Weigh In & Measure Inches???

Options
I was just wondering how many of you measure inches along with weigh-ins. I've heard before that sometimes when you are frustrated that you haven't lost weight that you actually are losing inches, but gaining muscle. So do you measure inches? And is this true?

Replies

• tree79
    tree79 Posts: 6
    Options
    I have been doing this, and it is very encouraging to me, since I've only lost seven pounds since I joined in November, which doesn't seem like much, but I've lost two and a half inches around my hips and two around my waist. (Which translates into about two pants sizes, in my case!) It may be helpful to you as well; I think it depends on the person.
  • ellipse22
    ellipse22 Posts: 137
    Options
    I have noticed with measuring that it can a little while to lose inches. I have reserved myself to only measuring on a monthly basis.
    I would definetly measure. When you measure is up to you!
  • janiceofsc
    Options
    2 pants size is great.keep up the good work.
  • snorker88
    snorker88 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist, hips, thighs and arms each month. Plus I take my body fat and muscle mass from my super clever scale each month too!
  • BassBoneBabe
    BassBoneBabe Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I measure my waist monthly because of a group that I am on for MFP. The full body measurements I do every other month.
  • lab_goddess
    lab_goddess Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I measure every time I weigh in. It has happened that i only had a 1/2 pound loss one week, but had lost at least an inch in my waist--it was a great motivator when the scale was not!
    Good luck!
    :flowerforyou:
  • AllisonMS
    AllisonMS Posts: 104
    Options
    Here's another perspective:

I didn't at my highest weight, and now I wish I had.

Big regret, so if you're at the beginning of your journey, I'd say do it.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone!!! I just started this past Saturday with working out and eating right and now I plan on picking up a tape measure tonight so I can know where I started!
  • anikki0718
    Options
    Glad I found this since I was just thinking to myself if I should start measuring. I think that seeing your progress in other ways besides the scale is a great motivator. I plan to do it every two weeks to start and then maybe once a month.
  • shellshalla
    shellshalla Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the responses! I did measure myself so I will be able to follow that. I think i'll plan on checking that every 2-3 weeks. It was a little harsh seeing the numbers for sure, but seeing them go down will be great :)
  • ellipse22
    ellipse22 Posts: 137
    Options
    At my assessment he measured me just below my rib cage for my waist and then my abdomen (across the belly button) so as it turns out I was measure right all along ;-)