soda replacements

emtink
emtink Posts: 387 Member
i was raised on coca-cola, and i've tried really hard to kick soda. i'm doing pretty good, cuz i found crystal geyser flavored mineral water. no calories and its carbonated! i like them a lot, but i'm also trying to drink less bottled water (trying to reduce my carbon footprint blah blah blah). anyone have any suggestions on soda replacements that aren't in tiny bottles or cans?

Replies

• emtink
    i was raised on coca-cola, and i've tried really hard to kick soda. i'm doing pretty good, cuz i found crystal geyser flavored mineral water. no calories and its carbonated! i like them a lot, but i'm also trying to drink less bottled water (trying to reduce my carbon footprint blah blah blah). anyone have any suggestions on soda replacements that aren't in tiny bottles or cans?
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    I am not sure if you are looking for something specifically cabonated but what I have enjoyed drinking is water that has a bit of lemon, lime or whatever type of juice you like. If it needs to be a little sweeter I use agava nectar to sweeten it. It isn't bad on calories and its a nice change from the normal. I also drink teas.
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Greetings!

I'm in love with Celestial Seasonings, "Bengal Spice" herbal tea...it is naturally sweet and cinnamony...it has 0 calories...it is delicious hot or cold...it hydrates and my skin doesn't look so old and leathery when I drink it!

I have trouble finding it in stores so I buy it by the case directly from:

www.celestialseasonings.com
  • emtink
    i love bengal spice too! you're right, it is hard to find. i've never tried it cold though. i also like eve's idea of added a little bit of juice to water. thanks ladies!
  • Sewards7106
    Sewards7106 Posts: 2 Member
    Try the Crystal Light packets and mix them with a glass of water! They have a lot of flavors so it's hard to get sick of them!
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    I find all the Celestial Seasonings tea make good iced beverages - Red Zinger is a good base, to which you can add Lemon Zinger, or Green Tea... sweeten with honey, or stevia, or they are really great on their own! I often have a pitcher made in the fridge ready to go.

What about a nice pitcher of flavoured water - you know how spas always have lime water, or cucumber water? That might be something to try... (or do they taste better when at the spa, and less appealing when in ones own kitchen... hmmm...)
    :flowerforyou:
  • winwin
    winwin Posts: 134 Member
    crystal light for me. The peach iced tea is nice and I don't normally like iced tea.lol
  • walnut
    walnut Posts: 216 Member
    You can get sparkling mineral waters like Perrier or Gerolsteiner in larger glass bottles. Try a natural foods co-op if you're not finding it at a regular grocery.
  • I have been drinking tea or water. I make a gallon jug of Lipton tea (big bag) flavored with a small peach tea bag. Just a hint of flavor.

I am trying to cut back on even diet sodas because the more I read our brain is still thinking it is taking in sugar triggering the insulin in our systems. So diet sodas actually hurt they don't help. (I have cut back from 5-6 a day to 2 and hopefully by summer be completely off sodas)

I also love water with lemon. I keep a bottle of lemon juice in the fridge so I can fill a glass with tap water and ice with a little flavor of lemon.

Good Luck!

LtSoccerMom
  • GingerKid
    GingerKid Posts: 86
    I've recently really ramped up my water intake. Which reduced my diet cola intake! LOL

One thing that is yummy is Safeway (Von's, etc) flavored sparkling waters. My kids LOVE them...they come in TONS of flavors. Our favs are black cherry and a watermelon kiwi...
  • GingerKid
    GingerKid Posts: 86
    I've recently really ramped up my water intake. Which reduced my diet cola intake! LOL

One thing that is yummy is Safeway (Von's, etc) flavored sparkling waters. My kids LOVE them...they come in TONS of flavors. Our favs are black cherry and a watermelon kiwi...
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Try one of those water fiters they make that adds flavor to your tap water :)
  • pete
    pete Posts: 76 Member
    How about making your own soda at home? http://www.sodaclubusa.com/default.htm
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    How about making your own soda at home?

I have done that too, it does work pretty good. The biggest thing is finding a sweetner that you like in it. I personally do not use artificial sweetners. But have recently started using the agava nectar and love it. It doesn't upset my stomach like stevia so that might work. There are tones of flavors you can do with that though and a great idea for those who like soda.
  • KLB530
    KLB530 Posts: 11
    eventhough they are in a can....

My favorite product right now is XS energy drinks. They only have 8 CALORIES for a WHOLE can!! NO SUGAR OR CARBS either! There are 10 different flavors. The black cherry cola tastes just like how it reads, like soda!. I kept staring at the label in SHOCK when I drank my first one!! Let me tell ya, they are AMAZING!!!! If you are interested check out our personal website below where you can purchase them and they are mailed right to your door!!! I couldn't keep this to myself!

bbartolini.qhealthbeauty.com
  • emtink
    thanks for all of the great suggestions! i should have excuse for going back to soda now.