Why 99% of Dieters Fail?

Options
99% of dieters say that they break their diet because they are depressed, stressed or bored. Feelings, not lack of willpower, get in

Getting in touch with these feelings and dealing effectively with them I believe is one of the keys to lifestyle change and keeping the weight off once we lose... or even losing it in the first place.

Replies

• neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    that is true

although before anyone resorts to psychology, you need to rule out that the symptoms in question don't actually come from the body's normal physiological responses to too few calories. Feeling depressed and stressed can be the result of not eating enough, or being deficient in a particular nutrient, e.g. not enough healthy fat, not enough carbohydrate to sustain their activity levels.

Once you know that's not happening, then go for it with the psychology, it can be extremely useful. It's just that you can't out-psychology a natural, physiological survival response.
  • tiffanyheth
    tiffanyheth Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    One of my mantras is "It's not what I feel, it's what I know". For example, when I don't FEEL like working out, but I KNOW that I if I don't today, I'll be less likely to do it tomorrow, then I try to push the feel away and concentrate on what is truth for me.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Because people who are obese generally got there from emotional crap causing them to stuff their faces to begin with. Why would this suddenly change when they went on a diet? Humans in general come across as emotionally soft sissies who cry over the slightest things. Why food is their 'go-to' for this issue is a combination of hormonal problems, ease of acquisition, and ease of application.

Something tells me that if people still had to hunt and gather their food, you'd see a lot less QQ fatties around.

TL;DR- life is too damned easy now.
  • raeleek
    raeleek Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Because people who are obese generally got there from emotional crap causing them to stuff their faces to begin with. Why would this suddenly change when they went on a diet? Humans in general come across as emotionally soft sissies who cry over the slightest things. Why food is their 'go-to' for this issue is a combination of hormonal problems, ease of acquisition, and ease of application.

Something tells me that if people still had to hunt and gather their food, you'd see a lot less QQ fatties around.

I agree. There is no great mystery as to why everyone is gaining weight. There is also no great mystery as to why it's not going to just fix it's self. EVERYTHING is done for us. There are machines that fix machines. I don't think people in the past had some strict diet and exercise routine, they just had to physically work to survive!
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    oops. did not give complete quote.

99% of dieters say that they break their diet because they are depressed, stressed or bored. Feelings, not lack of willpower, get in the way of successful dieting.
  • peterdt
    Options
    I don't know. When I break my diet, it's usually because I say, "kcuf it. I just want to eat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and Ice Cream." And, then I do. It's not emotional. I just love that stuff so much.

man I love that too. love is not an emotions?
  • peterdt
    Options
    The rate of obesity has increased dramatically in the 3 decades too. It's all that cheap, easy and highly advertises processed foods. also, all the crappy diet advise we've been getting. I think good advise is finally coming to the fore though.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Wouldn't say life is too easy, necessarily, or that we have become soft sissies. More that it's socially unacceptable to take out your frustrations by pulverizing your neighbor with the club you use to bash in a sabertooth's head. (Or any club, for that matter.) And for good reason - maintaining a global community is harder when murder and general lack of human civility runs rampant.

Returning the hunter/gatherer way of life is also problematic. Humans outnumber our space now - resources are limited. We have to learn to play nice and share for the majority of us to make it.

I would say that in industrialized countries, our shoddy processing of food to produce quantity over quality has very negatively impacted our health. This would be preferable in countries that are suffering from famine (bad food is better than no food), but that doesn't mean that it's okay for us to be caught in the cycle, either.

Anyhow, so yeah, in a way, life is too easy, if I look at it that way.
  • PonyTailedLoser
    PonyTailedLoser Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I love this post. Thank you :) Maybe it will make me realize why I am doing some things that aren't going to get me anywhere good.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't know. When I break my diet, it's usually because I say, "kcuf it. I just want to eat Reeses Peanut Butter Cups and Ice Cream." And, then I do. It's not emotional. I just love that stuff so much.

Personally, the occasional Reese's is a regular part of my diet. I don't eliminate any foods that I like. Rather, I fit it in my diet. IIFYM
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    that is true

although before anyone resorts to psychology, you need to rule out that the symptoms in question don't actually come from the body's normal physiological responses to too few calories. Feeling depressed and stressed can be the result of not eating enough, or being deficient in a particular nutrient, e.g. not enough healthy fat, not enough carbohydrate to sustain their activity levels.

Once you know that's not happening, then go for it with the psychology, it can be extremely useful. It's just that you can't out-psychology a natural, physiological survival response.

I agree....always rule out the physical before saying psychological is the reason. any good therapist would advise this also. It is important to have a doctor who is knowledgable about the latest research in weight loss.....or a doctor smart enough to refer to a nutritionist/dietician who is up on the subject.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    CarmenSandiegoInVA Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I am always telling people that I'm not on a Diet. I'm changing my lifestyle. It's why I've had success and I have been able to stick to it.
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options

You may find, if you stop for a second when you want to eat things like that and examine what you feel at that moment, that you are emotionally eating. For me, whenever I reach for sweets, or fatty foods I am attempting to bury my feelings. I don't consciously think, "man, I feel like shyte, I'm going to go eat a box of Oreos". It has become a pattern after many many years of comforting myself with food that its more of a reflex. A very difficult pattern to break.
  • 3RachaelFaith3
    3RachaelFaith3 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I think it's mostly because they are "dieting" instead of making lifestyle changes.
  • fuzzieme
    fuzzieme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    99%, you have a point, but you wrecked it with that statistic