Wheat Free Menu ideas?

Options
sonjavon
sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
My sister in law has celiac and for a couple of years now has told me that I should go get tested because of the stomach cramps that I sometimes get. As a rule, I generally try to stay lower carb because of my PCOS and insulin resistance.

It seems like my stomach upset had gotten worse since I started eating healthier. I'll go a couple of days where I "go" regularly - then it stops... for a couple days - then I end up with diarhea. After reading another post last night on wheat-free eating, I went back in my food diary and found that the stomach problems happen after I've had a higher amount of wheat.... and I'm also very, very tired after those days. So... I'm going to try wheat-free for a couple weeks and see what happens... but I need help.

Can someone who eats wheat-free give me some ideas of what your daily eating looks like? Obviously no bread, crackers, etc... but what do you generally eat on a day to day basis? Any help would be appreciated! Going to the grocery store tonight!

Replies

• ilovemybabies2020
    ilovemybabies2020 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am allergic to a lot of food. But here are some ideas.

B- (Not all of this at once lol)
    Fresh fruit
    Piece of sausage
    Poached eggs
    I am allergic to dairy but you could have a yogurt and fruit smoothie etc too

L-
    Salad with any of the following: Cucumbers, tomatoes, onions, bacon, chicken, avacado, tuna,
    OR
    Thai kitchen rice noodle bowl
    OR
    Ham roll ups and veggies
    OR
    Baked potato and veggies
    OR
    Rice with garbanzo beans

Dinner:
    Rice
    Potatoes
    Or Gluten free pasta
    Chicken
    Steak
    Beef
    Fish etc
    Lots of veggies
    I make a taco lasagna using corn tortilla shells as they don't have wheat in them

Things like that. :)

Snacks are:
    Fresh fruit
    Veggies
    V8
    Popcorn
    Tortilla chips

Hope this helps some.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If you go to your local health food store, or even grocery store (usually in the health foods section), there are not LOTS of gluten-free and wheat-free products. I'm allergic to wheat (not gluten), and I eat GF stuff all the time.

- Corn Flakes/Rice Crispies/gluten-free cereals
    - If you're baking, substitute a half and half mix of rice flour and tapioca flour in exchange for any wheat flours. I do this for pancakes/muffins/cookies/everything!
    - I order GF bread from a local bakery, and there are a lot of different breads (corn, potato...) out there. Usually in the frozen section. I used to eat them, but they're expensive and low quality in my experience. Looking for a bakery is my best advice to you.
    - Avoid oatmeal and rye: they usually have gluten in them, unless they specify GF on the package.

There are tons of GF recipe sites online. Google "gluten-free recipes" or get specific: "gluten-free lasagna", "gluten-free pizza crust", "gluten-free bread".
  • ellenzab
    ellenzab Posts: 5
    Options
    Good for you for figuring this out! My husband has a wheat intolerance and avoids wheat and wheat gluten. However, he can tolerate spelt just fine. (Spelt is a 'cousin' of wheat and SOME people who are sensitive to wheat can eat it with no problems. However, if you truly have celiac disease, it's not an option. Something to think about for later, when you figure things out and get tested. If you can tolerate spelt, it's great...you can buy spelt flour and it actually acts like wheat flour in baking, unlike rice flour, soy flour, etc, so you can use it to make cookies, breads etc....also, products made with spelt actually taste 'normal,' unlike most gluten-free products.) Anyhoo...
    As far as gluten-free substitutes for the real thing, Tinkyada pastas are amazing. Made from rice, they cook up to a reasonable facsimile of 'real' pasta. Most grocery stores are now carrying them!
  • coronalime
    coronalime Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I am celiac:
    Breakfast: 1 egg, 1/2 cup egg beaters and laughing cow wedge
    Snack: yogurt, mozz cheese stick, Gluten free granola bar etc..
    Lunch: salads with a protein: today is left over pork tenderloin. we do quinoa, brown rice, lentils etc alot
    snack: apple/peanut butter
    Dinner: protein and a veggie
    snack: riccotta cheese (fat free) with a little peanut butter, GF crackers with cheese or peanut butter, popcorn etc..

Watch all dressings, marinades etc..If its in a box or bottle beware!

I wrap alot of stuff in lettuce for sandwiches. Use spaghetti squash as a pasta even though they do make GF noodles i just dont like them.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    Try some recipes using quinoa. It's a wonderful "grain" that's gluten free and high protein. It's technically not a grain, but looks and tastes like one. It's almost like cous cous and can be substituted for it. There are also pastas made out of quinoa too. If you do a search online for quinoa recipes you will find a ton. There's one on the whole foods website that's great, with cashews and broccoli. And I would advise you to be sure to eat enough fiber. Sometimes when people go gluten-free, they end up eating less fiber because they were getting fiber from whole grains.

One other thing...some people who are gluten intolerant, but not exactly celiac can do sprouted grain products (the Ezekiel brand is very good and all sprouted grains). I think they're really tasty.
  • Steph_135
    Steph_135 Posts: 3,280 Member
    Options
    If you can tolerate spelt, it's great...you can buy spelt flour and it actually acts like wheat flour in baking, unlike rice flour, soy flour, etc, so you can use it to make cookies, breads etc....also, products made with spelt actually taste 'normal,' unlike most gluten-free products.)
    This is from wiki: "[Spelt] contains a moderate amount of gluten [...]

Spelt is closely related to common wheat and is not suitable for people with coeliac disease. Some people with wheat allergy or wheat intolerance can tolerate spelt."

I know I can't eat it.
    As far as gluten-free substitutes for the real thing, Tinkyada pastas are amazing. Made from rice, they cook up to a reasonable facsimile of 'real' pasta. Most grocery stores are now carrying them!
    I love rice pastas and noodles! I make my own macaroni and cheese with soft goat cheese and goat milk (note: allergy to cow milk).
  • iRun4wine
    iRun4wine Posts: 5,126
    Options
    I'm gluten-intolerant and a picky eater! I HATE rice, which many that can't have gluten use in place of pasta.

So, these are some of my most popular choices for the following meals: (I really don't mix it up too much!)

Breakfast:
    - Coffee
    - Rice cakes w/ peanut butter
    - Specially marked gluten-free rolled oats with fruit, cinnamon, etc.-whatever you like (oatmeal doesn't contain gluten, but is often cross contaminated during processing)
    - Cereal (either Cinnamon Chex, or Nature's Path Crispy Vanilla Sunrise)

Lunch:
    - Chobani Greek yogurt with gluten-free granola ( you have to be careful and investigate different brands) and fruit
    - Oat meal (again, specially marked gluten-free oats) with fruit
    - Apple or orange
    - Omelet
    - Tuna
    -Salad
    - Cereal (either Cinnamon Chex, or Nature's Path Crispy Vanilla Sunrise)

Snack:
    - Southbeach protein bar
    - Yogurt
    - Fruit
    - Veggies w/ hummus
    - Baked tortilla chips w/ salsa

Dinner:
    - Ground chicken/turkey (use to make burgers, chili, tacos, meatloaf, etc.)
    - Potatoes
    - Green beans
    - Omelet
    - Salad

Dessert:
    - Apple cinnamon rice cake w/ chocolate peanut butter
    - popcorn
    - ice cream/frozen yogurt
    - fruit

I hope that helps. Like I said, I don't mix it up much, I'm a picky eater, and I"m not a "meat and potatoes" person. :flowerforyou:
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your ideas! I really appreciate it! I can't wait to see if this actually helps... I'm tired of my stomach hurting!
  • simona1972
    simona1972 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Before I was diagnosed with Colitis, I was on a gluten free diet and these sites were lifesavers...

www.celiac.com/gluten-free/ <-- this is a forum with tons of great info.

www.glutenfreechecklist.com <-- they have a "what's for dinner" newsletter. Great ideas.
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    If you ever plan on leaving the house to eat :laugh: check out www.glutenfreeregistry.com It has been a total life-saver! :bigsmile:
  • Sepa
    Sepa Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Im sooooo glad there is a post for this. I have to lead a wheat free diet as I am allergic to it (got tested about a year ago) and its sometimes difficult to think of other inspiring foods to eat. My fave food was toast and marmite and wheat free alternatives just dont make the grade! Any help with what others each would be much apreciated. Add me as a friend so we can maybe look at eachothers daily food diaries :smile: :smile:
  • iRun4wine
    Options
    We have a gluten-free group here on MFP:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/114512-gluten-free-girls-and-guys?page=12#posts-2147265

The more the merrier! :flowerforyou:
  • matscichick
    Options
    I had an food allergy panel done b/c of a really bad reaction I had to a whey protein shake. Turns out I'm intolerant of...Barley, Basil, Broccoli, cheedar cheese, cottage cheese, swiss cheese, cocoa, garlic, gluten, mushroom, peanut, black pepper, rye, sesame, wheat, bakers yeast, brewers yeast, and yogurt.

A few of those on the list I could care less about BUT I eat cottage cheese and yogurt everyday!! :'(

Tried to go to the grocery store last night and man was that overwhelming. At this moment I don't have a very good attitude about all this. I tested higher for broccoli, cheddar cheese, and the highest for swiss cheese, peanut, and bakers yeast.

I can do without bread (for the most part), peanut butter will be hard. My biggest problem is finding a good protein (was cottage cheese and greek yogurt) for my snacks. I eat 5 times a day per my trainers recommendations.

I'd love some suggestions...this is very overwhelming!!

Thanks!