25 pieces? 55 grams? Same calories? Different sizes?

Options
Hi, so quite frequently I find myself in this predicament: I'll be reading the serving size of something, and the weight is different than the serving size. For example, today as I was looking at my new box of Frosted Mini Wheats cereal, the serving size was 25 pieces. Simple enough, I dared to assume, counting out twenty-five of them. However, curiosity then overcame me and I had the urge to weigh it as well. For the 25 pieces the box had in parenthesis "55g". I then discovered the 25 mini wheats were almost DOUBLE that weight.
What I'm getting at here, is if the serving size and serving weight contradict each other, which do you usually follow? I always chose weight over a standard of measurement (like a cup, since different people measure things slightly differently). But 25 pieces is really specific, how could the weight of that be so different? I run into these scenarios all the time; it's starting to really drive me insane! I'm trying to maintain, so I hate guessing too much, for that could either make me gain more than I want or lose more than I want. I just want balance. Ughh. .-.

Replies

• coriella
    Options
    I always follow the weight in grams when eating packaged food.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,976 Member
    Options
    Go by the scale weight. No manufacturing process is perfect.
  • jdforshort
    jdforshort Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    Weigh, weigh weigh in grams! Except Almonds but only when I am using 5 or 6 as they vary very little! I just don't trust the "cup" measurements other than for liquid. I weigh yogurt, berries, fruits, ice cream, nuts, cereals etc.
  • WAHMto5
    WAHMto5 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I always try to go by the weight as well.
  • worldsbestauntie
    worldsbestauntie Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Found the answer I was looking for! I was wondering the same thing with my fries. It says 40 fries (85g). I've always counted 40. I've always counted 40 as I didn't have scales. Tonight I had some fries and it was the first time since I bought scales. I think I ended up with half the amount! Definitely go to weigh for now own.

Side on on fries - What would count was ONE fry anyway? Seeing how you can have some little bitty ones, some medium ones, and some large ones. Do you go by the medium ones, so the little bitty ones would be 1/2 a fry and the large ones 2? (Though one day last week I took ALL large ones and counted them as 40!)