Balancing Nutrition and LIfe

Options
Ok, before you all beat me up about my diary please note that I do the best I can in my current life schedule.

What I need help with is ideas for quick easy meal planning and meal Ideas.

My normal when i do good at packing is
chicken
long grain brown rice
salad

I dont really know how to make foods that are healthy that are quick.. I am working 14-16 hour days right now and then have 2 kids and a hubby at home..

I have not been to the gym in almost 2 weeks and working out at home is not really an option for me...

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    When time and money was more of a factor, I did a lot of make-ahead meals (you can search "make ahead meals" on google). Or, I would double or triple a recipe, so I could freeze the leftovers. Or put the leftovers in the fridge for a later meal or lunch. I still make my work lunches and healthy snacks on the weekends, all preportioned and divided out, so I can just grab-n-go in the mornings during the week.
  • laceybrobie
    laceybrobie Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    When time and money was more of a factor, I did a lot of make-ahead meals (you can search "make ahead meals" on google). Or, I would double or triple a recipe, so I could freeze the leftovers. Or put the leftovers in the fridge for a later meal or lunch. I still make my work lunches and healthy snacks on the weekends, all preportioned and divided out, so I can just grab-n-go in the mornings during the week.

what type of foods? I need more ideas than anything at this point i think..

Sundays are going to be my prep days, just dont knowwhat to prep for a week
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Make friends with a Crockpot, chicken, low sodium/fat free chicken stock, rice and other lean meats. I'm a single mom of two, full time college student and just picked up working 20 hours a week, and the Crockpot is saving my life!! Plus you can do soups, stews, shredded meats, and it can be really inexpensive. Most recently I did chicken breast cooked in chicken stock, shredded it, tossed in a can of green chilis, smoked paprika, chili powder, garlic powder and wrapped in a whole wheat tortilla :)
  • tabilw
    tabilw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have a very busy schedule myself and work a lot. I spend my Saturday afternoons cooking meals for the rest of the week or month and then freeze them. For example: last saturday I cooked up the following: baked 6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, shredded them and put them in freezer bags. Grilled 4 chicken breasts (not all the way, but most of the way cooked) and froze them. Cooked ground elk and turkey and put them into freezer bags. Cooked a whole bunch of brown rice and put them into freezer bags.
    Here's what I used all of this for:
    Spaghetti
    Tacos -chicken or turkey
    Chicken caccatori
    Ground Turkey asian lettuce wraps
    Orange chicken
    Honey chile chicken and quinoa

I serve most things with frozen or fresh veggies. When I finally get home from work, it only takes me about 10 minutes tops to prepare a healthy dinner for me and my hubby. Sometimes my hubby can just grab the stuff and do it. Works great!
  • WBB55
    Options
    what type of foods?

It's hard for anyone to suggest without knowing more about you:
    What style of food do you eat? Meat & potatoes? Vegetarian? Whole foods? Atkins? Paleo?
    What are your health goals? Lose weight? Lower cholesterol? Control blood glucose? Gain muscle? Feel better?
  • Jonesie86
    Jonesie86 Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I have a very busy schedule myself and work a lot. I spend my Saturday afternoons cooking meals for the rest of the week or month and then freeze them. For example: last saturday I cooked up the following: baked 6 boneless/skinless chicken breasts, shredded them and put them in freezer bags. Grilled 4 chicken breasts (not all the way, but most of the way cooked) and froze them. Cooked ground elk and turkey and put them into freezer bags. Cooked a whole bunch of brown rice and put them into freezer bags.
    Spaghetti
    Tacos -chicken or turkey
    Chicken caccatori
    Orange chicken

I serve most things with frozen or fresh veggies. When I finally get home from work, it only takes me about 10 minutes tops to prepare a healthy dinner for me and my hubby. Sometimes my hubby can just grab the stuff and do it. Works great!

My new hero!!! hahaha
  • laceybrobie
    Options
    what type of foods?

It's hard for anyone to suggest without knowing more about you:
    What style of food do you eat? Meat & potatoes? Vegetarian? Whole foods? Atkins? Paleo?
    What are your health goals? Lose weight? Lower cholesterol? Control blood glucose? Gain muscle? Feel better?

Meat, rice, veggies.. No special diet. I am not a fish fan, but will eat tuna..
    Lose weight, gain muscle, and feel better...
  • laceybrobie
    Options
    Spaghetti
    Tacos -chicken or turkey
    Chicken caccatori
    Orange chicken

Thank you, i have a crockpot so i will start to use that more...
  • WBB55
    Options
    Rice, meat and vegies? Sounds like you're a candidate for a "fuzzy logic" rice cooker. Throw stuff in machine, wait 20 minutes and you have dinner, it does all the thinking for you (if you follow some VERY BASIC guidelines in the instructions). Make lots of extra to freeze/refrigerate for future lunches. The nicer ones can also be a crock pot. They make more than rice. They have timers if you want to set them ahead of time. The internet has tons of "rice cooker" recipes.

I loved mine, but they're just too big to be practical for one person.
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Fruits and veggies are the quickest things to eat when you are in a hurry. A banana doesn't even have to be washed :). Veggie stew can be tossed together easily on your day off and then packed for quick, yummy lunches. Nuts and seeds, while high in calories, are good for a quick snack if you do it in moderation.