Just a few questions

Options
Hello, I have three questions.

Background 1
Right now I'm about 15 lbs from my UGW and I know people say to lower your deficit as you get closer to your goal. Right now I have about 57lbs of BF @ 32% BF and hoping to get to 25% in hopes that the 15 lbs will be all fat, although realistically some may be LBM.

Losing 15 lbs of fat still leaves me with about 42 lbs BF and was thinking for my height I should be 115-154 and with 25% BF I could keep my deficit the same until I get to my UGW without weight loss slowing down since to me 42 lbs of fat is a good amount of fat.

1. What do you think about my theory?

Background 2
When I get to my UGW my plan is to eat maintenance while weight training so I can maintain or increase my LBM. I read that people new to weight training can gain minimal LBM while eating at maintenance and then after a while they need to eat at a surplus. I plan on doing heavy lifting 3x/wk and light cardio for 30 mins 2x/wk

1. Is this information correct?
2. With 42 lbs of fat, would I need to eat at a surplus after a while? If so, how long is should I eat at maintenance before increasing my intake? I was hoping I could just remain eating maintenance if possible. My goal is to gain or maintain my LBM in hopes that the increase of LBM or the use of it will burn off another 11 lbs of fat bringing me down to 20% BF. Is this possible?

Thank you!

Replies

• aliciab307
    aliciab307 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    bumpidybump
  • erinsueburns
    erinsueburns Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Is there any reason you aren't doing strength training now to maintain your lean body mass while losing fat? That would seem to be the most effective solution to making sure those past few pounds you lose really are just fat.

As for strength training on maintenance while having some extra body fat. I dont know if you can build muscle without that surplus, but it is something I've been pondering.
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Is there any reason you aren't doing strength training now to maintain your lean body mass while losing fat? That would seem to be the most effective solution to making sure those past few pounds you lose really are just fat.

Right now I'm doing a lot of squats, lunges, push ups etc in insanity to maintain the bit of LBM I have. I was doing a bit of strength training for a few months on and off but no longer have the accessibility to dumbbells or a gym. I'm hoping in the next few weeks I'll have access to weight train.
    As for strength training on maintenance while having some extra body fat. I dont know if you can build muscle without that surplus, but it is something I've been pondering.

Ok thanks. I believe I read something like that on a reputable website bodyrecomp, or some other site..
  • aliciab307
    Options
    Anyone else????
  • aliciab307
    Options
    BUMP!
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Most people here will probably tell you that if you want to add muscle, you need to eat above "maintenance." The thing is, if you are currently eating at a deficit, you don't really know what your "maintenance" calories are. ESPECIALLY if you'll be adding new exercises.

I personally think it's less frustrating to just change one major thing at a time. Then wait 3-4 weeks and make another major change. For instance, start the weight lifting now, while still eating at a deficit. You will gain a little muscle and tone the ones you have. Then once you're at your UGW, THEN change only your calorie level, slowly, over a few weeks.
  • blues4miles
    blues4miles Posts: 1,481 Member
    Options
    Most people here will probably tell you that if you want to add muscle, you need to eat above "maintenance." The thing is, if you are currently eating at a deficit, you don't really know what your "maintenance" calories are. ESPECIALLY if you'll be adding new exercises.

I personally think it's less frustrating to just change one major thing at a time. Then wait 3-4 weeks and make another major change. For instance, start the weight lifting now, while still eating at a deficit. You will gain a little muscle and tone the ones you have. Then once you're at your UGW, THEN change only your calorie level, slowly, over a few weeks.

I agree with this.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

I agree with this.

I mostly agree with this, just couple of points:

Do start the weight training while eating at a deficit. Although you cannot gain significant muscle on a deficit outside of newbie gains (which only apply the first 16 weeks anyway), this will help you preserve and improve the muscle tone of the LBM you currently have, so that when you reach UGW you will look really great. At that point, you can start eating at a surplus and gain more muscle mass, then cut back down to see the muscle definition.