Exercise Heartrate?

kcdrake
kcdrake Posts: 512
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
So, I was wondering what people's exercising heart rates are.
My resting, sitting on the couch heart rate is in the low 80s and my walking around casually heart rate is around 115. When I work out my heart rate shoots up to 220-ish.
The HRM I bought starts beeping after I go above 200 because apparently the percent is high and it doesn't think I should be working that hard.
Howeverrr... I don't feel like I am overexerting myself. And my casually walking around heart rate is what it wants my workout heart rate to be.

Should I just turn off the beeping and continue working out the way I am, or is this something I should actually pay attention to?

Replies

• sara_m83
    sara_m83 Posts: 545 Member
    220 is very very high. Have you ever consulted your GP about this?
  • I can't speak to your exact numbers, but I consult with my doctor regularly about my weight loss and exercise routine and she has told me that those are general guidelines and should be adjusted depnding on your resting heartrate and overall health. I have the opposite problem- my resting heartrate is between 45 and 50 bpm, so when I am really running hard I only get up to around 150 bm. I would say as a general rule, your body will let you know when you are doing too much- but consulting a professional is never a bad idea!
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Consulting a doctor may not be a bad idea. The formula is usually 220 - your age = your maximum heartrate.

For me at 22, I have a pretty healthy heart. My resting heart rate is around 55 bpm, when I run it is usually around 170-180 bpm. If I am doing high intensity workout it can get into the 190's. :smile:
  • kcdrake
    kcdrake Posts: 512
    After a little bit of research I'm thinking the treadmill could be interfering with my HRM. Because I really don't feel like I'm exerting enough to have my heart rate be that high.
    When I go for my outdoor run I'm going to monitor it more closely and see what it reads. I don't have the money to buy a new HRM if that's what it is. :(
This discussion has been closed.