ill with the flu...

Options
So frustrating, 4th time in two month. Really messes up my diet plan and gym routine and I'm so desperate to lose a Dress size for summer!

Any one else the same? Calorie counting is out the window and craving carbs for a high energy boost cause I feel weak and awful.

Replies

• jeme3
    jeme3 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    If you feel weak and awful, go to bed.

Carbs might give you a very short term boost, but what you really need is healthy consistency and rest.

Stay home, sleep, drink plenty of fluids, eat healthy and within your calories.

Once you're feeling better, add the gym back in.
  • Bonnielil76
    Options
    Give your body rest and time to recover, stay hydrated, and make your goals this week to get healthy and just maintain your weight while you are recovering. I was very sick last weekend (as in dead would have felt better) and couldn't really eat food without getting queasy until Weds. I have spent most of my week eating a pretty bland diet (mashed potatoes, white rice, grilled cheese sandwiches, and slowly added more substantive foods as I was able to tolerate more), made sure I was getting enough fluid and decided to give my body a week off from exercise. I lost a couple pounds which I wasn't expecting or even trying to do. My goal was to keep food down and stay hydrated. I certainly wouldn't recommend eating like this on a regular basis and I'm happy to report I am able to eat normally again - yay!
  • LadyBirdGo
    LadyBirdGo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    yeah it sucks when the flu interferes with your weight loss. I just had the flu twice within three months (late September and then again around late December ) two different strains of the flu. this is the first time this has ever happened to me in my entire life, and I was vaccinated! this was a really really BAD flu season. I gained a lot of weight too. strange because my mom had it and she felt like she couldn't keep anything down because her stomach was so upset. I on the other hand was really hungry all the time. The important thing is just to get well. Getting over the flu is the most important thing and avoiding a secondary infection. I wish I had just gotten the Tamiflu like others in my family. I didn't and then I ended up getting bronchitis so I was sick even longer....which then made me gain more weight.

One thing I would recommend is to try to stay away from the carbs, high sodium, and sugary foods as much as you possibly can.These were the things that really seemed to throw me off track during the flu. Don't even bother with the cardio....your body needs to rest.