sugar from fruit

Options
very much an over discussed topic. I've done a lot of reading on it. the strong opinions vary from "you can eat as much fruit as you want" to "never eat fruit...too much sugar". on top of this, MFP sets sugar levels at like 30 or so...which you can blow by if you eat 1 apple or banana. so far I had been letting myself have 2-3 servings of fruit per day, but am thinking of just eliminating it (or else reducing to just 1 serving a day) to see if that helps w/ weight loss. hard for me to wrap my head around considering fruit to be on the same level as candy though.

Replies

• BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    Options
    It's helped me. My appetite is much better controlled eating low carb/sugar.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Eat as much fruit as you want
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    ah, low carb/low sugar I can understand - and generally I agree - but then do we really count fruit the same as any other carb/sugar? I have difficulty doing that, and as a life long thing, I know I will be eating plenty of fruit, but am willing to restrict them now if it helps me lose weight as part of an overall system..... its just hard for me to think of fruit as anything but good for you.

so now I have two people weighing in on both sides w/ the same two answers....eat as much as you want...or control it....lol....perhaps there is no answer.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
  • JENNY7634
    JENNY7634 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I recently gave up unhealthy and added sugars and the weight is falling off! However I eat a banana every day along with one other fruit. Fruit is still low on the glycemic index so although it has sugar its natural and it does not raise your blood glucose levels like sweets and candy do. Your body can turn them to energy. Check out the glycemic index. In my opinion fruit should definately be a part of a healthy lifestyle : )
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I count the sugar in fruit, so I stick to berries (strawberries, blackberries -- low in sugar). Does it make a difference? Oh I don't know -- I just do it because I'm happy with my results and feel better since i've cut way back on sugar. Your results might be different.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Recommended sugar is 45g for men, so I upped mine manually on MFP.

I'd tend to echo the sentiments of others - so long as you don't have blood sugar issues, or other serious diabetes risk factors, I'd not restrict fruit. I think that coupled with the bulk of fruit, you're unlikely to be able to eat yourself diabetic on apples.
  • IkirPaulson
    IkirPaulson Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    ah, low carb/low sugar I can understand - and generally I agree - but then do we really count fruit the same as any other carb/sugar? I have difficulty doing that, and as a life long thing, I know I will be eating plenty of fruit, but am willing to restrict them now if it helps me lose weight as part of an overall system..... its just hard for me to think of fruit as anything but good for you.

so now I have two people weighing in on both sides w/ the same two answers....eat as much as you want...or control it....lol....perhaps there is no answer.

I think it comes down to personal balance. Eat as much fruit as you want…in moderation.
    Do you want to eat fruits because you crave sugar and want to feed the craving with healthy alternatives? If so, fruit is way better than candy. They are complex sugars/carbs that break down slower in the body versus the processed sugars that can overwork the pancreas.

Do you want to eat fruits not because you like sweets, but because you want to meet all your nutrition requirements? If so, there are many other options that care nutritionally dense but without all the sugar. Need vitamin C from an orange? Try bell peppers or kale instead. Need potassium from bananas? Try spinach or tomatoes instead.

I personally have a MAJOR sweet tooth and am considered "pre-diabetic" although the guidelines for what is considered pre-diabetic has changed over the years.

It is a challenge to find nutritionally dense foods that are not overloaded with calories and sugar. If you're into it, a multivitamin or additional supplements might be a good way to fill in the gaps.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

One side is clearly wrong. Eat as much fruit as you want. Stop tracking sugar. It makes no difference to your weight loss
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    ^Agreed with Dav.

I get so tempted to just suggest a nice, delicious, almost sugar-free avocado to the OP every time one of those threads pops up...

But in a more appropriate sense, it probably would be therapeutic for people who have problems with cravings and the sugar in fruit to make a meal out of it. Srsly. Get a KG (2lb) of apples for dinner, sit down and eat them all. Every, last one, with their sugary evilness. Don't stop because you're feeling full, or in pain, or anything. Eat. Every. Last. Apple. Then, I suspect, by morning, any and all attachments to fruit will be looooong gone. :P
  • rocket_ace
    rocket_ace Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    thanks guys - good thoughts. w/r/t " Get a KG (2lb) of apples" - I think that's only like 3 apples depending how big...but its an interesting thought process for sure!!
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options

102 pounds lost doing this ^^^ when it becomes the "healthier choice" to cut out fruit I will stop trying to be "healthy"
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I must admit I've been asking myself the same question, I've been sticking with not restricting fruit.
  • lacurandera1
    lacurandera1 Posts: 8,083 Member
    Options
    I ate a ton of fruit when I was losing, and it didn't seem to hinder me at all. Do what makes you happy and what you like, but I'm one of those eat all the fruit people. Unless we're talking about only eating fruit all day everyday. That's probably a bad idea.