Success stories from using Gazelle eliptical?

Options
smframe1
smframe1 Posts: 17 Member
We were given a Gazelle eliptical and until we can purchase a treadmill or eliptical it's better than nothing. Can anyone share actual success stories from using one. I last used it for 45 min at average of 5.8 speed. It showed I burned 430 calories. I do feel like I got a good workout, but just wonder if it will be worth the time. I've read both good and bad reviews. Thank you:)

Replies

• Andrew_peter
    Andrew_peter Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I had one for a while, but found it to be rickety and a little clunky to use, was right at the upper limit of the weight limit on it... With the resistance pistons set on it I could get a pretty good workout though. I've tried the ones without the resistance pistons and honestly I don't know how anyone could work up a sweat on those things. Also, use a heart rate monitor if you want to estimate calories burned as these machines are notoriously inaccurate at estimating calories unless they have strap on chest monitor or the like built in. You may be eating too much if you are eating back exercise calories based on what they are telling you.
  • mohamedkt
    Options
    I used it during the first week of my journey. I lost 5 pounds using for just 30 minutes a day for 4 days. I also completely changed my diet, but the Gazelle contributed to the loss. I fell off and will restart my journey again soon. To know how many calories you burned use this( http://www.fatburn.com/free_tool_activity_burn.asp It has the Gazelle as a choice), because I heard that the counter isn't always accurate.
  • smframe1
    smframe1 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you! =)
  • Nanba007
    Nanba007 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use it for 2 miles a days, works wonders on the waist, hip area. I love it.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options
    Moving is good. Not moving is bad. If the elliptical gets you moving, then it is good. Don't let getting caught up in the details stop you from working out.
  • Funnyfishat40
    Funnyfishat40 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    "Moving is good. Not moving is bad. If the elliptical gets you moving, then it is good. Don't let getting caught up in the details stop you from working out."

THIS
  • Leeann1979
    Leeann1979 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    It is better than nothing, for sure. I just bought one a couple months ago from the classifieds, and no matter how quick I went, my heart rate didn't go up at all. THe one I have has no resistance levels, so its already packed away in the storage room. I bought an elliptical instead.

But absolutely use it if its all you have. Any movement is better than sitting on the couch!!
  • meredith1123
    meredith1123 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I think we use the options we have, and that is exactly what you are doing. IF you are up and at it, then at least that is what you are doing. not to mention - ANY exercise is better than none. JUst do what you are doing and if its working, keep working it girl!
  • jlbeals
    jlbeals Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I have one and rather like it. There are ways to change your posture and stuff that increases difficulty if you find it too easy. The booklet that came with it has several different exercises listed. I started at 254 and I'm down to 195 since June. That's not all the Gazelle, of course - I alternate strength days and cardio days, and of course, better diet, but overall it doesn't matter what your weight loss tool of choice is as long as you find something you like enough to actually stick to it. I like the Gazelle because it's really portable and I can cart it around the house to wherever I feel like working out - the porch, in front of the tv, etc.

I would advise getting a heart rate monitor instead of going by the calorie counter on the machine though - it's extremely inaccurate.
  • vhawkshaw
    vhawkshaw Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Using a heart rate monitor I found that a 30 minute 4MPH treadmill walk and a 15.5 minute Gazelle HIIT Cardio routine burn the same calories for me.

I have the Gazelle model with no resistance pistons--the absence of those "helps" my workout. I "sprint" on it for all I'm worth for 30 seconds, then do moderate activity for 45, then back to 100% effort, etc... I move the heart-rate monitor up by 20-40 beats during the process of the first couple sets, and then it stays within about 10 beats of max the rest of the workout. I find the heart rate monitor shows a higher number than the gazelle counter--and know the heart rate monitor is more accurate. For example--the Gazelle may show 155 cals. burned, but he heart rate monitor is showing 205 cals. burned for the same time period.

Between sprints I control resistance with the arms, and often work the upper body while "resting" up for the next sprint by leaning forward heavy on the upper body.

I short, it works for me, much better than the treadmill (which was giving me shin splints and knee problems when I tried to do HIIT Cardio on it). But you really have to "go wild" on the Gazelle to get the desired results--a leisurely "back and forth" on it will be useless.
  • CharT5188
    CharT5188 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs using one a few years ago. I gained it all back and more, but that wasn't the gazelle's fault! :wink:
  • Maybee77
    Options
    I have the power plus model, with the pistons. I love mine. I get a good work out on it. Don't believe the calorie burned counter on it though, its so wrong.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    We had one, and my daughter, who weighed about 130 at the time, would go at it full force, and she was sweating bullets.
  • Jill_newimprovedversion
    Options
    This is my MAIN form of exercise- and I've lost 48 lbs.= been in maintenance for 2 yrs.

I was in a car accident and after 5 months, physical therapy cleared me to get back on it,
    I've been using it once again.

Walking is my other form of exercise.

As someone else said, moving is always better than sitting.
    You don't always have to be dripping sweat- start out slow and just get into the routine of
    moving- if you aren't used to it.

Later you add intensity....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!