Protein or preworkout shakes?

SO my brother has a whole collection of pre and post workout supplements and shakes and he says I need to start some..
but i'm not sure what i should try, because he's not very good at explaining what there for.
Do you have any that you suggest, or can tell me about in a dumbed down version.

I'm not body building I do a lot of cardio, just trying to loose weight.

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    You don't need supplements and protein shakes unless you're following a progressive, HEAVY weight lifting program. Many of them are just marketing gimmicks anyway and do not provide any real benefit to you. Eat healthy foods, drink plenty of water, get enough sleep and you're golden!
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    don't need any supplement, that's why they're called supplements and not necessities.
  • Docmahi
    Docmahi Posts: 1,603 Member
    preworkouts are mainly just a mishmash of stimulants, some creatine or beta alanine - I usually just take caffeine pills to the same effect, you dont need them I only use them on days where I have big lifts and im tired from a call shift or something

postworkout protein - protein powder is just food replacement IDC what anyone tries to tell you - only take it if you feel like you need more protein in your diet.

supplements are totally unnecessary - you can buy a 4 dollar bottle of caffeine and it will work wonders
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Pre work out supplements are as another poster says, stimulants. And furthermore, there are often concerns about their safety, especially if you might have some sort of undiagnosed health condition. Best to just stick with caffeine in moderate amounts.

As for protein supplements, if you are having trouble staying in range of your calorie consumption goals, I'd avoid them, many people feel that they aren't as effectively satiating as real foods. If on the other hand, you find yourself consistently under your caloric goals, and particularly under protein targets, they are a convenient supplementary way to meet your goals.

Strictly speaking though, you don't NEED them and I certainly wouldn't advocate replacing real food with them.