What's your average mile pace?

Options
When I used to run, I would be really self-consious because, well, I guess I'm a pretty slow runner. I ran once at the tracks on campus, but one girl pointed out that she could practically speed walk and be doing the same thing. I average an 11 minute pace. I know I'm slow, but I'm able to run for a long time without stopping (an hour...is that considered long for you runners??). Is slow and steady okay? Or should I speed things up?

Replies

• ValerieMomof2
    ValerieMomof2 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? If you are content and happy, then slow and steady is fine. If you are wanting to set goals for time or increase your calorie burn, then I would change things up with intervals or speed work. When I started, I was also at 11 and was perfectly happy. I just decided I wanted to keep up with my running group a little better and started setting goals for doing so. Don't let anyone else tell you it's too slow. Like I have seen written many times "You are still lapping all those on the couch ;)"
  • ylor89
    ylor89 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I don't really have a goal in mind...maybe run a marathon someday? I hear slow and steady is good for that so maybe I'll just stick with the 11 minute pace. Thanks! :)
  • jjlibunao
    Options
    What are your goals? If you are content and happy, then slow and steady is fine. If you are wanting to set goals for time or increase your calorie burn, then I would change things up with intervals or speed work. When I started, I was also at 11 and was perfectly happy. I just decided I wanted to keep up with my running group a little better and started setting goals for doing so. Don't let anyone else tell you it's too slow. Like I have seen written many times "You are still lapping all those on the couch ;)"

I agree with ValerieMomof2. It's about YOUR comfort level. Don't even worry if you're slower than other runners. I ran my first half marathon in 2:06 which was a 9:36 pace. During the entire race, I was completely stressed out because I was so focused on finishing fast, non-stop with no breaks. And I remember I was zooming past people, annoyed because (in my mind) "they were slow and in my way." LOL If you like to challenge yourself and set goals, that's one thing. But when it becomes stressful and not enjoyable, your whole run changes.

The times on my next four half marathons range from anywhere from 10:30 to 11:45. It really depends on how I feel that day. Like If the weather is really hot (like 80 degrees), I'll run slower, stop at every water station, and talk walk breaks. I no longer put the pressure myself. I just know, I want to get a half done around 2:30 at the very latest. And now, running races is fun and more relaxed.

BTW - running for an hour at 11 minute pace is a good distance! Have you considered doing a 10K, 12K or a half?
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Pace depends on your comfort level and the length of the run. For me, I'm a slowpoke - if I'm only running a 5K, my fastest pace has been an 11:21 mile. For my half marathon it was a 12:38 pace. When I run for an hour it's usually 12-12:30. That's where I'm comfortable and I started with a 14 pace. So, where is YOUR comfort zone?
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    11 to 13 depending on the distance. One particularly difficult 10.5 miler I averaged 14. I'm slow but so what? I'm out there and burning a boatload of calories.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    No idea, not been running long(about 2-3 weeks), but my fastest 5k was 24 minutes 33 seconds. (mind, that was on a treadmill)
  • Hbazzell
    Hbazzell Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    12 when I am just going for a regular jog and just under 10 when I have to run for work PT tests. I train more before my tests and get faster. I think speed comes with time. My goal is 8 minute mile.
  • faceoff4
    faceoff4 Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    everyone is different and you should be happy as long as you are progressing your pace and reaching towards your goals. I am tall and have a long stride and have been running on and off for years and most of the time I run sub 8 to mid 8 miles for 5 mile runs or less. I have a blessed cardio, but again its not apples to apples between people so please dont get discouraged when you see others have better paces. As long as you feel you are happy with your pace, are making the increases you want and striving towards your goals you are doing great! Remember a huge % of people in the world's main form of exercise is going from the couch to the fridge...so you are doing great by getting out there!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    You want slow. Stick with the pace that's comfortable while you build a base of endurance. Once you have your endurance, then you can focus on paring down your pace with speed intervals, tempo runs, etc. But if you're a beginner, don't worry about speed at all- getting the endurance first is the important part for building a successful running program. Speed will also naturally improve as you become a stronger runner.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    she can run for an hour. How much more endurance should she build? Pick up the pace as you can. Not for nothing, but 11 minute miles isn't that slow. Not at all.
  • kms1320
    kms1320 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    My last Army PT test (we run 2 miles) my total was 14:41...

so about a 7:21 mile pace.

I don't know if I could have kept it up for a 5k distance, maybe. I haven't timed since then, I'm sure I'm a little slower now.

edit: I ran with the slow group. 15:10 was failing for my age group. We had a couple guys in the company run near 11 flat. That's pretty damn fast!
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I am super s l o w. my walking pace is almost as fast as my running pace.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    she can run for an hour. How much more endurance should she build? Pick up the pace as you can. Not for nothing, but 11 minute miles isn't that slow. Not at all.

Ohhh, I missed that. My bad.

OP If you can run for an hour, and you want to go faster, you can start incorporating some longer intervals. I apologize for missing that point in your post. If you want to keep that length, what I would do is one long run a week, probably on the weekend, at a comfortable pace for you (whatever that is- the long run pace isn't important), and then at least one tempo run ~5k, and then maybe consider using an interval program like C25K during the week, but instead of run/walk do it at like a 5.0/6.0 pace to start (12 min mile/10 min mile). That will help you build your speed.

But, 11 mpm is a perfectly fine pace. You're doing great!
  • SpleenThief
    SpleenThief Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Slow and fast are relative terms. My marathon PR is 3:42. Is that fast? Compared to some. If Meb ever ran a 3:42 he would weep.

Question - what are your goals? Is this strictly a fitness thing or are you looking to race?
  • sjlapins
    sjlapins Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I am between 11.5 and 12. Depends on my distance and where I am running. I try not to worry what others think about me being a "slow" runner as I feel like it is better than not running at all. :)
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about your pace!! I've been running for a year, and started well over 12 or 13, but now my fastest is a 5K in 26:36 (ab 8:45 per mile). My normal easy training pace is 10 minutes or up. In fact, I just recently slowed down my pace on purpose to work more on my aerobic base - trying to keep my heart rate under 138 to train my body to burn fats. Eventually I will add in more speed work. That translates to about 10:35 per mile for 3 miles, or over 11 minutes per mile for longer distances. The idea to is get faster while keeping your heart rate in the aerobic zone - really will help increase my endurance even more. I have run a couple halfs, and am up to 11 mile runs on the weekends.

Running for an hour is awesome! You should definitely look into 10K or above races. They are a lot of fun. My first half I ran at a 11:46 avg pace - plenty of walking in there, since I had cramping that day.

Oh - and when I see a "slow" runner - I assume they are running FAR!
  • dqgirl1
    dqgirl1 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am not a fast runner....I have very short legs and despite me running "all out" I will never see a 7/8 minute mile........I look at it as whats good for me.......as long as my heart rate is up and Im hauling *kitten* then I just go with it;)
  • gabegrammy
    gabegrammy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I walk on treadmill and I pace 2.7. with about 20 mins at 2.9. I want to run but seems I get winded before 2 mins. so I working to reach 5 min run at 4.
    Viki
  • foxys_mum
    foxys_mum Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    11 would be great! I am more like12 to 13,
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I seem to be a 10 min mile regardless of the distance.... 1 mile or 11miles, the pace rarely varies more than a few seconds/mile.