I went to an orthopedic this past Friday and he says I have tendonitis. That now means 6 weeks with no running .Take my advice...take time to heal before you mess something up worse. It is very hard advice to take, but your body will thank you for it later...Stay motivated!! You can do it. Also, cross train.Good Luck.