Lost 8 lbs this week

Options
So I think I am doing this wrong... I just had a baby two and half weeks ago and am breastfeeding. I wanted to start loosing weight so I cut my calories down to 1800 which is 1200 plus 500 for breastfeeding and I lost 8 lbs this week. That doesn't seem healthy to me. What could have caused this? I don't want to lose too quickly because I don't want a bunch of extra skin from quick weight loss. Will the loss slow down now? Should I increase my calories or was it just extra water weight maybe from giving birth so recently. Not really sure what to do at this point, but I would rather a couple extra pounds as opposed to folds of extra skin :s

Replies

• anotherCDN
    Options
    Weight loss in the first 6 weeks post-partum can be very rapid.
    That said, I believe most doctors don't recommend dieting until after those 6 weeks: have you talked to yours?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    That calorie intake seems low to me. However, since you are breast feeding and don't want your milk supply to dry up (it will if you consume too few calories), I'd speak to a professional about how many calories you should be eating. Either your doctor or if there is a nutritionist/breastfeeding professional you have access to.
  • seangunner
    Options
    After one week I wouldn't worry. A lot of people have a big weight loss the first week of a diet. Also, breast feeding aids in weight loss. Now if you about the same amount next week then maybe consider increasing calories. Your 2nd week should be low. 2-3 lbs
  • tpittsley77
    tpittsley77 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Such a new baby, it can be many things. I strongly suggest eating more. You are in the early stages of breast feeding. Your body hasn't adjusted to it yet. If you don't eat enough, you will dry up. I breast fed my baby, and when I cut my calories too low, that's what happened. You should research BMR and tdee. Calculate your tdee. Eat at that level. To lose weight, everyone says eat tdee-20%. The breast feeding will easily account for the 20% calorie reduction. Scoobysworkshop is a good site for calculations. Good luck!
  • misssmarita
    Options
    You should really talk to your doctor about this, and since your diary isn't open, I can't really comment on whether or not I think you're eating the right things, but it could be that since you're busy (assume you are) you don't have as much time to eat as you used to. Also, breastfeeding burns a crapload of calories, that could have a lot to do with it. Or you could be weighing in wrong (scale should be on a hard and even surface). Instead of questioning whether or not your weight loss is healthy, I would question your habits. Are you eating the right things? Are you eating until you're full? Are you drinking enough water, getting enough sleep?

GOOD LUCK!