Gaining muscle in my thighs but not losing the fat??

Options
Hey guys, I've been eating healthy and working out and losing weight in general- but I noticed my thighs are getting BIGGER ... I'd like to TONE them down and work on my butt too (don't we all?) any tips or advice on why they aren't getting smaller??

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you losing every week?
    How many inches on your thighs have you gained?
  • unicornhug
    unicornhug Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Im losing about 2 pounds a week. sometimes 3.. I haven't measured them- but they feel bulkier... it feels like Ive probably gained at least and inch all around :/
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Im losing about 2 pounds a week. sometimes 3.. I haven't measured them- but they feel bulkier... it feels like Ive probably gained at least and inch all around :/

Sometimes they look bigger but aren't. Start measuring, and always measure at the same place, same time of day.
  • BlueObsidian
    BlueObsidian Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Measure them today. Measure them again a month from now. It'll give you a much more precise idea of what your body is doing than just going by feeling.
  • tasson
    tasson Posts: 37
    Options
    The measuring tape not the mirror is your friend.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    It is HIGHLY unlikely that you are losing 2-3 pounds a week and gaining thigh muscle. Our bodies are generally either in a gaining or losing mode, depending whether you are at a caloric deficit or not. Generally people talk about lifting weights to maintain muscle while losing fat on a deficit. You might not be losing fat on your thighs, though. Unfortunately, our bodies chose what fat to burn.

What is your workout?
  • carrieous
    carrieous Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I've found fat loss and muscle build happens in tandem. Youre building muscle while also burning fat. What kind of work are you doing on your legs? I've found that for me running and stairclimbing is most effective.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Keep working out I'm sure ur new muscular thighs look good! If ur really worried, change ur workout routine. Some exercise are better at building thigh muscles then other like the stationary bike and squats. However, you might just not be consistent w where ur measuring on your thigh. Hope that helps and good luck!

Edit: by better at I mean they tend to build more muscular thighs. If you want skinner thighs they might not be the best choice for you! Good luck!
  • unicornhug
    Options
  • unicornhug
    Options
    Thanks!
  • unicornhug
    Options
    I'm doing 30-40 minutes of cardio in the morning and 15-20 minutes of strength exercises... including squats, chair sits, leg lifts... sit ups... and some arm work..
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've found fat loss and muscle build happens in tandem. Youre building muscle while also burning fat. What kind of work are you doing on your legs? I've found that for me running and stairclimbing is most effective.

:noway:
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Are you using weights with the strength exercise?

What someone else said above about measuring is absolutely right. Measure yourself today and measure yourself a month from now. That's the most accurate gauge of your progress!

If you wanna burn fat and gain muscle, you have to lift heavy. Muscle burns fat, period. Body weight exercises and light weights only build muscular endurance, not actual muscle. The light weights for women, blah blah blah, is a myth I bought into for years and no matter how hard I worked, I didn't get the results I wanted until I found ChaLEAN Extreme and learned about lifting HEAVY to burn fat.

Look at my profile picture. Same weight in before/after, but i"m a whole lot leaner and smaller in the after, aren't I? Heavy lifting, baby!

Friend me if you'd like some help! :)
  • unicornhug
    Options

What someone else said above about measuring is absolutely right. Measure yourself today and measure yourself a month from now. That's the most accurate gauge of your progress!

If you wanna burn fat and gain muscle, you have to lift heavy. Muscle burns fat, period. Body weight exercises and light weights only build muscular endurance, not actual muscle. The light weights for women, blah blah blah, is a myth I bought into for years and no matter how hard I worked, I didn't get the results I wanted until I found ChaLEAN Extreme and learned about lifting HEAVY to burn fat.

Look at my profile picture. Same weight in before/after, but i"m a whole lot leaner and smaller in the after, aren't I? Heavy lifting, baby!

Thats AMAZING you look really good- I'm a newbie in the world of fitness.. im not sure what I really want- Id like to tone wayyy down for sure though :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

With heavy lifting, what constitutes as heavy for a woman? I've been strength training with 15 lbs. I really feel the burn with that weight and will be adding another 5 lbs to it in a couple of weeks. It's an adjustable dumbbell, with 25 lbs as the maximum.
  • LisaGirlfriend
    LisaGirlfriend Posts: 493 Member
    Options

With heavy lifting, what constitutes as heavy for a woman? I've been strength training with 15 lbs. I really feel the burn with that weight and will be adding another 5 lbs to it in a couple of weeks. It's an adjustable dumbbell, with 25 lbs as the maximum.

Heavy is as much as you can handle and be able to do a small number of reps (5-12) at a time. You should be able to increase weights (in small increments) as you build strength. Keep adding weights and you'll be lifting heavy in no time. Stronglifts 5x5 or New Rules of lifting for Women are all good weight lifting programs. I'm going to try ChaLean Extreme as Robyn mentions.
  • spazofthedead
    spazofthedead Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Heavy is relative. For instance, what feels heavy now (15lbs) might be nothing to you in a month or so if you keep going and pushing yourself. For instance, when I first started, a 45lb "bar only" squat just about killed me. Now I can squat 150lbs with relative ease. It's all about personal history and perspective. :) Keep going!

And @OP, I think it's been pretty well covered already, but if you keep measurements and your diet is in check, you should be losing inches.
  • lcuconley
    lcuconley Posts: 734 Member
    Options

Nope, what happens is that you lose fat to reveal the muscle underneath. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, particularly one to lose 2-3 pounds a week, you are not going to gain muscle. Also, the routine that the OP described is not one that will build muscle, particularly in women.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    what type of measuring system is "feels like" again? and what's the conversion between that and inches?