Going over protein?

Options
Is it bad to get TOO MUCH protein? I'm about 25 grams over on protein today, but only about 50 calories over. I'm not habitually over protein, but would it be bad if I were?

Replies

• Cese27
    Cese27 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Nothing to worry about at all,are you training or just dieting
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Both. I'm trying to lose fat while putting on muscle.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    MFP sets the protein goal too low anyway. Don't worry about it, you're fine.
  • MacInCali
    MacInCali Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Your protein goal is set to 54g a day ... I had that for lunch alone, you're fine, trust me. :wink:
  • Cese27
    Options
    It's near impossible to lose fat and put on muscle at the same time,to lose fat you need to be eating at a deficit and to put on muscle you need to be eating at a surplus
  • slcostel
    slcostel Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    It's near impossible to lose fat and put on muscle at the same time,to lose fat you need to be eating at a deficit and to put on muscle you need to be eating at a surplus

Well, girly muscles, muscles that I should have been using and wasn't. Not bulk. How is it impossible to burn fat and build muscle? I thought that's pretty much what exercise is?
  • Cese27
    Options
    Regardless girls muscles or boys muscle you need to consume more calories than you need to build them and if you have more calories than you need sadly the byproduct of that is you put on some fat,the flip side is you can only burn fat at a calorie deficit,catch 22really.think of it like when body builders bulk and cut bulk=more calories to put on mass then the cut to cut the fat they put on whilst bulking and I know you're not interested in been a bodybuilder but the process is the same
  • littlehealthyhope
    littlehealthyhope Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    protein is GOOD for you! but make sure you get enough carbs too :)
  • clemson20
    Options
    I have the same issue. I have been going over my protein intake. What are some ways to cut back on protein? I have been on a 1200 calorie diet. I am trying to maintain at 138 pounds now. I was put on an 1800 calorie diet to maintain. What would be a caloric breakdown for meals and snacks?
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    protein is GOOD for you! but make sure you get enough carbs too :)
    Carbs are optional
  • Scrimples
    Options
    Over protein isn't bad as long as that isn't all you are taking in. If you are eating nearly nothing except meat, eggs, cheese, and no veggies or fruit you might want to rethink that. Even on low carb high protein diets they want you to still eat veggies. In fact, that is typically where you do get the carbs you eat on a low carb high protein diet. You need the vitamins and minerals. You also need the veggies for fiber, especially after eating all that meat. Though if you are getting some of that protein from beans you will be getting fiber too. It is better to go over in protein than in carbs or sugar no doubt, as that is all to often due to eating too many refined carbs and sugar. Nutritionally not great options as they are just going to spike your blood sugar and not fill you up and give you staying power. If you aren't worried about carbs and sugar plenty can be had from healthier options like beans, veggies, fruit, nuts, oats, and a lot more.