Working out with HRMs:

Options
I got my Polar ft7 in the mail today (yippee!) and I am planning to work out tonight. Generally, I run on the treadmill for 10 minutes, then do strength training on machines and maybe some pilates.

What is the best way to log this on the HRM? Should I make each activity a seperate workout, or leave it running the entire time and get an average?

Those with Polar HRMs (assuming they have the same general setup), how do you seperate everything out? Or do you?

Thanks for any suggestions!

:glasses:

Replies

• runninpal
    Options
    With mine, I keep it running. That way i know my whole workout burn. Then i log it.
  • MightyDomo
    MightyDomo Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    If you do it one after the other (immediate routine change-over) then log it as one, why add more time than you need to. If you take time in-between long enough to log them separately then do it separate.

Also congrats on your new HRM!
  • TigvaDraga
    TigvaDraga Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have made separate exercises for each different activity. That way I know where I am at with each one. If it is one big long time of several different ones, you won't know when you need to start pushing yourself further. Like last night and today I did arms, same video same weight, and I noticed I may need to either bulk up my weight or do more reps, there was a 75 calorie difference from last night to today, and the whole week has been the same way, progressively getting down in calories from the same exercise. So I have different categories and it works well for me. You can also just use what the activity is call and delete the calories burned and put your own in, some say that is easier to do. Good luck and congrats! Have a HRM is so much more fun to work out with!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I separate the running from the weights, but that's just the way I do it. I'm looking to hit a certain range in my intervals (and I track it) so I wouldn't want to glom it all together. But if you are just looking for the total burn, keeping it together sounds alright. Do whatever works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • MikeInAZ
    MikeInAZ Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I just leave it running. I log it as a total workout. You can stop and start it it will log them as different sessions but it's kind of a pain to have to keep entering them into MFP.
  • kiddoc88
    kiddoc88 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    my tips-
    I don;t log strength, burn is different and minimal when your'e only activating one muscle group at a time(there are other threads about this)
    -i log each activity separately, or 2 reasons; heart rate is slightly down in between and I want to get and idea of cal/he burned for each type of activity
    - make sure to wet the strap
    - be careful with yoga if you do it.. I find that if i'm not careful, cobra pose pushes the transmitter into my sternum and makes it sore
    - have a blast with your new gadget! I love my ft4!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you should read the instruction manual. most of your questions will be answered there.
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    you should read the instruction manual. most of your questions will be answered there.

Luckily I know how to use the device. Was really looking for suggestions, as there are many ways to do something 'right'.

Thanks for everyone's input. Now that I've got some suggestions, I think I'll log them seperatley.

:drinker:
  • Ari112233
    Ari112233 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I keep it running. Usually my heart rate is up in between. If I have a long break I might pause. I log it as a single workout to track the burn
  • altinker
    altinker Posts: 173
    Options
    I keep mine running the whole time I work out. I even leave it running if I finish an aerobic workout and am still in the aerobic range while I walk around the house or jump on a rebounder for a few minutes until my heart rate drops to warmup range. I love mine because if I finish a one hour workout and am at 466, I'll stay active until I've burned 500 calories.

Today, I was in a rush and did a 25 minute workout. I had to stop and rush around to do some quick chores before I left. I stayed up in the aerobic range for the next 10 minutes until I finally had to change. It motivates me to push out some extra activity. I love mine!
  • jaimrlx
    jaimrlx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I keep mine running the whole time I work out. I even leave it running if I finish an aerobic workout and am still in the aerobic range while I walk around the house or jump on a rebounder for a few minutes until my heart rate drops to warmup range. I love mine because if I finish a one hour workout and am at 466, I'll stay active until I've burned 500 calories.

Today, I was in a rush and did a 25 minute workout. I had to stop and rush around to do some quick chores before I left. I stayed up in the aerobic range for the next 10 minutes until I finally had to change. It motivates me to push out some extra activity. I love mine!

I had one awhile back that I never used, so I gave it away. I can't remember what it was. I love them too! What a great motivator, keep up the good work as well!
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I keep mine running to get a true idea of my total calories burned. It wont make that much of a difference to start and stop, just with the limited time most have to work out I just keep it rolling. I use other apps to track my separate activities of cardio versus strength as it gives me more info on my strength training progress and if I am making any strides or not. The HRM wont do that, but can be fun for strength training as it will be a good motivator to keep a good pace so you will still burn cals while adding the benefits of lifting.