Does anyone else wonder....

Options
Why there are ads for a competitor's website on these pages? The my-calorie-counter.com ads?

Replies

• BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I wondered more about about the Double Cheeseburger from Hardees add that came up one day. It gave me a good laugh though. :-)
  • NotSurprised
    NotSurprised Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I think that goes partly to Mike's undoubting confidence in this website, well atleast hopefully that's it.:laugh: What up Mike!:wink::wink:
  • wolf23
    wolf23 Posts: 4,152 Member
    Options
    I noticed once when I was quite a bit under my calories the ad was for Dairy Queen :laugh:
  • Vallandingham
    Vallandingham Posts: 2,177
    Options
    I've never noticed the ads before.
  • lazygirllosesweight
    Options
    They aren't directly advertising the website. It's the ads that ask you to guess which item has more calories. Yesterday it was a Starbuck's Mochachino (sp?) vs. a Big Mac. I clicked on it and was redirected to another calorie counting website.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    mike uses the google ad program, in which they taylor the banners to your subject, they don't really care which advertisers are in those ads as they go by category.

So for MFP you'd probably have a category of food, nutrition, and health (as an example), which would probably be why you'd see both that calorie website and Hardees ...et all.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    side note, if you use google chrome and Ad block, you don't get the ads any more, which is kinda nice (sorry Mike).
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    side note, if you use google chrome and Ad block, you don't get the ads any more, which is kinda nice (sorry Mike).

That's what I use- I LOVE not seeing ads anymore! :wink:
  • arfletcher
    arfletcher Posts: 143
    Options
    YAY for addbots! I remember following links onday on my computer and I wound up on this site for a very unstable person who belived that they only way for us to protect ourselves in this life was to wear only white... I dont remember exactly what it was all about - but it was fairly crazy - and the adds that came up on the page were all for white shirts!:laugh: :laugh: I think that its really funny..