Got REAMED by doctor today.

Options

Replies

• VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Some doctors can be horrible a-holes. Sorry you had to deal with this.

Find another one and get the new one to send you to a dietitian for a consult if you really want to get some help.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    wow
  • nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    That is awful! She was way out of line!! But, that being said...I hope you go to your regular doctor to find out what's going on that is making you feel so bad!! You can let him know how the visit with the NP went while you are there. You don't have to see her anymore!
  • erickita89
    erickita89 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    you were treated like that because SHE SUCKS! find someone else to talk to and to help you out
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that horrible woman made you cry and I agree with other posters who have suggested placing a complaint.

As a woman who has struggled with her weight for years, I know exactly what you are going through.

Have you examined how much you're eating in relation to how much exercise you are doing? There is a good possibility that with a few tweaks you won't be miserable and maybe even start to feel really good :smile: If you are exercising that much and trying to function on a 1200 calorie/day diet, well, it's no wonder you are miserable!

Just food for thought :flowerforyou:
  • crubinetti
    crubinetti Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    She was basically saying that until I get my weight down i shouldn't exercise and I am not really on board with that.

It's difficult for medical professionals when people completely discredit their advice.
    What kind of exercise are you doing? But it's true that most of weightloss happens in the kitchen.

I wasn't discrediting the exercise advice, I am just trying not to hold the couch down 20 hours a day. I am doing the treadmill (at 2-2.5) or eliptical (at 30-35 RPM). This is not hardcore stuff.
  • crubinetti
    Options
    I'm so sorry that horrible woman made you cry and I agree with other posters who have suggested placing a complaint.

As a woman who has struggled with her weight for years, I know exactly what you are going through.

Have you examined how much you're eating in relation to how much exercise you are doing? There is a good possibility that with a few tweaks you won't be miserable and maybe even start to feel really good :smile: If you are exercising that much and trying to function on a 1200 calorie/day diet, well, it's no wonder you are miserable!

I net about 1500-1700 calories a day. The fitbit makes adjustments for you so that you are not undereating. It is kind of a banking system per se.
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I can remember being very proud to go see my doctor (way long ago). I had been fighting to lose weight and felt like I was victorious since I went from 200 to 132........per the doctor my goal weigh was 130............when I got there I expected great praise for all I had achieved............instead I got " you still need to lose 2 pounds"............!!!! Really???? Heck that could have been water weight, salt retention, etc..............................it made me realize doctors have issues too!! lol

Take pride in your victories -- don't forget to applaud the small steps because they lead to the biggest ones!
  • VelociMama
    Options
    She was basically saying that until I get my weight down i shouldn't exercise and I am not really on board with that.

It's difficult for medical professionals when people completely discredit their advice.
    What kind of exercise are you doing? But it's true that most of weightloss happens in the kitchen.

I wasn't discrediting the exercise advice, I am just trying not to hold the couch down 20 hours a day. I am doing the treadmill (at 2-2.5) or eliptical (at 30-35 RPM). This is not hardcore stuff.

Did your doctor give a reason for exercise restriction other than your weight (i.e. joint issues, etc.)?
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    good luck on your journey.
  • skydiveD30571
    skydiveD30571 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    Follow the above advice on adjusting your protein intake. Like they said, 25-30% being protein is a much better amount. And even then, it's a minimum.

Out of curiosity, how did you determine what calorie amount to aim for? I wonder if you are undereating. I had a problem undereating and felt hungry/tired/crappy all the time. I reevaluated what I was doing, realized I wasn't eating enough, up my calorie limit, and am now rarely hungry and have MUCH more energy. All while dropping weight still.

As for the "nurse" it's a hard thing to do, but don't let her knock you off the wagon. Stay with it and you'll get there. If you can, use her as motivation! Then when you hit your goal, schedule another visit and while she takes your blood pressure sock her in the face :drinker:
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options

I net about 1500-1700 calories a day. The fitbit makes adjustments for you so that you are not undereating. It is kind of a banking system per se.

Yeah, that does seem reasonable, which is good, but at the same time crappy because you still feel yucky. Perhaps play with your macros a bit and adjust your protein as recommended. One other thing that helped me was adjusting my eating times. When I started I did the whole "6 small meals" but as I progressed that method just did not work for me; I became obsessed with food and when I was going to eat next. I ended up opting for a loose version of Lean Gains where I fast for 14 hours and then have an eating window of 10 hours. For me, this allowed me to start having "real" meals again....big meals....that make me feel full and satisfied. I don't know if that would work for you, but maybe just something else to consider :smile:

ETA: Maybe it wouldn't hurt to just up your calories a tiny bit by like 100 calories or so? Your progress might be slower, but slower is better than none if you are living in a way that you aren't able to adhere to!
  • crubinetti
    Options

Did your doctor give a reason for exercise restriction other than your weight (i.e. joint issues, etc.)?

She said something to the effect of that isn't really what promotes weight loss. As Kat pointed out, weightloss happens in the kitchen. And I agree. I don't have joint problems etch. I exercise to augment and because I would be active if it were summer, I would just be doing other things like swimming at the lake or golfing.
  • ACDodd
    ACDodd Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I had a doctor like that once.
    I looked him in the eye and said you're fired.
    He didn't know what to do.
    He left and I got to see the doc that owned the practice.
    He was not happy with his junior partner.
    Call the office and make your displeasure known.
  • Rhonnie
    Rhonnie Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Most importantly - do not give her the power to make you quit! You have not failed until you quit. Make adjustments as you feel needed, complain to the Dr. office in the manner you wish, but do not let her take your power away, do not let an ugly person keep you from working towards being a happy and healthier YOU.
  • VelociMama
    Options

She said something to the effect of that isn't really what promotes weight loss. As Kat pointed out, weightloss happens in the kitchen. And I agree. I don't have joint problems etch. I exercise to augment and because I would be active if it were summer, I would just be doing other things like swimming at the lake or golfing.

I agree you can lose weight in the kitchen alone (weight loss is about calorie deficits in the end), but exercise has so many health benefits beyond just weight loss. People who regularly exercise are often able to maintain that weight loss as well easier than those who don't. Any doctor who discounts the benefits of regular exercise is not a doctor I would ever trust.

Definitely find another doctor and consult them about this. Sorry you had to go through such an ordeal. I've had horrible doctors in the past too say things that were just ridiculous.
  • crubinetti
    Options
    Follow the above advice on adjusting your protein intake. Like they said, 25-30% being protein is a much better amount. And even then, it's a minimum.

Out of curiosity, how did you determine what calorie amount to aim for? I wonder if you are undereating. I had a problem undereating and felt hungry/tired/crappy all the time. I reevaluated what I was doing, realized I wasn't eating enough, up my calorie limit, and am now rarely hungry and have MUCH more energy. All while dropping weight still.

As for the "nurse" it's a hard thing to do, but don't let her knock you off the wagon. Stay with it and you'll get there. If you can, use her as motivation! Then when you hit your goal, schedule another visit and while she takes your blood pressure sock her in the face :drinker:

I net about 1500-1700 calories a day. The fitbit makes adjustments for you so that you are not undereating. It is kind of a banking system per se. I didn't know about the macro adjustment ability till today and I think I will adjust it. I hate how it turns red when you go over when really, that is the most important part.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Give that douchenozzle a bad review on Angie's List and get a new doctor.
  • crubinetti
    Options
    Give that douchenozzle a bad review on Angie's List and get a new doctor.

:happy: Good idea!
  • Greg3705
    Greg3705 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    New Doctor. One with bedside manners. She does have a point about the protien. I gram for every pound of lean mass.