CARBS

Options
Just wondering what you all think of carbs? How many carbs to eat a day?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    200-300g of day. Carbs are fine for you. They provide energy. If you lower them, you will store a bit less water but just make it in moderation. Although if you fine yourself hungry, then increasing protein and fats will help with that.
    '

Feel free to look at my diary. I love me some Chipotle burritos!!!
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    Carbs are optional so it's up to personal preference. As long as you're getting enough protein and enough fat you can allot the rest of your calories for carbs. You could also limit carbs and eat more fats and protein. I limit myself to 50g net carbs (carbs minus fiber) a day, but that's just what works for me. When I limit carbs I stop having cravings.
  • Tracytxray
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • Bumdrahp
    Bumdrahp Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Alls I know..

Is i ate some bread yesterday and now I am 2 lbs heavier.

No lie.. I never eat it.. my body had this super awesome rejecting reaction to it. SO hot.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    40%....
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Set MFP to 40% and just eat below TDEE.
  • ChelseaM18
    Options
    I eat between 150-165 carbs a day, I also keep my protein high at about 100-130 grams a day, so I keep both of them high for energy and recovery because I'm fairly active everyday, I just keep my fats low at about 50g, when you lower your fats you eat a lot more I've found.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Love me some carbs! They are a great energy source. I tend to get 150-250g per day, depending on the exercise I'm doing (if I'm doing a lot of cardio, I eat more carbs).
  • 17ChargerGirl17
    Options
    Since I'm doing the low carb Atkins thingy i eat 20 or less a day.
    This is just my preference.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Your body uses carbs for energy first then it goes for fats then protein. Obviously, you can see why people try low carb since the theory is to get right to the fat burning. Personally, I think low carb sacrifices energy for performance.
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I love carbs. They are delicious and make me feel good.
  • southern_star
    southern_star Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Carbs are optional so it's up to personal preference. As long as you're getting enough protein and enough fat you can allot the rest of your calories for carbs. You could also limit carbs and eat more fats and protein. I limit myself to 50g net carbs (carbs minus fiber) a day, but that's just what works for me. When I limit carbs I stop having cravings.

I too have noticed that I do not have cravings since limiting my carbs. I thought that I was crazy at first lol.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Just wondering what you all think of carbs? How many carbs to eat a day?

I average around 200 grams a day. My carbs are 45% of my total calories.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

I too have noticed that I do not have cravings since limiting my carbs. I thought that I was crazy at first lol.
    Once your body gets used to ketosis it stops yelling at you to eat carbs and adjusts to the new fuel source.
  • 2Bgoddess
    2Bgoddess Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    This is what mine is set to: 40% carb / 14% fat / 46% protein
  • MsAmulet
    Options
    Check out http://www.reddit.com/r/keto and read the FAQ. Lots of solid info on there. Do the research for yourself and see what works for you.
  • jan1755
    jan1755 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    My carbs are set at 40 percent.
  • dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I low carb due to a chronic illness that makes me insulin resistant and intolerant to grains and gluten. And because it makes me feel great! I run a lot and train pretty much 6 days a week and haven't seen any issues with performance, and that's on 20 net carbs (or less) a day. Just listen to your body, ignore the scale(it loves to lie), pay attention to your measurements/fitness progression, and you should be good to go!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Once your body gets used to ketosis it stops yelling at you to eat carbs and adjusts to the new fuel source.

Bull****.
    Ketosis has its uses but the chance for bounce back fat gain after you come out of it is higher and can set you back in the long run.
    I wouldn't listen to any of this BS advice.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options

Bull****.
    Ketosis has its uses but the chance for bounce back fat gain after you come out of it is higher and can set you back in the long run.
    I wouldn't listen to any of this BS advice.
    Keto isn't for everyone but I notice that I stop having cravings on it. I don't plan on ever switching back to a moderate or high carb diet because I like eating this way and my energy levels are more stable. It's sustainable for me to eat like this but it might not be for someone else. I'm just sharing my experience.