Does the amount of sleep you get affect weight loss/gain?

Options
I have an 8 month old daughter who still has trouble sleeping through the night. Therefore, I may get to sleep from about 10:30 to 4AM, but after that I am up. Some nights, I may be up 3-4 times. Needless to say, my sleep isn't the greatest. I was wondering, will this impact my ability to lose weight?

Pass along any insight you have.
Thanks!!

Replies

• AlyssaC2010
    AlyssaC2010 Posts: 100
    Options
    Yes, it can make you gain weight or maintain the current weight you're at. There were studies done showing if you get little sleep you'll feel hungrier through the day. Here's the article if you want to look: http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2004-12-06-sleep-weight-gain_x.htm
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    The holy trinity of health is: sleep diet and exercise. It will make it harder to lose weight, so you HAVE to sneak catnaps in whenever you can. But just because it's harder doesn't mean you should give up until the kid is in college!!!
  • BetterVersion
    Options
    I've always noticed a decrease in weight loss whenever I'm going through sleepless periods.
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    I have not had one full sleep in 4 years. My 4 year old still wakes up! My 2 year old is potty training, so she's waking up to use the toilet at night.
    I've been trying to lose the same 50 pounds for 3 years now.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    A recent study done (I would have to go find it, my wife's endocrinologist told us) showed that mothers with newborns who get less than 4 hours of continuous sleep at night had a far harder time losing the baby weight than mothers who did get 4 hours sleep continuous.

4 hours seems to be the sweet spot, it allows your body to enter deep sleep, where all the repair and rejuvination stuff happens, anything shorter than that and it's not long enough for the body to do what needs to be done.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    I don't know the science behind it, just personal experience. For me, I sleep 5 hours a night 6 nights a week. I found that being up 19 hours a day meant more time for eating. Also, I found that I was eating trying to keep myself awake. But I found a solution for ME. I plan my day out ahead of time, pack my mini meals with good protein and healthy sugars (like fruits and vegetables), have a cutoff time of 7:30 at night, drinks tons of water. And when I find myself wanting to munch in the afternoon, then I lay down for about 20 minutes to 2 hours depending on my allowance. I've finally started losing weight. When you are on a schedule that is beyond your control, then you can learn to control yourself. Oh yeah, I started journaling my thoughts and feelings when I find myself starting to munch and it helps me to clear my head and realize that I'm not really hungry most of the time.
  • cmurphy04722
    Options
    3 1/2-4 hours is the sweet spot. I have had insomnia from prescription pain killers over the years (migraines) and all of my PC doctors, neurologists, etc. have told me the same thing about sleep: if you are going to get less than 3 hours, you should just stay awake. Thoughts on napping varied, but for a night's sleep, we really need to go through the full sleep cycle and that requires at minimum 3 hours-usually about 4 though. Sleep deprivation will do crazy things to your body, and will certainly throw off your metabolism. I know it's hard in your situation, but sleep for your health!
  • mvl1014
    mvl1014 Posts: 531
    Options
    ...Thoughts on napping varied, but for a night's sleep, we really need to go through the full sleep cycle and that requires at minimum 3 hours-usually about 4 though....
    hehe that's what I meant by catnap! lol
  • nyy03
    nyy03 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I don't know your situation but is it possible for hubby to get up once in awhile to feed your little one? Try to pump some breast milk, if breast feeding, and store it for him to feed little one. I know our husbands work, but our day is work too. It wouldn't hurt him to have at least one night of restless sleep. I know, easier said than done. Good luck.