Running and knee arthritis...

Options
2»

Replies

• bugsbyte
    Options
    I too have OA in both knees and hips, and have been told by several non - running docs that my running days were over and that I should even limit my weight training. I find that running has reduced my pain significantly over the years by helping keep the weight off and adding stability with the built muscle. I had a fall a bit back and couldn't run due to knee pain. Had the MRI with similar results. So, I found myself an excellent personal trainer that had me doing knee strengthing exercises and got me back on the running trail. The other suggestion I would have is the supplement SAM-e. I can't tell you how much of a difference this had made in managing my OA pain with minimal side effects compared to heavy prescriptions with life impacting side effects. Best of luck to you!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    You may want to read the article referred to in this thread:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1074177-running-does-not-cause-arthritis

while it deals more with the issue of running being hard on joints there's a suggestion that running may actual promote a degree of recovery from certain type of arthritis.

Try working your way back in very gently, walk first and when you feel up to it perhaps some short, very slow runs.