What do/did you do for strength training?

Options
I am 5"3, 277 lbs, and at the very beginning of my weight loss journey. I have no idea what to do for strength. When I do things alone, along with youtube videos, I feel like I might be doing things wrong, like I might not have proper technique. I can't afford a personal trainer, and since I'm so out of shape, any class at my gym would be WAY above my level of fitness. Any suggestions to strength training would be greatly appriciated? I don't really wanna do any strength training, but I know it's a necessary part of weight loss.

Replies

• Troublemonster
    Troublemonster Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    "New rules of lifting for women" would probably be a great starting point for you. That and "Starting Strength" are great for beginners looking to gain some understanding of how to get into lifting.

Congratulations on the start of your journey and good on ya for wanting to include weight training in it. I would say good luck but there is no luck involved, it takes dedication and hard work, that is all.
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    bump
  • RunDoozer
    RunDoozer Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 really easy and straight forward .... or New rules of weightlifting for women

And strength training isn't necessary for weight loss, but it does help you look better when you get there.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Squats, deadlift, bench press, overhead press, pullups (since you are at the beginning you will most likely need to use the assisted pullup machine), most forms of barbell rows.

Do a search for any of those on YouTube and you will find a plethora of how-to videos.

You may not want to do strength training now, but I promise, after you get past the first few weeks of 'OMG, I'm gonna die', you will feel amazing, and never want to stop.
  • Noor13
    Noor13 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Cathe Friedrich workouts DVDs. Doing her STS series at the moment!
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Goodwill or garage sales for weights....or workout videos...if you have cable some companies provide free fitness shows on demand....bodybuilding.com.....baby steps.....good luck!
  • Megdonald1
    Megdonald1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

^~~~~~ This!! I have done this program twice and I REALLY like it. There are videos with each exercise in case you don't know how to do something specific. You should check it out!! GOOD LUCK!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    You may not want to do strength training now, but I promise, after you get past the first few weeks of 'OMG, I'm gonna die', you will feel amazing, and never want to stop.

^^^^YOU SPEAK TRUTH^^^^
  • misssmarita
    Options
    But when it comes to things I can find online, youtube videos and other kindsa guides, how do I know I've got the right technique when I can't afford a personal trainer to show me?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    But when it comes to things I can find online, youtube videos and other kindsa guides, how do I know I've got the right technique when I can't afford a personal trainer to show me?

Here's the thing most PTs and forum jockeys don't bother to tell you: form is an individual thing. You can watch videos and talk to people all day long, but in the end, it's only good for a rough idea. Watch videos, get a general idea, watch yourself in mirrors at the gym while lifting. Once you are a little more comfortable, start adding more weight and your body will tell you if you are doing something wrong.

Example: my deadlift form looks atrocious (ask anyone who's seen the video of my PR from this past Monday), but it works just fine...for ME. According to most of the people here, I should be crippled from pulling the way I do.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I started with a body weight circuit at home to try and build up some muscle first (and learn form for things like body weight squats first). Then, I started stronglifts 5x5 in January. I'm a member of the stronglifts for women group, which has a ton of support, advice, and a non-testosterone filled explanation of the program (but reading the original can be entertaining).

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/4601-stronglifts-5x5-for-women

As for correct form, I agree that videos online can help, and progressing a little slower can help too. I hurt my knees doing squats, and from reading around and asking for advice, it seems I tried to add to much too quickly. My muscles weren't quite strong enough, and my knees buckled in, which leads to knee pain. So, I deload, wait for the pain to stop, and then start again but going slower. It isn't the end of the world :smile:
  • DaniH826
    DaniH826 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    I'm going with kettlebells ATM, with an eye on powerlifting down the road ... I LOVE kettlebells! Very fun. :smile:

Whatever you do ... start low and slow and build from there. Go with where your body currently is and respect your limits while pushing beyond them.

Individual form may vary, but good posture is called "good" for a reason. Protect your back/spine and your knees and ankles. Learn proper body mechanics. Which really has nothing to do with finding a personal trainer because it's mostly common sense. No matter what system/program you use, the basic body mechanics won't change (like using your core muscles to stabilize yourself, keeping your spine aligned properly, etc).

Also I highly recommend Yoga. To me there's simply no better way to stretch those muscles and work the tightness out of your system, and you WILL learn good posture, body mechanics, proper breathing, balance and focus.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    I am 5"3, 277 lbs, and at the very beginning of my weight loss journey. I have no idea what to do for strength. When I do things alone, along with youtube videos, I feel like I might be doing things wrong, like I might not have proper technique. I can't afford a personal trainer, and since I'm so out of shape, any class at my gym would be WAY above my level of fitness. Any suggestions to strength training would be greatly appriciated? I don't really wanna do any strength training, but I know it's a necessary part of weight loss.

does your gym have staff monitoring the free weight area? I go to the local YMCA, and they have a PT and a fitness monitor watching the fitness floor most of the time. Any time I feel like my form is off, I ask them to come watch me for a set. Probably once every few weeks the fitness monitor decides to watch me, and tells me that my form looks good.

Until you get a little more confidence, there is nothing wrong with using the strength machines at the gym. The ones I started with are by a company called LifeFitness, and they have pictures on the side of the machine telling you how to use it. The Y also does a free class called Fitstart where a trainer takes a small group around and shows them how the machines work.
  • RunDoozer
    Options

I take my phone with me and watch the videos right before I do the exercise. And start on low weights so it's easier to get good form first and then increase.
  • RunDoozer
    Options

Here's the thing most PTs and forum jockeys don't bother to tell you: form is an individual thing. You can watch videos and talk to people all day long, but in the end, it's only good for a rough idea. Watch videos, get a general idea, watch yourself in mirrors at the gym while lifting. Once you are a little more comfortable, start adding more weight and your body will tell you if you are doing something wrong.

Example: my deadlift form looks atrocious (ask anyone who's seen the video of my PR from this past Monday), but it works just fine...for ME. According to most of the people here, I should be crippled from pulling the way I do.

This may work for you but it is likely to get a lot of people hurt. Especially a newbie that has no clue about what is supposed to feel right and what isn't.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I have no access to free weights, so I have been doing body weight exercises: pushups, squats, planks, etc. I also make a point to lift heavy things. I have even dug through the garage to find heavy things to lift. I have used my bathroom scale to weigh them to see how much I'm lifting. It's not a great routine, but it works for now.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    This may work for you but it is likely to get a lot of people hurt. Especially a newbie that has no clue about what is supposed to feel right and what isn't.

Precisely my point. I see a lot of people on various forums QQing over hurting themselves while using "perfect" form....turns out later that the form wasn't so perfect for their individual leverages, limb lengths, etc.

I agree that it's a good place to start, but just like anything else that works for the masses, you'll need to fine tune it for you specifically, as your lifts get heavier.
  • tina1767
    Options
    I bought the Weight Watchers "Belly, Butt and Thighs" DVD that included the stability ball from Walmart. It was about $25. It has 3 levels, beginner through advanced. The exercises are not hard, but it gets you started on your way. I'm on the intermediate level now. I also purchased Tony Horton's 10-minute results program. I haven't started it yet, but look forward to it soon. You can also purchase resistance bands to help with muscle building in most sporting good stores.